By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Stop calling the Origional playstation....PSX

It bugs me too. Barely anyone had a PSX, it is a PS2 DVR and its common use here seems to come from all the posted videos online from gameplay.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

Around the Network
gigantor21 said:
phinch1 said:
gigantor21 said:
I'll call it what I want thanks. ;)

aha hairy muff, people can call it what they wan't its just a pet hate of mine, but i must admit, it was quite a call console and did things a head of its time

Hairy muff? XD

Seriously, though. The reason I call it PSX is because that was the codename for the PS1 during development AFAIK. That, and how I kept seeing it abbreviated that way as a kid.

lol slang, hairy muff....fair enough :)

I can see your point, but it would be like 5 years after the ps4 launches people calling it the orbis still, well thats just my opinion anyway

Either way i still think there are some cool facts about this console, I wonder if it had a slightly higher specs than the ps2, to run the xmb, I always wish the ps2 home screen could have been updated to this, felt like it could have done so much more

RolStoppable said:
If you are old enough, you will remember that the first PlayStation was commonly abbreviated as "PSX" in video game magazines before it retro-actively became the PS1 after the PS2 announcement.and PSone introduction.

I've been playing games since they were on casset tapes lol, but seriously ive never know it called the PSX maybe the name never made it here to the UK

PSX was the only abbreviation for the Playstation back when there was no PS2.

The PSX was not a console between the PS2 and 3, it was a DVR enabled PS2 released only in Japan. Everyone outside of Japan doesn't need to remember the PSX, it wasn't a world wide product.

There was no PS1, there was a PS and a PSone, but no PS1. PS-X was the internal development name for the PS and predated the PSone.

SCEA actually wanted to release the Playstation with the name PSX because they didn't like the name Playstation. I agree with them, to me it sounds like a Playschool toy for babies.

But anyway, we call it PSX because back in the 32bit days the vast majority called it PSX and the name stuck. Back then you either typed Playstation or PSX. All the magazines did it and so did those of us with dial up and a forum to post on.

Around the Network
kain_kusanagi said:

The PSX was not a console between the PS2 and 3, it was a DVR enabled PS2 released only in Japan. Everyone outside of Japan doesn't need to remember the PSX, it wasn't a world wide product.

There was no PS1, there was a PS and a PSone, but no PS1. PS-X was the internal development name for the PS and predated the PSone.

SCEA actually wanted to release the Playstation with the name PSX because they didn't like the name Playstation. I agree with them, to me it sounds like a Playschool toy for babies.

But anyway, we call it PSX because back in the 32bit days the vast majority called it PSX and the name stuck. Back then you either typed Playstation or PSX. All the magazines did it and so did those of us with dial up and a forum to post on.

end thread

kain_kusanagi said:

I still think it's just a states thing, I've never heard it called that here

1) of course it was, how was it not? it wasnt a Playstation, it wasnt a PS2
2) Because it didn't launch anywhere else you want to deney its existance?
3)Exactly, internal development, you wont call the ps4 the orbis when it's released
4) Well tough titties its japans console and they can call it what the hell they wan't and they did.......... Playstation (not PSX)

Can I call it PS10 instead?

Sorry OP but epic fail, PSX has been an accepted term for the original PlayStation since day one.

All the mags I read just used PS. I never saw PSX

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(