By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - RUMOR: New *Final Fantasy* MMO

White engine is tailored for/around/on the Cell, so it's not for all platforms. And the new MMO is Final Fantasy XIV. I thought SE said this outright many months ago? Well, some of us knew at any rate.

Around the Network
dabaus513 said:
It says white engine is ps3 only. I thought it was cross platform?

I thought White Engine was PS3-only and they had licensed Unreal Engine for cross-platform development but I guess I'm wrong since I apparently Hiromichi Tanaka was quoted as saying the white engine is "a common engine, common middleware for all platforms. Almost ready for the next generation of software."

Oh well, it really does not matter, I will soon know what that "all platforms"  means since I'm going to that session.

PSN ID: krik

Optimistic predictions for 2008 (Feb 5 2008): Wii = 20M, PS3 = 14M, X360 = 9.5M

White Engine is cross-platform, there is no FF14, and this MMO has been in development since maybe 2005, is most likely for Xbox 360 and PC, and may have become part of the FFXIII series.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

ClaudeLv250 said:
White Engine is cross-platform, there is no FF14, and this MMO has been in development since maybe 2005, is most likely for Xbox 360 and PC, and may have become part of the FFXIII series.

WOAH WOAH WOAH.

Where do you get his "most likely for Xbox360 and PC" stuff? You do mean PS3 as well?

Or did you pull this straight out of your ass?

Jandre002 said:
ClaudeLv250 said:

WOAH WOAH WOAH.

Where do you get his "most likely for Xbox360 and PC" stuff? You do mean PS3 as well?

Or did you pull this straight out of your ass?

I'm guessing he got it from stuff like this:

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/02/08/square-enix-confirms-new-mmo-for-xbox-360-and-vista-maybe-ps3/

Square Enix confirms new MMO for Xbox 360 & Vista, maybe PS3

by James Ransom-Wiley Feb 8th 2007 3:46PM

Speaking to Pro-G, Square Enix producer Hiromichi Tanaka confirmed that he was working on a new MMORPG bound for Xbox 360 and Windows Vista, adding "PS3 is a possibility." Ten months ago, Tanaka was saying just the opposite about the oft-hinted at MMO -- probably a sequel to Final Fantasy XI; possibly not. In April 2006, Tanaka confirmed the project for PlayStation 3, but made no mention of an Xbox 360 version. Now it would appear that development has shifted away from PS3 and onto Xbox 360.

Since Square Enix has already promised several versions of Final Fantasy XIII for PS3, it's in the company's interest, as a publisher concerned with multi-platform presence, to bring its next MMO to Xbox 360 first; a PS3 version could always come later. The project could also provide an opportunity to make use of Square Enix's recently acquired Unreal Engine 3 license.

Around the Network

Hmmm I remember Square front man saying not too long ago that they would develope for the 360 if it got merrit... sort of subtle tone of them not doing anything for it.

Who knows though...

Nintendo & Sony supporter:

Consoles: Wii & PS3.

When they say, White Engine is cross platform, I'm pretty sure they mean cross platform ps2/3. It was being built for the ps2 around the end of last gen, but they then customized it for the ps3 for games like FFXIII. The ps3 version is fully tailored around the Cell, and there is no version (yet) for any other systems.

If it was a true multiplatform engine, then they'd being using it instead of UE3.0 for games like the Last Remnant, as they then wouldn't have to pay licensing fees. Why not use your own engine if you already have it?

Needless to say, if a game is using the White Engine, chances are it's for the ps3, and it's probably ps3, ps2, or ps3/pc exclusive. 

Any MMO game that is not ported to the PC would (probably) fail ... Anyways, the White engine was confirmed to be a cross platform engine a long time ago, and the cross platform nature was probably ensured by this game.

Then this means that its a ps3 exclusive?

2008 end of year predictions:

PS3: 22M

360: 25M

wii: 40M

ClaudeLv250 said:

lmfao there will be a FFXIV. There will most definitely be a FFXV. Do not doubt that there will. Just you wait this MMO is FFXIV. There is no rule about releasing another game before all the spin-offs for a previous game has been released. Look at all the FFVII spin-offs we have and the rumored FFVIII spin-offs.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453