Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U GPU Die Image! Chipworks is AWESOME!

runqvist said:
As I am not allowed to express my opinion about these specs, I'll just ask:

Is this good or bad?

The GPU is more powerful than last gen, the gauge of how much is still being determined.

It's super customized like the Gamecube, and looks to super effienct.  So despite certian specs its real world performace will be better than other standardized hardware trying to push power with the same specs.  Pretty much like the GC vs. Xbox situation.

But unless Nintendo shows the in's and out's of this GPU to third parties we could have similar PS3's CELL situation here.  Though some developers have said that its easy to port, this may be from older dev kits that lacked this customization or that its easy to port but hard to port well (though this might be the weaker CPU handling CPU intenstive games).

NNID: crazy_man

3DS FC: 3969 4633 0700 

My Pokemon Trading Shop (Hidden Power Breeding)

Around the Network
runqvist said:
As I am not allowed to express my opinion about these specs, I'll just ask:

Is this good or bad?

Compared to PS360: good.
Compared to PS4/720: bad.

The GPU ifself is just 50% better than the Xenos/RSX... it's expected better GPUs in Durango (300% better) and Orbis (500% better).

Of course... that's just GPU specs... no "special sauce" or fixed units that help the overall performance of the system.

The final diagram with each component part plus the Marcan's comments... form GAF.

J = TMUs
N = Shaders

ethomaz said:

The final diagram with each component part plus the Marcan's comments... form GAF.

J = TMUs
N = Shaders

So what are O, P, R, S1, and S2?

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:
ethomaz said:

J = TMUs
N = Shaders

PMU's (Pikmin Magic Units).

Around the Network

Mr Khan said:

Nothing yet... but there are some guesses.

More realiable

X: Display controller and UVD
Y: Audio DSP
V: Unknown but every Radeon have this part

In discussion

D: ARM core?
U1, U2, W1, W2: maybe fixed functions?

Marcan said too the he thinks the Wii GPU in into this chip too.

Putting % improvement numbers for the WiiU is silly. Putting % improvement numbers for systems that haven't been revealed yet is crazy. WiiU is more powerful than PS360. It will be less powerful than PS720. Placing systems on an exact scale is impossible, and even estimates are tricky. Nice round numbers like 150%, 300% and 500% are a joke, but make fans of a given system feel good.

Here's a question - what part of the system handles the Gamepad's screen?

I ask for two reasons - one, I'd think there'd at least be some part of the GPU designed specifically for the graphics of the Gamepad, due to issues like latency. Two, the Gamepad has a resolution matching that of the Wii... could it actually be using the same parts of the chip that handle the Wii Mode of the Wii U?

Anyway, just a thought.

HoloDust said:
ethomaz said:

Digital Foundry article...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-wii-u-graphics-power-finally-revealed

320:16:8 - Similar to HD 4650/4670.

I love how they call it similar to 4650, a 320:32:8 card built on 55nm...instead of comparing it to 5550, which has 320:16:8 GPU built on 40nm, just like WiiU is believed (at the moment) to have, and at exact same clock (550MHz).

Well it is Digital Foundry/Eurogamer.net which is well known to have mostly antagonistic view of Nintendo systems and games.  After seeing all the data, the Wii U is so customized that no one can say for sure how powerful the GPU and CPU really would be.  It's just typical Nintendo, and I am just gonna let the next set of games speak for themselves regarding this.

The guys expecting some magical performance in the unknown area will take a cold shower.