By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Builtlean: Does a High Protein Diet help you lose weight?

Protein has a few advantages but it is not a magical answer ...

People generally feel "full" while eating fewer calories from lean protein, it takes longer to digest so people stay "full" longer, and the thermic effect of protein is generally higher (meaning it takes more calories to digest than other foods).

With that said, I think the problem most people have when it comes to losing weight is that they are far too ambitious and aren't realistic in what they want to accomplish. People can lose two pounds per week, can eat a (more or less) perfect diet, and can exercise for hours every day, but almost no-one can start doing all of these things at once. It is far more realistic for the average person to get a calorie counter app, aim for a 125 or 250 calorie deficit in a day, and plan to be in the gym for 30 minutes a day 2 or 3 days per week, then it is for them to aim for the perfect lifestyle everyone seems to try to start at the start of every year. After you get this "base" in place you can start improving one element of your nutrition or exercise a month until you reach your goals, and since this is far less of a shock to the system you're far more likely to stick with this plan.

Around the Network
Player1x3 said:
JayWood2010 said:
Player1x3 said:
This might seem off topic, but can anyone who had experience in P90X recommend a good diet for gaining muscle mass?

P90x is not that great for gaining muscle mass.  it is more geared for losing weight, you can gain weight but there is better ways of doing it.  Anyways if you are trying to gain muscle mass, just like losing weight 90% of it is done in the kitchen.  You need to consume more calories than you burn and of course workout.  A high Protein diet is the best for this but the most important thing is to eat an excess amount of calories. The main reason for a high protein diet while gaining muscle is because protein is the building blocks for muscles.  When you work out you are tearing your muscle and protein is needed to make torn muscle fibers grow. You will gain fat while gaining muscle but that is ok.  There are two routines that you will be following.  the first would be to bulk and then lose your body fat once you are finished bulking. 

So do you have any suggestion what kind of nutrution plan should i follow within P90x, since i already have a low body fat?

If you are trying to build body mass then you will need to eat a lot.  That depends on how much you weigh though.  How much do you weigh?  Ill put some foods up that is good for building mass as well.

EDIT: Also your height

green_sky said:
JayWood2010 said:

If you are an ectomorph you need to train to your body type as well as eat to your body type. If you don't know the difference in body types then you may need to do some additional research.  Working out has a lot to do with knoolwdge just like nutrition and the actual workouts. There is more to it than just pushing weights.

3 body types

Ectomporph
Mesomorph
Endomorph

Haha thanks Jay. I think i am between Meso and Endo. My arms are not as skinny as my avatar. It is fun to joke around though. They are smaller than Argh though. Just measured and they are 35 cms. Gonna gain some when i shovel the snow later. Doesn't Kale taste horrible. Do you make its juice. 

Here is that link I told you i would send you.  Sorry it took a while.  http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=154908