By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is The Mario Series Really All That Milked? (No, It's Not.)

Tagged games:

Deyon said:
nuckles87 said:

Which is irrelevant because you specifically referred to graphics and game play.

So now we have to dismiss the obvious just because i didn't say it in my first post?

Well, no. In fact this was the point that I made earlier.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=5121469

What I'm saying here is that until we proved you wrong several times that wasn't your point.

But yes, the Mario franchise is most DEFINITELY milked. But how exactly is that a bad thing?

Around the Network
nuckles87 said:

Well, no, your point was that he starred in the same game with the same graphics every six months, which isn't true.

Dude, why are you so mad? everyone knows that Mario is without a doubt milked and half of his games are the SAME!

Nothing new everyone knows that, CHILL!

nuckles87 said:
Deyon said:
nuckles87 said:

Which is irrelevant because you specifically referred to graphics and game play.

So now we have to dismiss the obvious just because i didn't say it in my first post?

Well, no. In fact this was the point that I made earlier.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=5121469

What I'm saying here is that until we proved you wrong several times that wasn't your point.

But yes, the Mario franchise is most DEFINITELY milked. But how exactly is that a bad thing?

Which one? The New Super Mario Bros. franchise? The Mario Kart franchise? The Mario Tennis franchise? The Mario Football franchise? The Paper Mario franchise? The Mario&Luigi franchise? The Mario Party franchise? I guess you'll  have to be a bit more specific :P

If your post actually was about the character Mario, then I fully agree^^

Deyon said:
nuckles87 said:

Well, no, your point was that he starred in the same game with the same graphics every six months, which isn't true.

Dude, why are you so mad? everyone knows that Mario is without a doubt milked and half of his games are the SAME!

Someone who doesn't play Nintendo games, confirmed. And he obviously is blind.

Predictions for LT console sales:

PS4: 120M

XB1: 70M

WiiU: 14M

3DS: 60M

Vita: 13M

Deyon said:
nuckles87 said:

I think you are seeing something in my posts that isn't really there. I'm not angry XD. I'm not a particularly huge Mario fan. I only like a few select games in the franchise. I am perfectly calm here.

Prove that half of his games are the same. You must keep your evidence to the last ten years. In other words, no games released before 2003.

I'll wait.

Around the Network
nuckles87 said:

the Mario franchise is most DEFINITELY milked. But how exactly is that a bad thing?

It hurts me as a fan to see this beloved character who i grew up with turned into a whore.

It's not. If we count every Mario game as being the same thing, then yes, it is milked hard. However, as i don't see any gameplay resemblance from Paper Mario to Mario Tennis or NSMB to Mario Strikers except the fact that these games have the same characters, i can't say the franchise is milked. In fact, given the sales of the Mario series sub-franchises, i would say, absolutely, that the series isn't milked at all.

For example, let's see release dates from the Paper Mario sub-series, which is a RPG:

Paper Mario(2000)
TTYD(2004)
Super Paper Mario(2007)
Sticker Star(2012)

So, roughly, what we have here is a quite reasonable 4 year space between new releases on this particular sub-series and only 4 games made for it in 12 years of existance. Absolutely not milking. Now let's compare that number to another Mario sub-series, Mario Kart, a racing series:

Super Mario Kart (1992)
Mario Kart 64 (1996)
Mario Kart: Super Circuit (2001)
Mario Kart: Double Dash‼ (2003)
Mario Kart DS (2005)
Mario Kart Wii (2008)
Mario Kart 7 (2011)

So that gives us about 2 years between new releases, with 6 game releases, including portable ones, over almost 20 years. Not milking at all when we take in account how many little games have been released for a whole 20 years, i believe it's a reasonable time space between releases.

Now, let's get another series outside Nintendo for comparisons. What about God of War, from Sony, which is a series that's, in my view, not accused of milking by some gamers?

God of War(2005, PS2)
God of War II(2007, PS2)
God of War: Betrayal(2007, Mobile)
God of War: Chains of Olympus(2008, PSP)
God of War Collection(2009, PS3)
God of War III(2010, PS3)
God of War: Ghost of Sparta(2010, PSP)
God of War: Origins Collection(2011, PS3)
God of War Saga(2012, PS3)
God of War Ascencion(2013, PS3)

So what we have here is, roughly, less than a year space between releases in a 8 year old series, that has 10 games which have the exact same gameplay(hack'n slash). And that's not accused of milking.

PS: Not trying to criticize God of War or anything, because it's one of my favourites hack'n slash games ever. It was only mentioned for comparison purposes.

Deyon said:
nuckles87 said:

the Mario franchise is most DEFINITELY milked. But how exactly is that a bad thing?

It hurts me as a fan to see this beloved character who i grew up with turned into a whore.

Hate to break it to you, but Mario was always a whore.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mario_video_games

Go to about 1984 after they stopped porting Donkey Kong to everything.

Deyon said:
nuckles87 said:

Dude, your original post claimed that Mario uses the same graphics, gameplay, comes out EVERY 6 months and the same name. First off, the graphics in NSMBU and 2 are completely different. The style is the same, but nothing is reused. Gameplay is Mario. When Mario has had many 2D platformers, how much room is there for evolution in a series that has been going strong for 20+ years. Every 6 months, every 6 months.. ok so let me get this straight 2D Mario platformers come out every 6 months. Yeah, technically you didn't say 2D platformers come out every 6 months, however the games you described that do don't come out every 6 months. Infact there have only been 4 of them in the past 6 years and Nintendo themselves confirmed we won't be seeing anymore NSMB games until a new platform. NSMB isn't milked, Mario is the one who is milked.

RazorDragon said:

God of War(2005, PS2)
God of War II(2007, PS2)
God of War: Betrayal(2007, Mobile)
God of War: Chains of Olympus(2008, PSP)
God of War III(2010, PS3)
God of War: Ghost of Sparta(2010, PSP)
God of War Ascencion(2013, PS3)

Please tell me if i'm wrong but is there a game called, Kratos golf, Kratos tennis, Kratos party, Kratos vs Sonic, Kratos Kart, Kratos at the olympics, Kratos strikers, Kratos Paper, Kratos RPG. Super Kratos Brothers and many more.