By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U GPU Die Image! Chipworks is AWESOME!

ninjablade said:
Wyrdness said:
ninjablade said:
Wyrdness said:
How can they tell the power when the GPU is a ground up component not based on any GPU by what Morrison is saying, they don't know the tech but some how can determine full performance? Sounds like you're very gullible.

mabye you try reading from page 173 to 179 or here is a quote from the mod Shifty Geezer

On a par. Any performance advantages Wii U may have are offset by limitations (being small and low power draw), such that any increase in overall performance (nigh impossible to measure) above current gen will be fractional rather than a multiple.
Informed speculation based on a number of data as Function has outlined (including dev comments). It is nigh impossible for Nintendo to have produced a smaller, lower-power draw device that improves (at all, let alone significantly) on overall performance, especially when we know the memory is so damned slow. Only if they have secretly used a much smaller node is that possible.

I don't see how anyone can question the evidence. That's illogical

Except the is no evidence we know that the GPU is a new gpu chip using AMD tech in it no one in the PC scene has even seen it so to tell people that it can do this when they don't even know what the tech is is quite frankly beyond amusing and those sucking it up are gullible as even the person themselves has made assumptions and speculations which flat out says he's guessing. They don't even know what GPU it is and have been speculating for months whether it's a HD this or that now it's come to light that it's a new chip specifically built for the U that no one has ever seen, that alone sets alarm bells off on the speculations.

i already know what gpu, its 99% not a new gpu that no has ever seen before, you know how much a thing like that would cost and for what, exactly, what reason would amake a new chip from the ground up, your kiddfing me right, you question DF and beyond 3d anylasis of a misimprintation of what jum said, anyway i'm done with thread anybody wanna message me, pm me.

My speculation is that once the sales numbers are up and the part becomes cheaper to produce, it will yield higher profits due to the nature of the design, so yearly return will be higher compared to companies that need to utilize more parts from different plants to assemble their consoles with and would be more flexible on the pricing in the long run.

Around the Network
ninjablade said:

i already know what gpu, its 99% not a new gpu that no has ever seen before, you know how much a thing like that would cost and for what, exactly, what reason would nintendo make a new chip from the ground up, your kiddfing me right, you question DF and beyond 3d anylasis of a misimprintation of what jim said, anyway i'm done with thread anybody wanna message me, pm me.

Then what GPU is it then? It's not a misinterpretation as far as I've seen because it's like someone says it comes across as a new chip of Nintendo's design using AMD's tech and the fact no one can figure anything out from the image backs this up, Nintendo use their own disc formats so using their own design that suits their development style is not off. As for your usual I'm done non sense we've all seen that before I remember you clamouring back to the other thread several times.

ninjablade said:
Wyrdness said:

You are on a crusade Ninja you're on the Nintendo boards frequently and post the same stance everytime.

i like talking about tech, is that a problem, if i was spreading lies then fine, but i'm not.

You still need to change the first line of your sig. The Wii U is more powerful than the 360, so you are in fact spreading lies.

More than three times more eDRAM on the GPU, and said eDRAM is on-die rather than being on a daughter-die like the Xenos. Three times more CPU cache, 4 times more RAM and a GPU pushing more Flops and a more modern feature set, with RAM with very low latency.

Its Hella FUNNY that digital foundary jus assumed the Wii U GPU is based off the 4650 cause its a "very close match" : "The Wii U GPU core features 320 stream processors married up with 16 texture mapping units and featuring 8 ROPs.".
Eeven though the 5550 is a better and almost EXACT match to the Wii U GPU features : http://www.amd.com/US/PRODUCTS/DESKTOP/GRAPHICS/ATI-RADEON-HD-5000/HD-5550/Pages/hd-5550-overview.aspx#2

So they justed guessed the inferior GPU, even though the features of the 5550 fit better AND that its has been rumored from the beginning that the Wii U features a CUSTOM Evergreen Radeon GPU , Which would be a 5000 series like the 5550

snowdog said:
ninjablade said:
Wyrdness said:

You are on a crusade Ninja you're on the Nintendo boards frequently and post the same stance everytime.

i like talking about tech, is that a problem, if i was spreading lies then fine, but i'm not.

You still need to change the first line of your sig. The Wii U is more powerful than the 360, so you are in fact spreading lies.

More than three times more eDRAM on the GPU, and said eDRAM is on-die rather than being on a daughter-die like the Xenos. Three times more CPU cache, 4 times more RAM and a GPU pushing more Flops and a more modern feature set, with RAM with very low latency.

I  said i was done this thread, but you calling  vigil, tecmo and beyond3d liers is pathetic, why don't you go post on there and make a convincing argument. you been spreading lies here with your inflated specs calm down on the hyperbole.

Around the Network

See what did I say.

From ninjablades link:

Quote:

shinobi: so with 352 gflops, bandwidth and cpu bottle necks, is it weaker or stronger then current gen, your opinion would be welcomed.

Li Mu Bai: Stronger than current gen, these bottlenecks are grossly exaggerated. As in any system, engines must be tailored to exploit platform strengths while minimizing weaknesses. As I've said before, the CPU is indeed weaker than the 360's, but this is a heavily GPU reliant system. Also slower ram is unusable now? A truly functional tessellation unit, better texure IQ, 50%+ more dedicated system ram, advanced realtime lighting & shadowing capabilities, taken as a whole this bests the current generation. Albeit not by any vast margin. In these discussions I find we always discount the tablet's capabilities, rendering a totally unique game scene completely independent of the screen. Replete with shading & geometry.

cannonballZ said:

From ninjablades link:

Quote:

shinobi: so with 352 gflops, bandwidth and cpu bottle necks, is it weaker or stronger then current gen, your opinion would be welcomed.

Stronger than current gen, these bottlenecks are grossly exaggerated. As in any system, engines must be tailored to exploit platform strengths while minimizing weaknesses. As I've said before, the CPU is indeed weaker than the 360's, but this is a heavily GPU reliant system. Also slower ram is unusable now? A truly functional tessellation unit, better texure IQ, 50%+ more dedicated system ram, advanced realtime lighting & shadowing capabilities, taken as a whole this bests the current generation. Albeit not by any vast margin. In these discussions I find we always discount the tablet's capabilities, rendering a totally unique game scene completely independent of the screen. Replete with shading & geometry.

exactly, you need some kind of power to run 360 level grafix TWO times

dahuman said:

What the bolded tells me is that they licensed AMD's technology and designed their own chip to include those functions in the chip, so it's not an AMD chip design but a product with AMD technology inside.

You think Nintendo has experts for GPU design ? Nah, I think the scenario that Nintendo told AMD what they wanted on the chip and AMD designed it that way for them, sounds more probable.

Lafiel said:

dahuman said:

What the bolded tells me is that they licensed AMD's technology and designed their own chip to include those functions in the chip, so it's not an AMD chip design but a product with AMD technology inside.

You think Nintendo has experts for GPU design ? Nah, I think the scenario that Nintendo told AMD what they wanted on the chip and AMD designed it that way for them, sounds more probable.

it might not even be amd, could be another contractor altogether, nintendo is way too tight lipped :(