By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - 1939: the best year in movies

@Kain, that's fine, I was actually curious.

Around the Network
chris_wing said:

@Kain, that's fine, I was actually curious.

If you haven't seen High Anxiety in a while you should watch it again. It's one of Mel Brooks best. It's not as quotable as Men in Tights, Blazing Saddles, or Space Balls, but it's a masterwork of parody.

Looking at my personal collection I'd say, but only because 2 of these are in my all time top 5 and 1 in my top 15.

2008:
The Dark Knight
Frost/Nixon
Gran Torino

NO 1994 was the best year in pictures...

That whole period was just great for movies, Casablanca, The great dictator and some others. The war certainly didn't stop some good movies from being produced.

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Around the Network

Maybe not the greatest, but I thought I'd throw it up here since no one has mentioned it so far.
1954:
Seven Samurai
On the Waterfront
Rear Window
La strada
A star is born
20,000 leagues under the sea
the caine mutiny
Sabrina
Godzilla
dial m for murder
Seven Brides for seven brothers
Johnny Guitar
Them!

I was walking down along the street and I heard this voice saying, "Good evening, Mr. Dowd." Well, I turned around and here was this big six-foot rabbit leaning up against a lamp-post. Well, I thought nothing of that because when you've lived in a town as long as I've lived in this one, you get used to the fact that everybody knows your name.

Sure, and the best video game year was 1978....

Game of the year 2017 so far:

5. Resident Evil VII
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
1. Super Mario Odyssey

HesAPooka said:
Maybe not the greatest, but I thought I'd throw it up here since no one has mentioned it so far.
1954:
Seven Samurai
On the Waterfront
Rear Window

La strada
A star is born
the caine mutiny
Sabrina
Godzilla
dial m for murder
Johnny Guitar
Them!

Great choice. The first three alone make it one of the best.

HesAPooka said:
1954:
Seven Samurai
On the Waterfront
Rear Window
La strada
A star is born
the caine mutiny
Sabrina
Godzilla
dial m for murder
Johnny Guitar
Them!

Oh that is a good year. But 1977 and Star Wars is just too epic. Seven Samurai is almost good enough to beat Star Wars, but lightsabers are just a bit cooler than swords. ;)

Veknoid_Outcast said:

spurgeonryan, patron saint of forum posters, suggested I make a thread about this.

I mentioned in a post in his top 50 movies thread that 1939 was the best year in the 118-year history of movies.

My justification is that several outstanding and influential movies debuted in 1939, in America and beyond. They are: Gone with the Wind, The Wizard of Oz, Wuthering Heights, The Rules of the Game, Stagecoach, and Mr. Smith Goes to Washington.

There are other famous movies from 1939 -- like Dark Victory, Ninotchka, and Goodbye, Mr Chips -- but I haven't had the opportunity to watch them yet. Even without them, though, the 1939 line-up is amazing. There are six movies I would include in my top 100 list, and one -- The Rules of the Game -- that could easily be considered the greatest movie ever made.

What do YOU think?

I've just seen wizard of oz and mr. smith goes to washington. wizard of oz was good,but I remember mr. smith goes to washington being very boring.