By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Big 3's owned Ip's Sony 221, MSFT 90, Nintendo, 96

nah too many nintendo ip's missing

Around the Network
Aielyn said:
OK, so I'm going to start going through the Sony list, identifying the IPs that aren't owned by Sony. I chose to do Sony first only because it's the biggest list, might as well get it out of the way first. Note that unless I know what the series is where there's no link provided, I won't include it on this list - so IPs like "Arena" and "Deadline" may or may not be Sony owned - I don't know.

The following only covers up to G-Police, I will continue some time soon.

Not Sony:
Alundra is owned by Matrix Software - the sequel was published by Activision outside of Japan.
Aquanaut's Holiday is owned by Artdink, Sony published in the West only.
Beyond: Two Souls is almost certainly owned by Quantic Dream (as, I assume, is Heavy Rain)
Cliffhanger is based on the movie, and is thus a licensed game.
Crash Bandicoot, once again, is owned by Activision. Sony only owns rights to certain games, not the IP. Sony would not be able to release the games they own the rights to without Activision's permission, as it contains Activision IP. Just like how Diddy Kong Racing requires MS permission to release, even though it's part of a Nintendo IP - it doesn't mean that MS owns the Diddy Kong IP. And again, Spyro also is owned by Activision.
.detuned is likely to be owned by the developer, .theprodukkt, rather than by Sony, given the naming. It's also not really a game, but rather, an app.
Drakan is now owned by Warner Bros (who bought the developer prior to it becoming defunct)
Dyad is developed and published by Right Square Bracket Left Square Bracket Inc.
Everyday Shooter was a PSN title developed by Queasy Games and was also released on Windows.
Flow is owned by Thatgamecompany.
Flower also is owned by Thatgamecompany.

Debatable:
Anarchy (published by Psygnosis prior to purchase by Sony, developed by WJS Design - not sure which holds the rights)
Atomino (published by Psygnosis prior to purchase by Sony, developed by Blue Byte Software, which is now owned by Ubisoft)
Badman (Sony published in Japan, Nippon Ichi published in America, may be owned by Acquire (developer) or Sony)
Ballistix (published by Psygnosis prior to purchase by Sony, also by two other publishers, developed by Reflections, which is now owned by Ubisoft)
Beyond the Beyond (published by Sony, but developed by Camelot Software Planning)
Blood Money (published by Psygnosis prior to purchase by Sony, developed by DMA Design, now known as Rockstar North)
Cardinal Syn (published by branch of Sony, developed by now-defunct Kronos Digital Entertainment)
Coded Soul (published by Sony, developed by apparently-defunct Gaia, IP likely owned by Gaia but uncertain)
The Con (published by Sony, developed by "Think & Feel Inc")
Cytron (published by Psygnosis prior to purchase by Sony, developed by Lunatic Software)
Destruction Derby (really unclear - been published by Psygnosis, THQ, Sony, Soft Bank, Midway, and Gathering. Developed by Reflections Interactive (now owned by Ubisoft), Looking Glass Studios (now defunct), and Studio 33 (now owned by EA))
Escape Plan (published by Sony, developed by Fun Bits Interactive)
Fluid (published by Sony, developed by Opus)
Folklore (published by Sony, developed by Game Republic (now defunct) - may be Sony-owned, as GR pitched sequel idea to Sony)
Genji (published by Sony, developed by Game Republic (now defunct))

PSN/PS Store titles that are probably owned by their developer:
Dark Mist (developed by Game Republic (now defunct))
Dead Nation (developed by Housemarque)
Elefunk (developed by 8bit Games and Big Head Games - the two studios are closely related)
Feel Ski (developed by Yuke's)
Go! Puzzle (developed by Zoonami and Cohort Studios)

Other:
Deap Space - can't find any evidence that it's anything but a typo for Dead Space, which obviously isn't owned by Sony. Can anyone confirm that this game exists and is different from Dead Space?

Thanks. Ill fix them sometime in the morning.  Ill remove crash bandicoot and spyro as well because you are right that they dont own them other than the first few games.

Nintendo should have Drill Dozer. Nester's Funky Bowling. Galactic Pinball I guess. Super Princess Peach. I'd argue that Paper Mario and Mario and Luigi should be listed separately fro Mario. Steel Diver should be on there.

JayWood2010 said:
guiduc said:
NobleTeam360 said:
Nem said:
NobleTeam360 said:
And Nintendo is still last in this regard as well.

I'm not sure you should be celebrating as most Microsoft IP's are Xbox live arcade stuff.

I wasn't celebrating I was just stating a fact. 

The real fact here is that many NINTENDO Ips have been overlooked while Sony's list still have Crash games, but Crash Bandicoot is not owned anymore by Sony and why can't Mario Kart and Mario Party be distinct franchises? You're stating such a bold fact given the list itself isn't really accurate.

I will be fixing all of them in the morning. Sorry for the delay.

No prob bro. Great thread idea.

guiduc said:
NobleTeam360 said:
Nem said:
NobleTeam360 said:
And Nintendo is still last in this regard as well.

I'm not sure you should be celebrating as most Microsoft IP's are Xbox live arcade stuff.

I wasn't celebrating I was just stating a fact. 

The real fact here is that many NINTENDO Ips have been overlooked while Sony's list still have Crash games, but Crash Bandicoot is not owned anymore by Sony and why can't Mario Kart and Mario Party be distinct franchises? You're stating such a bold fact given the list itself isn't really accurate.

Well since the list has been updated MS and Nintendo are tied but Sony still blows them both out of the water. Heck Sony almost triple's MS and Nintendo's owned IP's. 

Around the Network

its really obvious nintendo has a problem making new IP's

Chark said:
Microsoft could bring some back but should be making new ones more regularly.

Sony should bring several back but are juggling a lot right now and still trying to bring new ones.

Nintendo should really make some new ones.

New Brute Force,new Kameo and new KungFuChaos and i would be at least interested in the new Xbox.
Those were great games.

Sony has a big library.
They probably have a hard time what to choose and Naughty Dog/Sony should get their Crash back.
Then of course most of their 1st/2nd Party Studios are working with 2 teams on new games.A lot of them are already in development for the PS4 or some new IPs still coming this year for the PS3.
I think you can count most of the games as a Sony IP cause for example Quantic Dream won't work for anyone else.They love Sony and will stay with them.They also said they would become 1st party if they get the chance.They are always Sony Exclusive and some others will never get released on other consoles.

Nintendo needs to spend money and they obviously do.
They probably have some nice J-RPGs coming,maybe a good relationship with Platinum Games(the only developer who is able to do good games of those genre right now so you have to get a WiiU if you want good Actioncombat games like Bayonetta) and some others.

Great initiative!!!

Best IP MS ever owned is deffnly Age of Empires!!! Fables pretty good as well

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Wow. Sony really needs to slow down on making new Ip's and focus on reviving their legacy games. It's good and all that Sony continues to aggressively create new games but if you can't make much profit of those, what's the point.

Nintendo is the opposite and needs to create more Ip's but at a slower rate than Sony. They have created mostly casual and eshop Ip's during the Wii gen, so I hope we will see more core ip's instead like Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2 and Shin:Emblem on the Wii U

Don't care about Microsoft's Ip count. I buy their console for Halo, Fable and the third party support.

NobleTeam360 said:
Well since the list has been updated MS and Nintendo are tied but Sony still blows them both out of the water. Heck Sony almost triple's MS and Nintendo's owned IP's. 

The lists haven't been fixed properly, yet. There's Nintendo IPs, at least, that are missing. There are IPs listed for Sony that need to be removed (at least 18, assuming that not a single game after G-Police on the list except Heavy Rain and Spyro have to be removed, and none of the debatable ones do). There are probably IPs incorrectly attributed to Nintendo and Microsoft, too.

It's also worth noting that a large proportion of the Sony-owned IPs are IPs that originated with Psygnosis prior to Sony buying them out, that haven't been touched since. In some cases, they're from before the NES. Sony hold the rights purely due to buying Psygnosis, and they have done nothing with them.

I expect that, once it has all been fixed and checked, there'll be around 120 IPs under Nintendo, maybe 100 under Microsoft, and maybe 180-240 under Sony, of which about 80 will be old Psygnosis IPs. It's going to be a lot closer than it currently looks, in other words.