By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How to improve game immersion?

How to improve game immersion?

Better storylines 17 39.53%

More believable characters 7 16.28%

More realistic gameplay 8 18.60%

Better graphics 3 6.98%

Overhaul the pad slightly (e.g. Wii U) 5 11.63%

Overhaul the pad radicall... 3 6.98%

Total:43

How can game immersion be improved?

As the next-gen approaches, I'm wondering how the big 3 will improve game immersion. Of course the obvious one is to just improve graphics, but I think I'm not alone when I say that's getting pretty tired. Having played on power-house PC's with top-end graphics, graphics only get you so far. So how do you think immersion could be improved with the next generation of consoles?

Personally I'd like to see universal Oculus support as that takes us a gigantic step closer to VR, plus I feel the generic pad + TV set up is very, very dated; there's only so much you can get immersed with a very finite set of controls and user-feedback.

What would you guys like to see?

Around the Network

Improved graphics is getting tired? Not so sure about that.

I think more of the same improvement we've seen this generation. There was no way that games such as The Walking Dead, Journey, Skyrim, Prince of Persia (2008) and others that suck you into their universe, were possible in the Ps2/Xbox/Gamecube era. This generation alone think about how much we have improved. We've went from Kameo: Elements of Power, Resitance, Oblivion, and Call of Duty 2 to Skyrim, Black ops 2, Tomb Raider, Bioshock Infinite, ect. I'm not sure why you (and others) aren't seeing the improvement there. It's quite obvious.

As far as "immersion" goes, what defines that? I don't think a gimicky virtual add-on will make any better more "immersive" or better for that matter. How about you just enjoy the new games coming out in the near future? The Last of Us and Tomb Raider look to be very "immersive". 

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

I would like to see more intelligent A.I. before anything else. When you play games like Skyrim it becomes kind of dull after a while to see enemies simply walking straight towards you and then proceed to fight until they die. If they can actually have personality traits in the future (some are cowards, some are cocky, etc.) that would add to the immersion immensely.

If an enemy begs for mercy I want them to mean it. Not like in Skyrim where they go on to attack you afterwards no matter what.

ps3-sales! said:

Improved graphics is getting tired? Not so sure about that.

I think more of the same improvement we've seen this generation. There was no way that games such as The Walking Dead, Journey, Skyrim, Prince of Persia (2008) and others that suck you into their universe, were possible in the Ps2/Xbox/Gamecube era. This generation alone think about how much we have improved. We've went from Kameo: Elements of Power, Resitance, Oblivion, and Call of Duty 2 to Skyrim, Black ops 2, Tomb Raider, Bioshock Infinite, ect. I'm not sure why you (and others) aren't seeing the improvement there. It's quite obvious.

As far as "immersion" goes, what defines that? I don't think a gimicky virtual add-on will make any better more "immersive" or better for that matter. How about you just enjoy the new games coming out in the near future? The Last of Us and Tomb Raider look to be very "immersive". 

"Having played on power-house PC's with top-end graphics, graphics only get you so far. "

Play Metro 2033 on ultra.It's great, but still feels all too familiar. 

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
I would like to see more intelligent A.I. before anything else. When you play games like Skyrim it becomes kind of dull after a while to see enemies simply walking straight towards you and then proceed to fight until they die. If they can actually have personality traits in the future (some are cowards, some are cocky, etc.) that would add to the immersion immensely.

If an enemy begs for mercy I want them to mean it. Not like in Skyrim where they go on to attack you afterwards no matter what.

That'd be quite cool, although possibly could lead to more social consequences. 

Around the Network

One thing - stop achievements/messages/online friends from popping up while you are playing a game. The WiiU has a pretty good approach: Instead of an onscreen message the home button of your WiiU gamepad flashes for a short time.

story, and more control to make decisions without a set of words to choose from to move the story along.

the average gamer doesn't care, but the core/hardcore do, cause we expect more.

i voted for story, but realism is a must.

Have one of the developers come to your house, watch you play the game, and slap you if you aren't playing it right.

...waaait, that was my proposition for improving the review process.

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

better story lines AND more believable characters.

How about better everything? It's the only logical route to go.