By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo's unrealistic pricing for old-school platformers et al.

Tagged games:

RolStoppable said:

Both games were worked on for roughly two years by the team sizes I mentioned, so it's pretty clear which game was more expensive to produce.

The team's efficiency should be put into question. Sorry, I forgot they went belly up.

TruckOSaurus said:

I'm saying your argument doesn't hold water.

It's possible. That's why I posted it, to get feedback. I was told to get off my high horse but I'm looking around and I'm not sure where it went.

Spazzy_D said:

How is using a working business strategy gambling?  At this point in time, it brings in consistent profit.  If it is being marked up, and starts not selling at some point, marking it down won't hurt it.  Marking it down, making less money, and not being able to convince people to pay the old price because of it will actually hurt.  Even if you consider the original business plan a gamble for some reason, you can't actually say it's a bigger gamble.

I respect your opinion.

Around the Network
happydolphin said:

TruckOSaurus said:

If you go to the movies, you'll the same price for any movie, no matter if it's a big budget Hollywood production or a small indie movie. 

If you go see the indie movie, do you feel robbed? No. If the movie is enjoyable, you'll come out of the theater satisfied.

It's the same argument as Nikkom gave me. GTAIV should be priced 150$? They can't do that, at least I don't think it would work, just like I don't think 50$ will work for NSMB in the near future. No more novelty, and much higher competition nowadays.

7$, especially for a rental, I consider reasonable. I rarely go to the cinema and rarely feel not robbed, especially not with 3D. You guys may see it as value, I don't. An outing to the cinema is a luxury I only consider worthwhile if the movie is top-notch. Example: Skyfall.

You side-stepped my point. Let's say you consider Movie A and Movie B to be equally enjoyable and entertaining, why do you care that one cost 200millions to make and the other 2million?

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:

You side-stepped my point. Let's say you consider Movie A and Movie B to be equally enjoyable and entertaining, why do you care that one cost 200millions to make and the other 2million?

Trucks, I didn't side-step it. If you look closely, you're making the same point as Nikkom. In this case, the 200m$ costing movies are under-priced because otherwise they would never sell. Like he was saying they should be sold at 50$ a ticket, that would never work. Instead, they mark it down to increase volume.

Ironically enough, that's what I was telling you regarding a markdown of these Nintendo games. Sadly your point on HW is a good one, and though it could boost HW sales, Nintendo's HW strategy does not warrant apple-like or tablet-like sales. It's too niche I'm afraid.

RolStoppable said:
happydolphin said:

The team's efficiency should be put into question.

Why?

I have honestly never played it, but it is my understanding that it does not have the same quality value as Galaxy does. As such, Nintendo offered a much higher-caliber product at a much more reasonable cost.

I heard that Epic Mickey 2 had a lot of bugs, and its metacritic is very low.

shakarak said:
I bought Kirby's Epic Yarn for $12 at gamestop, and Donkey Kong Country Returns for 29.99 (about a month ago)

True, but that's not what HappyD is trying to get at. He thinks the games shouldn't be priced that much ever. Even at launch.

happydolphin said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Trucks, I didn't side-step it. If you look closely, you're making the same point as Nikkom. In this case, the 200m$ costing movies are under-priced because otherwise they would never sell. Like he was saying they should be sold at 50$ a ticket, that would never work. Instead, they mark it down to increase volume.

Ironically enough, that's what I was telling you regarding a markdown of these Nintendo games. Sadly your point on HW is a good one, and though it could boost HW sales, Nintendo's HW strategy does not warrant apple-like or tablet-like sales. It's too niche I'm afraid.

Movie studios know full well the average price of a movie ticket, when they green light a project it's because they expect enough people will be interested in seeing the movie to make a profit. So no, the ticket price for big budget films is not underpriced. It is what it is and it's a variable movie studios have to work with.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
NintendoPie said:

I'm not sure that we would see a jump in SW sales, if anything, they'll likely go down this Generation. So, unless Sony or MS make their games cost 70$, I don't think a Market Shift towards Nintendo just because their prices were lowered would happen. It doesn't seem too likely.

I think the potential market is bigger than the console market of today leads us to believe. Facebook and moblie platforms would lead us to believe that there is a huge market out there. Even ignoring that important possibility, a jump from platforms is not required in the purchase of a new platform. The owning of a gaming console from one company or another is not mutually exclusive.

TruckOSaurus said:

Movie studios know full well the average price of a movie ticket, when they green light a project it's because they expect enough people will be interested in seeing the movie to make a profit. So no, the ticket price for big budget films is not underpriced. It is what it is and it's a variable movie studios have to work with.

In relative terms, it's underpriced. The truth is that a lower-budget film may have a similar number of viewers than a higher-budget film due to the fact that appeal has in certain cases not so much to do with budget.

A movie with depth may require a lesser budget than a movie with special effects, yet they both could garner the same audience.

The problem with NSMB imho is that it doesn't even have that depth, and is in a difficult spot. Even if it did have depth, for argument sake, it certainly no longer has much novelty left. I can't say the same about 3D Mario which is in constant evolution.

Spazzy_D said:

How is using a working business strategy gambling?  At this point in time, it brings in consistent profit.  If it is being marked up, and starts not selling at some point, marking it down won't hurt it.  Marking it down, making less money, and not being able to convince people to pay the old price because of it will actually hurt.  Even if you consider the original business plan a gamble for some reason, you can't actually say it's a bigger gamble.

I respect your opinion.

You never answered though, why do you conisder it a gamble?  

Spazzy_D said:

Remember when I mentioned that the market was changing, and that you don't really fully know the value of a product until you unwrap it? NSMB is a new offering which has seen 4 entries in the recent past, my suspicion is that the series will not offer enough novelty to sustain the sales of its first entries, even with MiiVerse.

As such, to maintain the MSRP of 40-60$ is a gamble. The market is constantly evolving, and offerings with little to no novelty are, in and of themselves, a serious gamble.

happydolphin said:
NintendoPie said:

I'm not sure that we would see a jump in SW sales, if anything, they'll likely go down this Generation. So, unless Sony or MS make their games cost 70$, I don't think a Market Shift towards Nintendo just because their prices were lowered would happen. It doesn't seem too likely.

I think the potential market is bigger than the console market of today leads us to believe. Facebook and moblie platforms would lead us to believe that there is a huge market out there. Even ignoring that important possibility, a jump from platforms is not required in the purchase of a new platform. The owning of a gaming console from one company or another is not mutually exclusive.

We can't always count on potential. I doubt many of those people would want to jump ship from their Phones (as gaming devices) to Nintendo just because they dropped the price of some of their FlagShip titles. I just don't see it playing out. 

Let me ask you this, what do you think 2D Mario should be priced at now? (Sorry if you already answered this.)

happydolphin said:
Spazzy_D said:

Remember when I mentioned that the market was changing, and that you don't really fully know the value of a product until you unwrap it? NSMB is a new offering which has seen 4 entries in the recent past, my suspicion is that the series will not offer enough novelty to sustain the sales of its first entries, even with MiiVerse.

As such, to maintain the MSRP of 40-60$ is a gamble. The market is constantly evolving, and offerings with little to no novelty are, in and of themselves, a serious gamble.

So you consider the next CoD a gamble?

Signature goes here!