By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Apple took home 72% of all handset profits last quarter

FORTUNE — Can you spot the problem with the pie chart at right? If you noticed that the two slices add up to more than 100%, you’re on the right track. Last quarter, Apple (AAPL) and Samsung so dominated the worldwide market for mobile phones (smart and dumb) that the rest of the manufacturers — including Nokia (NOK), Motorola (GOOG), BlackBerry (BBRY), Sony (SNE), LG and HTC — either broke even or lost money. That’s just one of the notable findings in a report issued Tuesday by Canaccord Genuity’s T. Michael Walkley. A few other highlights: Apple took home 72% of the profits with only 21.7% of unit sales (up from 15.4% in Q3). Samsung’s 29% of the profits came from 28.9% of unit sales (down from 32.3% in Q3). 43 cents of every dollar spent in the world on a cellphone in Q4 ended up in Apple’s coffers. Samsung got 36 cents. Nokia got 7 cents. All the rest got less than 5. For 2013, Walkley predicts that Apple and Samsung will split 103% of the profits, 69/34. Source: http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2013/02/06/apple-samsung-profit-share/

Around the Network

For some reason all the tools aren't showing so I can't format any of the text...

lol...did you see my thread and decided to take the apple profits and make it a separate thread? Or is this a big coincidence? :)

disolitude said:
lol...did you see my thread and decided to take the apple profits and make it a separate thread? Or is this a big coincidence? :)

Ohhhh, it was just a coincidence. A mod can lock this...

Locking by request.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.