By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - 3D Blu-Rays of 2013 Movies, share your thoughts "OFFICIAL 3D Movies in 2K13 THREAD" (List of 3D Movies of 2013 in OP)

Poll closed.

Closed. 23 76.67%

Total:23

If you've seen The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug 3D (The Hobbit 2 3D), then please post.

Thanks, and HAPPY YEAR OF 3D !!!

Around the Network

I appreciated the 3D effect combined with 48 fps in the Hobbit 1 on blu-ray. When I went to see the second in theaters last week or so, it was only 24 fps though... my local theater doesn't have all that fancy equipment, only 3D. So I got quickly tired while watching, luckily the film kept me awake with no problems ;)

So 48 fps + 3D is a really good combination, especially when you have to watch for three hours. Much less stressful on the eyes, and more comfortable.

Yep.

kekrot said:
I appreciated the 3D effect combined with 48 fps in the Hobbit 1 on blu-ray. When I went to see the second in theaters last week or so, it was only 24 fps though... my local theater doesn't have all that fancy equipment, only 3D. So I got quickly tired while watching, luckily the film kept me awake with no problems ;)

So 48 fps + 3D is a really good combination, especially when you have to watch for three hours. Much less stressful on the eyes, and more comfortable.

What? 48 fps on bluray?

walsufnir said:
kekrot said:

What? 48 fps on bluray?

Oh sorry, turns out I was wrong... I googled it now and couldn't find anything about a 48 fps blu-ray. My friend has a modern TV with that ugly soap opera effect, which I guess didn't look as ugly in 3D :P

I guess it was only the TV effect, even if I really thought the hobbit movies were 48 on BD. Since they are filmed in 48 fps I didn't have a huge problem with the soap opera effect... but otherwise I turn it off.

I think some scenes slowed down a little, and that too is proof of the effect being the work of the tv. :(

Yep.

kekrot said:
walsufnir said:
kekrot said:

What? 48 fps on bluray?

Oh sorry, turns out I was wrong... I googled it now and couldn't find anything about a 48 fps blu-ray. My friend has a modern TV with that ugly soap opera effect, which I guess didn't look as ugly in 3D :P

I guess it was only the TV effect, even if I really thought the hobbit movies were 48 on BD. Since they are filmed in 48 fps I didn't have a huge problem with the soap opera effect... but otherwise I turn it off.

I think some scenes slowed down a little, and that too is proof of the effect being the work of the tv. :(

Well 3D Blu-Rays have a disc speed of 22.5 MB a second, and HDMI 1.4 is definitely capable of doing 2 different 1080p 60 fps images at once. So they should eventually release High-Frame Rate 3D Blu-Rays of 3D Movies as far back as the 1930's eventually. (there's a lot from the 1950's in 60 fps per image)

Anyways the Hobbit 2 3D seem like 3 of its action scenes would have been better in 60 fps per image instead of its 48 fps. Oh welp.

Around the Network
Kaizar said:
kekrot said:
walsufnir said:
kekrot said:

What? 48 fps on bluray?

Well 3D Blu-Rays have a disc speed of 22.5 MB a second, and HDMI 1.4 is definitely capable of doing 2 different 1080p 60 fps images at once. So they should eventually release High-Frame Rate 3D Blu-Rays of 3D Movies as far back as the 1930's eventually. (there's a lot from the 1950's in 60 fps per image)

Anyways the Hobbit 2 3D seem like 3 of its action scenes would have been better in 60 fps per image instead of its 48 fps. Oh welp.

Heh fps per image? That's like saying image per second per image :P Or maybe you mean per eye.

JK, but how much bitrate could 3D movies in 60 fps possibly hold? I think 48 fps is the perfect thing for theatre features like Hobbit, because when theaters with only-24fps equipment shows the film, every other image is removed from the film, opposed to downscaling from 60 fps to 24. That wouldn't work too well.

Yep.

kekrot said:
Kaizar said:
kekrot said:
walsufnir said:
kekrot said:

What? 48 fps on bluray?

Heh fps per image? That's like saying image per second per image :P Or maybe you mean per eye.

JK, but how much bitrate could 3D movies in 60 fps possibly hold? I think 48 fps is the perfect thing for theatre features like Hobbit, because when theaters with only-24fps equipment shows the film, every other image is removed from the film, opposed to downscaling from 60 fps to 24. That wouldn't work too well.

For Live-Action movies, I only want the action scenes in high-frame-rate, but the other scenes at 24 fps. I don't like the soap opera effect unless it's animated like "The Longest Daycare 3D".

And I have heard people having problems with viewing 2D at 48 fps, saying it made them disoriented. (LOL but true)

Anyways, 120 refresh rate is the standard for 3D since the 1930's, while 24 refresh rate is the standard for 2D since the 1930's.

Avatar 2 & 3 will be in 120 refresh rate (60 fps per image).

Downscaling from 60 to 24 fps should look the same as a 24 fps recorded footage' but I could be wrong.

If you've seen "Walking with Dinosaurs 3D, then please post.

If you've seen "Dhoom 3D", then please post.

If you've seen "Justin Bieber's Believe 3D", then please post.