By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U GPU Die Image! Chipworks is AWESOME!

_crazy_man_ said:
monkeyade said:

I'm sure I can piss further than all of you!

*pulls down pants*

I ACCEPT YOUR CHALLENGE!

I'll take that challenge, I have to admit I've had a few beers so there is some pressure building

Around the Network
DieAppleDie said:

and the conclusion of the comparison is....

Okay I'd like to revise my statement.  Final numbers:

Wii U GPU - 1 billion transistors

Wii U EDRAM - 256 million transistors

WII U GPU logic - 744 million transistors

Thus Wii U does in fact, have a next-gen GPU!  1 billion transistors is 3 times more then Xbox 360 and PS3.  Here's the problem though - it only has 12 GB/s of memory bandwidth.  The CPU and memory system are not high-speed.  Thus it relies on local cache bandwidth to achieve high speeds.  It probably also has the Wii's GPU on its GPU die - thus adding another 50-100 million transistors.  It also has some onboard SRAM - very little.  Probably 3 MB - to cover the Wii U's frame and z-buffers. 

Thus - it's an incredibly weak design - very slow RAM.  Nevertheless - it does have a next-gen GPU.  Therefore - it can render at 1080p.  Xbox 3 and Playstation 4 will probably have looked significantly better even without any special improvements on the design. 

monkeyade said:
_crazy_man_ said:
monkeyade said:

I'm sure I can piss further than all of you!

*pulls down pants*

I ACCEPT YOUR CHALLENGE!

I'll take that challenge, I have to admit I've had a few beers so there is some pressure building

That's like takin perfromance enhancers before a race bro!

(Not the beer part, but the extra liquid)

NNID: crazy_man

3DS FC: 3969 4633 0700 

My Pokemon Trading Shop (Hidden Power Breeding)

Wasn't the pswank meant to do 1080p x 2, am I the only one still waiting for this to happen...

monkeyade said:

Wasn't the pswank meant to do 1080p x 2, am I the only one still waiting for this to happen...

I think you mean the 240 fps BS that Patcher was saying, unless you talking 4k.

Around the Network
_crazy_man_ said:
monkeyade said:

Nope a long time ago but I do recall Sony claiming the ps3 would be able to do 1080p on two screens and that never happened...

monkeyade said:
_crazy_man_ said:
monkeyade said:

Nope a long time ago but I do recall Sony claiming the ps3 would be able to do 1080p on two screens and that never happened...

O you talking PS3.

Yeah they did the same with the PS2 with saying it would have "Toy Story" level graphics.

_crazy_man_ said:
monkeyade said:
_crazy_man_ said:
monkeyade said:

O you talking PS3.

Yeah they did the same with the PS2 with saying it would have "Toy Story" level graphics.

So I guess we can take whatever they say on the 20th with a pinch of salt. Although Patcher could be spot on about there claims.

4k @ 240 fps sounds about right

monkeyade said:
_crazy_man_ said:
monkeyade said:
_crazy_man_ said:
monkeyade said:

O you talking PS3.

So I guess we can take whatever they say on the 20th with a pinch of salt. Although Patcher could be spot on about there claims.

4k @ 240 fps sounds about right.

Do 4k TV's even go above 60hz?

_crazy_man_ said:
monkeyade said:
_crazy_man_ said:
monkeyade said:
_crazy_man_ said:
monkeyade said:

O you talking PS3.

4k @ 240 fps sounds about right.

Do 4k TV's even go above 60hz?

In Sony and Patcher reality they do!