By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo's unrealistic pricing for old-school platformers et al.

Tagged games:

RolStoppable said:

This means, hypothetically speaking, that NSMBU should have sold at the same pace as NSMBW if there was no fatigue and disinterest of the greater market. Would you agree with this?

It would have to compat the high price entry of the U, as well as the steep price of NSMBU as compared to NSMBW, but it would have more power in and of itself yes. However, I doubt that it would have the same pace as NSMBW. That's why I take the curves with a grain of salt, as I understand there may be more than one thing happening at a time.

Remember back when NSMB released for the DS, it was a big novelty, and the same was true for NSMBW.

TruckOSaurus said:

A good chunk of the people who bought only Angry Birds aren't interested in full fledge video games and never will so they're not part of Nintendo's potential market.

Did you ask them?

Around the Network
happydolphin said:
TruckOSaurus said:

A good chunk of the people who bought only Angry Birds aren't interested in full fledge video games and never will so they're not part of Nintendo's potential market.

Did you ask them?

Yes.

Signature goes here!

happydolphin said:

It would have to compat the high price entry of the U, as well as the steep price of NSMBU as compared to NSMBW, but it would have more power in and of itself yes. However, I doubt that it would have the same pace as NSMBW. That's why I take the curves with a grain of salt, as I understand there may be more than one thing happening at a time.

Remember back when NSMB released for the DS, it was a big novelty, and the same was true for NSMBW.

What would you say is the single biggest and most obvious reason why NSMBU didn't match the sales pace of NSMBW?

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

RolStoppable said:
happydolphin said:

Yeah, it came first, and it came at the peak of the Wii's casual craze.
The two advantages are of the past.

This means the reasons why NSMBU isn't performing better are what exactly?

1: There are not 60 million Wii U owners ready to buy a new fun multiplayer game at this point in time.

2: The game isn't advertised on tv and in stores NEARLY as much as NSMBW was.

3: The wow-factor of being the first 2D Mario console game in 13 years just isn't there.

TruckOSaurus said:
happydolphin said:

Did you ask them?

Yes.

Orly? And they specifically told you that they weren't interested in NSMB?

I just asked 3 colleagues of mine, two of them are mums, and one mum said she and her daughter play mobile games, and she hasn't bought NSMBW because she thought it may be too hard for her daughter (using buttons seems complicated) but is very interested and considering getting it for her. The other says that her daughters love NSMBW, and they also play mobile games. The other is a Male, no kids, and said he wouldn't mind playing NSMB, but he wouldn't buy a U to play it (he mentioned the U himself).

RolStoppable said:

What would you say is the single biggest and most obvious reason why NSMBU didn't match the sales pace of NSMBW?

Clearly the pricepoint and lack of other games to buy with it. That's paired with the fact that cheaper alternatives exist.

Around the Network

Nintendo: You are paying for the ability to not leave your couch and not fill up your house with clutter.

happydolphin said:
RolStoppable said:

Clearly the pricepoint and lack of other games to buy with it. That's paired with the fact that cheaper alternatives exist.

That's the heart of the issue. Your analysis of the situation is way off base. I'll tell you why.

The single biggest reason why NSMBU didn't match the sales pace of NSMBW is due to the amount of hardware that exists. Consider these facts:

1) NSMBW sold more than 10m copies in three months.
2) Nintendo was going to ship a maximum amount of 5.5m Wii Us during the console's first 4.5 months, because they wouldn't be able to produce more than that.

Therefore, even if you assume a complete sellout for Wii U hardware and a 100 % attach rate for the game, NSMBU would be capped at 5.5m units which is about half the pace of NSMBW. If you run these obvious numbers, it was always clear that it was impossible for NSMBU to sell at the same pace as NSMBW. It was impossible for it to do even half as well.

Instead of taking the obvious into account, you made up a myriad of other possible reasons. All of your arguments in this thread are based on an entirely false premise and the longer you ignore the obvious, the more ridiculous your arguments will get. You saw a problem where there is none.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

RolStoppable said:

That's the heart of the issue. Your analysis of the situation is way off base. I'll tell you why.

The single biggest reason why NSMBU didn't match the sales pace of NSMBW is due to the amount of hardware that exists. Consider these facts:

1) NSMBW sold more than 10m copies in three months.
2) Nintendo was going to ship a maximum amount of 5.5m Wii Us during the console's first 4.5 months, because they wouldn't be able to produce more than that.

Therefore, even if you assume a complete sellout for Wii U hardware and a 100 % attach rate for the game, NSMBU would be capped at 5.5m units which is about half the pace of NSMBW. If you run these obvious numbers, it was always clear that it was impossible for NSMBU to sell at the same pace as NSMBW. It was impossible for it to do even half as well.

Instead of taking the obvious into account, you made up a myriad of other possible reasons. All of your arguments in this thread are based on an entirely false premise and the longer you ignore the obvious, the more ridiculous your arguments will get. You saw a problem where there is none.

I like your facts (honestly), but the main problem with this is that the U did not sell out, so the cap was never reached.

happydolphin said:

I like your facts (honestly), but the main problem with this is that the U did not sell out, so the cap was never reached.

Why does this even matter?

RolStoppable said:
happydolphin said:

Why does this even matter?

It matters because the cap never limited the pace of NSMBU.