By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is The Mario Series Really All That Milked? (No, It's Not.)

Tagged games:

NintendoPie said:
think-man said:
Dynasty warriors is the most milked franchise of all time 8 entries in the main series, from dynasty warriors 4-7 all have 2 spin offs, dynasty warriors 3 has 1 spin off, there was 4 separate dynasty warriors titles on the psp, 1 on the vita, 3 on the DS, Also a dynasty warriors online, 2 dynasty warriors tactics. 3 Dynasty warriors
gundam titles......The list goes on and on and ONNNNNNN but if I was to count every title that had something to do with the dynasty warriors world there would be 35 titles and that excluding other koei titles that use the same battle system but have different titles.

Sure, Dynasty Warriors is milked, but do you think Mario is milked? Or is this basically a "No way."?

Individual series aren't really milked, but the FRANCHISE is milked. There is really no way arguing against that. Literally hundreds of Mario games have been released across various platforms for years, and it is not uncommon for the character to star in at least five games a year. And lets not even get started on the various spin offs starring other Mario characters like Yoshi, Peach, Wario, Donkey Kong and Luigi.

The real question, I think, is does it really matter? I don't really think so. The entire reason why the character stars in so many games is because he's had so many spin offs that have done well enough to essentially warrant becoming their own franchises.

An

Around the Network
Deyon said:
nuckles87 said:

Then I guess Mario isn't milked then, because what you just described isn't Mario.

Those 2 came out 2-5 months ago

With the last NSMB games before them coming out 2006 and 2008. Four games in seven years isn't "milked" in my book, even if two of those games happened to release in the same year. 

Deyon said:
nuckles87 said:

Then I guess Mario isn't milked then, because what you just described isn't Mario.

Those 2 came out 2-5 months ago

Yes, and those were the first NSMBU games since 2009, and the very first NSMB games on their respective platforms. So Mario hardly gets a new one every six months.

So, by your definition, Mario isn't milked. In fact he is far less milked then  Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty, which just recently got two new games THE SAME MONTH, and recieve annual releases. There are PLENTY of game series just as milked, if not more so then NSMBU.

KHlover said:

With the last NSMB games before them coming out 2006 and 2008. Four games in seven years isn't "milked" in my book, even if two of those games happened to release in the same year.

Ok.

How many Games come out in a single year with the name Mario on it?

BaldrSkies said:
NintendoPie said:

I've seen very many people on VGChartz say that the Mario series "Is so milked it's not even funny" or, "Nintendo just doesn't know what to do other than milk a series not even worth the cost of a cardboard box." And I say to these people, are you crazy? Mario is the best selling series out there. You just can't beat it, and, obviously, Nintendo can't either. 

If people are still enjoying the series, what's wrong with a bi-/yearly release? Nothing, I tell you, nothing.

You can start whining about "Mario is so milked!" once Nintendo start releasing more than one in the time span of a few months.

There were 6 Mario themed games in 2012 alone. It's more milked than Call of Duty :P

well thats the thing... Mario doesnt have a theme he is just a character... he is in many genres of games on many platforms where COD is just a FPS getting 1-2 maybe 3 games a year

Around the Network
BaldrSkies said:
Sticker Star wasn't a bad game because it had Mario.

Nintendo tried to sell a bad game by putting Mario on it.

Totally different circumstances here.

PP:SS was by no means a "bad" game like you are saying. Actually, this is more of an opinion here and you are stating it as a fact. A bad game in my book is a buggy, laggy and unoriginal game. The rest of the criterias are just opinion based. So Nintendo didn't try to "sell a bad game by putting Mario on it", you just bought a game that didn't fit your personal taste but a lot of other people enjoyed (myself included)

Predictions for LT console sales:

PS4: 120M

XB1: 70M

WiiU: 14M

3DS: 60M

Vita: 13M

Deyon said:
KHlover said:

Ok.

How many of them come from the same genre? Mario is not a type of genre...

Nintendo and PC gamer

NintendoPie said:
think-man said:
Dynasty warriors is the most milked franchise of all time 8 entries in the main series, from dynasty warriors 4-7 all have 2 spin offs, dynasty warriors 3 has 1 spin off, there was 4 separate dynasty warriors titles on the psp, 1 on the vita, 3 on the DS, Also a dynasty warriors online, 2 dynasty warriors tactics. 3 Dynasty warriors
gundam titles......The list goes on and on and ONNNNNNN but if I was to count every title that had something to do with the dynasty warriors world there would be 35 titles and that excluding other koei titles that use the same battle system but have different titles.

Sure, Dynasty Warriors is milked, but do you think Mario is milked? Or is this basically a "No way."?

Dynasty warriors though it may be one of my most fav franchises is alot more milked to the point where they copy and paste nearly there entire game and add next to nothing in between titles, The first dynasty warriors came out in 1997 and since has spawned more then 35 titles though it wasn't until 2001 that they started milking the franchise, I also forgot to mention they have romance of the three kingdoms set in the same time as dynasty warriors( same characters and everything) which has 12 titles.

Im not quite sure how many titles marios been in but im sure he hasn't been as milked as this.

Deyon said:
KHlover said:

Ok.

KHlover said:
Many people seem to be ignoring that almost all Mario games are in different genres. If you only go by the name being slapped on the package of the game you COULD argue Mario has been milked lately, but I don't think it'd be the right thing to do.

↑                                                                                                                                                                                                      

nuckles87 said:

Yes, and those were the first NSMBU games since 2009, and the very first NSMB games on their respective platforms. So Mario hardly gets a new one every six months.

So, by your definition, Mario isn't milked. In fact he is far less milked then  Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty, which just recently got two new games THE SAME MONTH.

At least CoD and Ac get a new Story/characters with every release.