By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global UP! 26th January 2013

CGI-Quality said:
sales2099 said:
The 30k gap keeps up then 360 will have no problem holding 2nd til November.

Which is irrelevant for a two reasons:

A. The gap won't remain that low (God of War: Ascension and The Last Of Us weeks should see spikes)

B. Even if the PS3 doesn't pass the 360 till next year, it's pretty much a certainty, regardless. 

OT: I'm pretty happy for Ni No Kuni, though I'm not surprised. I know a lot of people that bought it and the buzz surrounding it has been pretty strong.

It is a certainty, but 360 fans such as myself see holding out for the "relevant" parts of the gen and not the aftermath sales important.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network

Sales are so bad for everything. Begging for new consoles at this point I guess. This year could prove abysmal from a sales perspective until new consoles.

Amazing 360 comeback in japan.
Who'd believed one year ago that 360 sales in japan would be more than 4 times higher than DS?!

Wii U still strong in japan thx to monster hunter -even stronger than vita.

PS3 is really having some great golden years. Nintendo should watch and learn how to support a console late in it's life. It pays off if you do it right.

And no matter what people might think, the Wii U launched too expensive here in europe, and it needs a price cut. They also need to start advertising it, because most people don't know about it still, or think it's a Wii add-on ...

Sal.Paradise said:
JGarret said:
Yakuzaice said:

It seems the Nintendo Direct did little to increase sales as some hoped.  Granted we pretty much knew that from the Japanese charts, but this further confirms it.  It also doesn't seem to have seen an increase in Europe for the next week based on the charts released so far.

The Wii U has now gone three weeks selling less than the Vita in an aligned comparison.

Wii U
US week 10: 10,036
EU week 9: 7,009
JP week 8: 12,976
Total: 30,021

Vita
US week 10: 14,254
EU week 9: 20,420
JP week 8: 17,031
Total: 51,705

The gap is actually slightly bigger this week than last week.

Surreal.

I never expected the Wii U to perform as well as the Wii, but not bad like that, man, not like that...and can you imagine if NSMBU wasn´t available?

I don't think anybody on the chartz predicted this, or at least I didn't see anyone predict it. You'd probably be labelled a hater if you did!

hater?  lol, you'd have been banned for trolling nintendo. 

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
sales2099 said:
CGI-Quality said:
sales2099 said:

A. The gap won't remain that low (God of War: Ascension and The Last Of Us weeks should see spikes)

B. Even if the PS3 doesn't pass the 360 till next year, it's pretty much a certainty, regardless. 

OT: I'm pretty happy for Ni No Kuni, though I'm not surprised. I know a lot of people that bought it and the buzz surrounding it has been pretty strong.

It is a certainty, but 360 fans such as myself see holding out for the "relevant" parts of the gen and not the aftermath sales important.

It's always relevant. That's like saying PS2's sales after November 11, 2006 were irrelevant. Unlike personal feelings, business doesn't work like that. 

They were irrelevant as Gamecube and Xbox were done. But more importantly the gamers focused on the newer machines as only casuals got the PS2 from that point onward.

You can disagree, but as this has been said numerous times, winning while the 3 consoles are "in the spotlight" is important. To pass afterwards just means you weren't good enough to pass it within the window of the devices being most current.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

ethomaz said:
bananaking21 said:
isnt Q1 supposed to be a good quarter for sales?

Q1? No.

If we look at 2012 sales.

Q1: 12.264 million
Q2: 7.728 million
Q3: 7.724 million

It is obviously smaller than Q4, but quite a bit larger than Q2 and 3.

CGI-Quality said:
sales2099 said:
CGI-Quality said:

It's always relevant. That's like saying PS2's sales after November 11, 2006 were irrelevant. Unlike personal feelings, business doesn't work like that. 

They were irrelevant as Gamecube and Xbox were done. But more importantly the gamers focused on the newer machines as only casuals got the PS2 from that point onward.

You can disagree, but as this has been said numerous times, winning while the 3 consoles are "in the spotlight" is important.

I'm being realistic. You are talking out of personal feelings. Key difference. 

No matter how many times you type the word "irrelevant", when the PS3 passes the 360, it will be anything but that. Besides, the fact that you perpetuate the argument for comfort provides one of the best examples.

Ive been saying this argument since 2009. It aint a sudden response to sales trends. Nintendo/MS fans won't care. Only internet Sony fans will care, and thats a vast minority of real world PS3 gamers. Soooo in a "irrelevant" (:P) sense, yes it does matter.To me, if you can't pass within the window of being the most current console, then your celebrating lowering the bar.

JGarret said:
Sal.Paradise said:
JGarret said:
Yakuzaice said:

It seems the Nintendo Direct did little to increase sales as some hoped.  Granted we pretty much knew that from the Japanese charts, but this further confirms it.  It also doesn't seem to have seen an increase in Europe for the next week based on the charts released so far.

The Wii U has now gone three weeks selling less than the Vita in an aligned comparison.

Wii U
US week 10: 10,036
EU week 9: 7,009
JP week 8: 12,976
Total: 30,021

Vita
US week 10: 14,254
EU week 9: 20,420
JP week 8: 17,031
Total: 51,705

The gap is actually slightly bigger this week than last week.

Surreal.

I never expected the Wii U to perform as well as the Wii, but not bad like that, man, not like that...and can you imagine if NSMBU wasn´t available?

I don't think anybody on the chartz predicted this, or at least I didn't see anyone predict it. You'd probably be labelled a hater if you did!

True.

That´s one of the reasons a new generation is exciting..it´s a completely new game, being the 'winner' in a previous generation means very little or nothing if you don´t play your cards right.

Well, I did predict WiiU would only do 30m lifetime and be replaced by 2016 prior to launch. 

However, looking at these post-holiday numbers makes me wonder if I wasn't too generous in that prediction.  Not even the Nintendo-core are buying WiiU.  Not yet anyway.   Desperately needs games.

sales2099 said:
CGI-Quality said:
sales2099 said:
CGI-Quality said:
sales2099 said:

You can disagree, but as this has been said numerous times, winning while the 3 consoles are "in the spotlight" is important. To pass afterwards just means you weren't good enough to pass it within the window of the devices being most current.

or it means your console has more lasting value.  That's like saying Avengers was more successful than Avatar because it had a bigger opening week.  That was its time in the spotlight but Avatar ended up selling more.  In the future people will remember the final sales just like they remember that PS2 sold 160 million, not the 100 million it sold when the other systems finished in its gen.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers