By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Pach Attack Sony Special: PS4 to Run Games at 1080p 60fps, Games Look like Crysis 2

Pachter doesn't often do shows in the middle of the week, but this time he has with a 13+ minute special that talks about the PlayStation 4. He has had a chance to sit down with six different developers who are currently making games for the system and ask them a slew of questions that many have been wondering about. Essentially, the bottom line in how the system performs versus actually getting exact specs. If you don't feel like or are unable to watch the video above, we'll have a break down below.

Games Will Run in 1080p at 60fps

This is a big sticking point. While Pachter confirmed with them that the box can run games at 240fps, the simple reaction after saying it can is "why would we want to run games at 240fps". It's a fair point, because the 7th generation rarely ran games at 1080p and 60fps. In fact, most games still today are just running in 720p and locked in at 30fps. There is also the whole "how much can the human eye really see" when a game is running at 240fps - it's scientifically proven that at that fps we can't actually processor what we are seeing as fast as it's going. It doesn't necessarily make sense outside of "times when the performance dips". Like when you run a PC game at over 100 fps the nice part isn't how fast it's running, but that when things get hectic it only drops to 40fps, which means we visually can't notice any slow downs.

Still, when pressed further, it was all but confirmed here that games on the PS4 are going to run at 1080p while be locked at 60fps. This means there will be no frame rate drops as 60fps will be the locked in standard.

Games Will Look like Crysis 2 PC

An interesting comment is where Pachter thinks games will run at Crysis 2 PC level. While Crysis 2 on the PC at max settings does likely look better than Crysis 3 on the PS3, it does a telling job of showing that console wise, the PS3 may not be a quantum leap over what we currently have. Naturally, this could imply that the Wii U could stay relevant despite not being nearly as beefy.

That isn't a bad thing however. The days of quantum leaps with each generation may be behind us, and now we get to look forward to simply better overall performance. Locked in at 1080p with 60fps is a vast improvement over the inconsistencies of the 7th generation. The Wii U wont be able to deliver on that same locked in ordeal, so it will be interesting to see how multiplatform games function on the Wii U compared to the PS4.

Link: http://www.gamnesia.com/news/pach-attack-sony-special-ps4-to-run-games-at-1080p-60ffps-games-look-like-c

Around the Network

I have a terrible feeling that all next gen games will be literally indistinguishable from Crysis 2.

Pachter gonna Pach

Really? Only Crysis 2? So much for the rumors of how powerful the PS4 will be...

But can it run Crysis 1?

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

Around the Network
fordy said:
Really? Only Crysis 2? So much for the rumors of how powerful the PS4 will be...

It will look like Crysis 2 on max if PS4 is powerful. To max out Crysis 2 at 1080p and 60 fps you need a 200+ dollar CPU and 300+ dollar GPU.

Also a game running at 240 fps has absolutely no benefits since 99.9% of the display can only display 60 frames per second. Even 120/240 hz TVs are only able to accept 60 frames per second.

Game rendering 240 fps, but TV taking 60 fps = massive screen tearing

Select few 3D LCD monitors and old school CRT's can do true 120 frames per second but I doubt consoles will come with Dual Link DVI connection.

So according to latest Durango rumors, it looks like Crysis on max settings, and now PS4 looks like crysis 2 on max settings.
Well, we have our winner, I think...

I always like watching Pach-attack, but man, he really doesn't know shit about hardware.

1080p? Good. Anything less would be unacceptable.
60FPS? Fantastic actually. I was hoping they wouldn't stick with the 30fps nonsense although I wonder if the 60 fps is so they can have 30fps 3D gaming....

Either way those two numbers are good. However Crysis 2 on PC....I'd prefer to hear the words "Metro 2033 on PC".