By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U GPU Die Image! Chipworks is AWESOME!

Mr Khan said:
ethomaz said:

The final diagram with each component part plus the Marcan's comments... form GAF.

J = TMUs
N = Shaders

So what are O, P, R, S1, and S2?

PMU's (Pikmin Magic Units).

Around the Network

Mr Khan said:

So what are O, P, R, S1, and S2?

Nothing yet... but there are some guesses.

More realiable

X: Display controller and UVD
Y: Audio DSP
V: Unknown but every Radeon have this part

In discussion

D: ARM core?
U1, U2, W1, W2: maybe fixed functions?

Marcan said too the he thinks the Wii GPU in into this chip too.

Putting % improvement numbers for the WiiU is silly. Putting % improvement numbers for systems that haven't been revealed yet is crazy. WiiU is more powerful than PS360. It will be less powerful than PS720. Placing systems on an exact scale is impossible, and even estimates are tricky. Nice round numbers like 150%, 300% and 500% are a joke, but make fans of a given system feel good.

Here's a question - what part of the system handles the Gamepad's screen?

I ask for two reasons - one, I'd think there'd at least be some part of the GPU designed specifically for the graphics of the Gamepad, due to issues like latency. Two, the Gamepad has a resolution matching that of the Wii... could it actually be using the same parts of the chip that handle the Wii Mode of the Wii U?

Anyway, just a thought.

HoloDust said:
ethomaz said:

Digital Foundry article...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-wii-u-graphics-power-finally-revealed

320:16:8 - Similar to HD 4650/4670.

I love how they call it similar to 4650, a 320:32:8 card built on 55nm...instead of comparing it to 5550, which has 320:16:8 GPU built on 40nm, just like WiiU is believed (at the moment) to have, and at exact same clock (550MHz).

Well it is Digital Foundry/Eurogamer.net which is well known to have mostly antagonistic view of Nintendo systems and games.  After seeing all the data, the Wii U is so customized that no one can say for sure how powerful the GPU and CPU really would be.  It's just typical Nintendo, and I am just gonna let the next set of games speak for themselves regarding this.

Around the Network

The guys expecting some magical performance in the unknown area will take a cold shower.

Jim Morrison from Chipworks (the amazing peeps that gave us the GPU die image and will soon be posting the CPU as well) has stated some details.

1. This GPU is custom.
2. If it was based on ATI/AMD or a Radeon-like design, the chip would carry die marks to reflect that. Everybody has to recognize the licensing. It has none. Only Renesas name which is a former unit of NEC.
3. This chip is fabricated in a 40 nm advanced CMOS process at TSMC and is not low tech
4. For reference sake, the Apple A6 is fabricated in a 32 nm CMOS process and is also designed from scratch. It’s manufacturing costs, in volumes of 100k or more, about $26 - $30 a pop. Over 16 months degrade to about $15 each
a. Wii U only represents like 30M units per annum vs iPhone which is more like 100M units per annum. Put things in perspective.
5. This Wii U GPU costs more than that by about $20-$40 bucks each making it a very expensive piece of kit. Combine that with the IBM CPU and the Flash chip all on the same package and this whole thing is closer to $100 a piece when you add it all up
6. The Wii U main processor package is a very impressive piece of hardware when its said and done.

Trust me on this. It may not have water cooling and heat sinks the size of a brownie, but its one slick piece of silicon. eDRAM is not cheap to make. That is why not everybody does it. Cause its so dam expensive

NNID: crazy_man

3DS FC: 3969 4633 0700 

My Pokemon Trading Shop (Hidden Power Breeding)

_crazy_man_ said:

Jim Morrison from Chipworks (the amazing peeps that gave us the GPU die image and will soon be posting the CPU as well) has stated some details.

1. This GPU is custom.
2. If it was based on ATI/AMD or a Radeon-like design, the chip would carry die marks to reflect that. Everybody has to recognize the licensing. It has none. Only Renesas name which is a former unit of NEC.
3. This chip is fabricated in a 40 nm advanced CMOS process at TSMC and is not low tech
4. For reference sake, the Apple A6 is fabricated in a 32 nm CMOS process and is also designed from scratch. It’s manufacturing costs, in volumes of 100k or more, about $26 - $30 a pop. Over 16 months degrade to about $15 each
a. Wii U only represents like 30M units per annum vs iPhone which is more like 100M units per annum. Put things in perspective.
5. This Wii U GPU costs more than that by about $20-$40 bucks each making it a very expensive piece of kit. Combine that with the IBM CPU and the Flash chip all on the same package and this whole thing is closer to $100 a piece when you add it all up
6. The Wii U main processor package is a very impressive piece of hardware when its said and done.

Trust me on this. It may not have water cooling and heat sinks the size of a brownie, but its one slick piece of silicon. eDRAM is not cheap to make. That is why not everybody does it. Cause its so dam expensive

I remember when I said no GPU chip will cost more than $70 even the expensive one in 28nm... now the guys here have a reference for how much a chip costs... and that chip is a 40nm with 32MB eDRAM (expensive)... a chip in 28nm will cost less than that.

Yea, Wii U is a turd. Just like Wii. No-one should buy this crappy console and nintendo should be out of business for their stupidity. :D

This post has been moderated by axumblade and smeags <3.

_crazy_man_ said:

1. This GPU is custom.

So in other words it's not a custom GPU of some sort it's a brand new ground up one? That would explain why no one has ever seen a design like it.