By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Big 3's owned Ip's Sony 221, MSFT 90, Nintendo, 96

Chunli said:
Urgh is Fatal Frame really Nintendo's IP now?

Wasn't Fatal Frame 1,2 and 3 exclusive for PS2?

All I can find is that Nintendo owns a significant portion of it.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

Around the Network

Chunli said:
Urgh is Fatal Frame really Nintendo's IP now?

Wasn't Fatal Frame 1,2 and 3 exclusive for PS2?

Nintendo co-owns the IP. Not sure how it came about, but here's a news article about it:

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/06/22/report-nintendo-now-co-owns-fatal-frame-ip/

Also, it has never been a PS2 exclusive. It was a PS2 timed exclusive for the first title, with the Xbox getting a version later the same year (in North America).

Fatal Frame 2 was also a PS2 timed exclusive, the Xbox getting a version again about a year later. The Wii has, more recently, gotten its own version of it.

Fatal Frame 3 has only released on the PS2, making it the only PS2 exclusive title in the franchise. The series isn't PS2 exclusive by any measure.

And of course, Fatal Frame 4 is a Wii exclusive. Plus, the spinoff title, Spirit Camera, is exclusive to the 3DS.

Journey is a Sony IP. It is copyritten on Sony's website. As fun as it is to try to win the fanboy wars, this isn't the way to go about it. Try doing some research first.

"PlayStation" and the "PS" Family logo are registered trademarks of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.
PS3 is a trademark of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.
© 2012 Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC. Journey is a trademark of Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC. Developed by thatgamecompany.

http://us.playstation.com/games-and-media/games/journey-ps3.html

I'm going to search through some other games on Sony's site since I'm bored tonight.

Beyond does not have a Sony trademark

Unfinished Swan is owned by Sony. I don't know if this was on any list, but I checked it anyway.

Papa and Yo is not owned by Sony (that surprised me)

Heavy Rain not Sony

Linger in Shadows not Sony

Mister Mosquito not owned by Sony

PaRappa the Rappr IS owned by Sony

PixelJunk not owned by Sony

PoPoLoCrois not Sony

Grind session page does not have the Sony trademark

Heavenly Sword IS owned by Sony

Jeanne d'Arc does not appear to be owned by Sony, the copyright holder is not named

Lair is owned by Sony

My Street not owned by Sony, copyright holder not named

Okage not trademarked, copyright holder not named

I don't know how reliable the website is. Often times the trademark holder is not named. I don't know if Sony's just being lazy or if it's because they genuinely don't own it. Either way, I'm stopping here. I recommend further research be done if you want a reliable list.

nuckles87 said:
Journey is a Sony IP. It is copyritten on Sony's website. As fun as it is to try to win the fanboy wars, this isn't the way to go about it. Try doing some research first.

"PlayStation" and the "PS" Family logo are registered trademarks of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.
PS3 is a trademark of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.
© 2012 Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC. Journey is a trademark of Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC. Developed by thatgamecompany.

http://us.playstation.com/games-and-media/games/journey-ps3.html

Ill put it back up.  And i didnt post this for fan wars just like i didnt post the last thread for fan wars. 

Wasn't talking about you. I was talking to the person making the huge list of titles he claims are not owned by Sony, while using words like "probably", indicating he didn't really do much research. His list isn't quite as wrong as I initially thought it would be, but there are still some glaring errors.

Around the Network
JayWood2010 said:
Updated again lol  I dont know how you are getting all this information but great job XD

Mostly, I'm following the wikipedia links, and then looking at various information from there. For instance, if the developer is Sony, I call it a Sony IP (even if it's from back before Sony made the PlayStation, and Sony aren't the publisher). If Psygnosis made it, it's a Sony IP. If it's made by a third-party developer, I go looking to see if I can determine whether ownership is likely to have gone to Sony - if I find proof that a version was released without Sony involvement, then it belongs to the developer. If another developer ended up making games for it, with Sony still publishing, I consider it a Sony IP. If I can't find evidence either way, it goes in the "Debatable" category.

In some cases, it's not just the developer that matters. For instance, PoPoLoCrois, when I followed it, was listed as a manga series, and Sony just published the games. Even if Sony have an exclusive deal to publish games in that series, they don't own the IP. For the same reason, I wouldn't call the Jump series of games a Nintendo IP - the characters in it are from Weekly Shonen Jump, and thus not owned by Nintendo. Fortunately, that game isn't listed for Nintendo on your list, so no need to remove that one.

In some cases, I have to check sequels to see if there's indication of any title in the series providing evidence one way or the other.

If I think they're a bit debatable, but I feel fairly confident that Sony probably has ownership, I don't bother listing it at all.

I plan on going through the Nintendo and Microsoft lists using the same rule of thumb, too. A few are likely to get marked for removal from each, but not nearly as many as Sony... mostly because Sony is a lot more active with the third-parties, publishing a lot more of their games than Sony or MS do. If we wanted to go the other way, and include games like the PSN ones that are likely to be owned by the developer, then we'd have to also include equivalent games on WiiWare/eShop and Xbox Live. I figure it's better to favour not counting such titles unless there's strong evidence that the company owns the IP.

nuckles87 said:

Wasn't talking about you. I was talking to the person making the huge list of titles he claims are not owned by Sony, while using words like "probably", indicating he didn't really do much research. His list isn't quite as wrong as I initially thought it would be, but there are still some glaring errors.

I'm doing research in one direction. Where I use words like "probably", it's an indication that I hadn't found sufficient proof for me to be certain.

One thing I hadn't considered was checking for Sony trademarks. Although one does need to be careful with regards to the difference between copyright and trademark (trademark refers to the name - Leander, for instance, was the name of a game published by Psygnosis... then the developer had it published by EA on the Mega Drive under a different name. It's likely the name, Leander, was trademarked by Psygnosis, but the game and IP was copyrighted by the developer).

There were always going to be a few mistakes along the way. You appear to have identified Parappa and Journey as being owned by Sony. You also identified that Papa & Yo, which I marked as "debatable", was actually not Sony at all. Note that flOw, the first of the series from Thatgamecompany, isn't trademarked by Sony. Not sure about Flower - it's got the "registered" mark, rather than the TM. It's not exactly unreasonable to expect the same situation to apply to the later titles - it's not guaranteed, but it's certainly reasonable.

Also note that I never intended my list to be simply removed from the listings entirely - I meant for them to be considered for removal, a chance to hopefully cut down on the effort that would otherwise be necessary. I fully figured that, if there were errors, someone would catch them and correct them, just as I was trying to do with the original list.

Frankly, one reason why Sony probably has more new IP then anyone else...is because until the PS3, not much of their IP was bankable. Most of their successful games from the Playstation era were either third party, co-developed with Universal, didn't do well enough to warrant a franchise, or died during the Playstation 2 transition. In fact, I think the only two Sony IPs that have been able to survive from the original PS1 era were Gran Turismo and Twisted Metal, both of which have gotten plenty of games in their series. They had more success in the PS2 era, and the best selling new IPs, God of War and Ratchet and Clank, have gotten plenty of sequels. Even then, though, most of the PS2's best selling titles were 3rd party games. Sony didn't need many bankable IPs.

That all changed with PS3, PSP and Vita, which needed first party support to survive. This is why there has been such a proliferation of new IPs out of Sony now, because few of their games could move numbers like Halo, Fable, Gears of War, Forza, Mario, Zelda, Pokemon and Smash Bros.

And that's why they are exploiting the hell out of Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted, God of War, LittleBigPlanet, Resistance, and MotorStorm. That's why they developed those IPs in the first place. And now that Sony has established some more million selling IPs, you can probably expect them to begin relying on them much more heavily. Though I think the slow sails of the Vita despite LittleBigPlanet, Uncharted and Resistance games shows that these IP still aren't as bankable as top Nintendo and Microsoft IPs...though in fairness, Resistance was pretty bad and Uncharted was just a sidestory entry into the franchise.

Some Nintendo IPs:

Freakyforms (3DS eShop)
Game & Watch (various games across Nintendo handhelds)
Fluidity (WiiWare & 3DS eShop)
Sakura Samurai (3DS eShop)
Photo Dojo (DSiWare)
Art Academy (DS and 3DS)
Master of Illusion (DS)

Read my original story on Fictionpress (Shinigami Twin): http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2996503/1/Shinigami-Twin 

As well as my other one (Hell's Punishment): http://www.fictionpress.com/s/3085054/1/Hell-s-Punishment

Nintendo Network ID: kingofe3