By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - "I don't like the taste of alcohol"

Mazty said:
brendude13 said:
Mazty said:

Not anger over disliking alcohol, it's anger over complete ignorance bordering on juvenile arrogance ( I don't like veg as I hate sprouts).

You obviously haven't drank the right beverage if you think everything tastes of ethanol. I'm guessing your judgement is based only on a handful of drinks?

This is getting ridiculous.

I've tasted every one of those drinks you pictured in the OP and then some, doesn't make a difference. I can still taste ethanol, and even if I couldn't, I wouldn't like the taste of it anyway. Even non alcoholic beers, whiskeys and wines would taste disgusting in my opinion.

And even if you did find me one or two alcoholic drinks that I could like, saying "I don't like the taste of alcohol" would still be completely justified as I still dislike the vast majority of them.

Here's the problem: What you are saying is what is rediculous.

What I posted (whiskey, wine and cocktails) come in such a variety that to say you've tasted them and therefore don't like any is like tasting cheap cod and then declaring you hate the taste of all fish. 

For some reason, people just revert back to being 4 when they talk about alcohol. It's odd and annoying in equal measure. 

thranx said:
I know many non drinkers who can not taste the alcohol in Long Island Iced Teas. Other than that I know I can always taste the alcohol too. I had a vodka once, Beluga I think, i drank it straight and it didn't taste like alchohol, but i think that was a rare case

I think people are arguing with you because you're saying that alcoholic drinks taste better than non-alcoholic drinks (orange juice, chocolate milk, coffee), and they're saying that they prefer the taste of the latter. You then automatically process this as them not liking alcoholic drinks at all. I think 99% of people who like alcoholic drinks like it for the effects and not the flavor, because there a lot of cheaper, non-alcoholic options that taste better than your most expensive liquers, wines, beers, etc. And besides, many of the drinks you mentioned are mixed with non-alcoholic drinks to make them TASTE BETTER. lol

"Common sense is not so common." - Voltaire

Platinumed Destiny, Vanquish, Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus, Catherine, and Metal Gear Rising. Get on my level!!

Get your Portable ID!                                                                                     

Around the Network

No one likes the taste of alcohol. They like the flavors and additives put in alcohol. Pure alcohol is just a clear bottle that will burn your esophagus and make you spit it back up.

So this is sort of an argument of semantics, more than anything else. No one is going to say "Oh my God, I LOVE that bottle of Everclear. It tastes delicious." But, someone could easily say, "Man, I LOVE that mixed drink with coconut and pineapple juice mixed with Barcadi 151."

It's all about how the beverage is prepared. The same applies to beer. There is no such thing as "pure alcohol" that you can buy, unless your buying a bottle of denatured Ethyl or something, like in the picture of the OP.

In certain states, Michigan for example, it's illegal to sell any alcohol above 151 proof.  Anything over that is strictly banned.

The Screamapillar is easily identified by its constant screaming—it even screams in its sleep. The Screamapillar is the favorite food of everything, is sexually attracted to fire, and needs constant reassurance or it will die.

Icy-Zone said:

I think people are arguing with you because you're saying that alcoholic drinks taste better than non-alcoholic drinks (orange juice, chocolate milk, coffee), and they're saying that they prefer the taste of the latter. You then automatically process this as them not liking alcoholic drinks at all. I think 99% of people who like alcoholic drinks like it for the effects and not the flavor, because there a lot of cheaper, non-alcoholic options that taste better than your most expensive liquers, wines, beers, etc. And besides, many of the drinks you mentioned are mixed with non-alcoholic drinks to make them TASTE BETTER. lol

Please find where I said alcoholic drinks taste better than non-alcholic drinks.

Stating they can be full of complex flavours =/= better. 

Screamapillar said:

No one likes the taste of alcohol. They like the flavors and additives put in alcohol. Pure alcohol is just a clear bottle that will burn your esophagus and make you spit it back up. 

So this is sort of an argument of semantics, more than anything else. No one is going to say "Oh my God, I LOVE that bottle of Everclear. It tastes delicious." But, someone could easily say, "Man, I LOVE that mixed drink with coconut and pineapple juice mixed with Barcadi 151."

It's all about how the beverage is prepared. The same applies to beer. There is no such thing as "pure alcohol" that you can buy, unless your buying a bottle of denatured Ethyl or something, like in the picture of the OP.

In certain states, Michigan for example, it's illegal to sell any alcohol above 151 proof.  Anything over that is strictly banned.

Kind of. I just don't see why people think it's acceptable to make such a phenomenalsweeping generalisation and generally I find they only do so when they have very little experience with alcoholic drinks. 
For someone to say "I tend to not like alcohol, but I really like "X" cocktail" makes much more sense than white-washing the likes of whiskey and wine together. To mix all booze under one umbrella makes as much sense as saying "I don't like anything with salt in it". 

brendude13 said:

"I don't like the taste of alcohol"

Yup, sounds like a 4 year old to me. So much butthurt.

Really? I say how making a sweeping generalisation with little experience borders on juvenile and then you go and make that comment? 
K then. If that's the calibre of argument you want to put forward than so be it...

Screamapillar said:

Kind of. I just don't see why people think it's acceptable to make such a phenomenalsweeping generalisation and generally I find they only do so when they have very little experience with alcoholic drinks. 
For someone to say "I tend to not like alcohol, but I really like "X" cocktail" makes much more sense than white-washing the likes of whiskey and wine together. To mix all booze under one umbrella makes as much sense as saying "I don't like anything with salt in it". 

Everything I've stated is true.  I'm not generalizing, I'm just telling you that it's all about how the beverage is prepared for consumption.  Doesn't matter whether it's a cocktail, wine, or beer, what I've said applies to all of that.  Those kinds of alcohol are all different, but they all share the same underlying principle in that how well it tastes, etc all depends on how it is prepared for consumption.

The Screamapillar is easily identified by its constant screaming—it even screams in its sleep. The Screamapillar is the favorite food of everything, is sexually attracted to fire, and needs constant reassurance or it will die.

Yeah, claiming that "alcohol tastes bad" is very strange, there are a million different flavors and mixes and one would also have to exclude ever eating any sauce with alcohol in it (if it "tastes bad" in a drink mix, it "tastes bad" in a sauce), alcohol treated meats and seafood etc.

Now I'm fine with people not liking or drinking alcohol but "it tastes bad" is a silly reason that buckels under it's own inaccuracy. There are some alcoholic drinks I don't like either, I hate the taste of wine, whiskey, cognac and a lot of types of beer, I simply never drink them, its not any worse than that. But, even something I hate, like whiskey, tastes good in a Irish Coffee, once again showing that claiming that a whole group of liquid with a certain quality "tastes bad" is strange and silly.

Like I said; don't want to drink alcohol or get drunk, good! More power to you, I'm not a huge fan of what it has done to modern society. But, come up with a better argument.

Around the Network
allblue said:
Ugh I drink, but only to socialize or on the rare occasions that I go out. Alcohol just might be an acquired taste, but generally all of them possess this bitter burning after taste that make my appetite disappear for a day or two after a night out. This also includes beer, I don't find the taste or the smell of beer particularly pleasant either. I do socialize and have a hot girlfriend just in case some body might try to slap an introverted stereotype on me.

Maybe that's why you have one... beacuse you don't get drunk or "wasted" :)

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Screamapillar said:
Screamapillar said:

Everything I've stated is true.  I'm not generalizing, I'm just telling you that it's all about how the beverage is prepared for consumption.  Doesn't matter whether it's a cocktail, wine, or beer, what I've said applies to all of that.  Those kinds of alcohol are all different, but they all share the same underlying principle in that how well it tastes, etc all depends on how it is prepared for consumption.

Oh yeah I'm not saying what you said is wrong - it isn't. As you said no one likes the taste of neat alcohol,; it's when people use that term to describe alcoholic drinks that it makes no sense. 

Naum said:
allblue said:
Ugh I drink, but only to socialize or on the rare occasions that I go out. Alcohol just might be an acquired taste, but generally all of them possess this bitter burning after taste that make my appetite disappear for a day or two after a night out. This also includes beer, I don't find the taste or the smell of beer particularly pleasant either. I do socialize and have a hot girlfriend just in case some body might try to slap an introverted stereotype on me.

Maybe that's why you have one... beacuse you don't get drunk or "wasted" :)

xD Getting drunk and wasted with gf's can lead to good nights. Women aren't inherently disgusted by getting drunk - in my experience only the boring ones are. 

i like the taste but i choose not to drink it

PlaystaionGamer said:
i like the taste but i choose not to drink it

Why's that?

I like the taste of beer but I'm seldomly in the mood for the effect alcohol has. Alcoholfree beer is disgusting.