By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Official Legend of Zelda Thread: BotW Sells 31.61M Units & TotK Sells 20.28M Units

Which Zelda game have you finished the most?

The Legend of Zelda 6 23.08%

A Link to the Past 11 42.31%

Link's Awakening 0 0%

Ocarina of Time 3 11.54%

Majora's Mask 0 0%

The Wind Waker 0 0%

Twilight Princess 4 15.38%

Skyward Sword 0 0%

Breath of the Wild 1 3.85%

Other 1 3.85%

Total:26
Hynad said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

We also need to consider that for some people, this does not make the experience more enjoyable

The Last of Us 2 has one of the best voice acting and expressions I've seen in a video game before, and it's a marvel from a technical standpoint. This is an objective fact that cannot be argued

Some people however don't care for voice acting and expressions in cutscenes, so for those people it's a voided quality

For me, I don't see the appeal of fusing stuff, so when they showed this on the demo everything I gave was a big yawn, don't really care if it is an innovative mechanic never done before I just don't see myself making mutch use of it 

The game’s combat is balanced around that very mechanic, so you’ll have a hard time through the game if you don’t learn to use and appreciate it.

That's a non issue, I have over 200 hours and beat BOTW 3 times still having no fucking clue of how to really fight

My strategy is always going on shrine hunting to unlock powerful weapons and get as much upgrades are possible, avoiding enemies as much as possible and when I'm comfortable powered try to challenge the divine beasts. Had no problem beating BOTW with this. 

Around the Network

Made it back to the surface and was reminded all over again how special this version of Hyrule is.
Foxes, deer, boar, squirrels, and all kinds of other animals going about their lives. The lush grass waving in the breeze. Seemingly straightforward enemy encounters turning into unique stories of their own through the game's emergent systems.
Man it feels good to be back.

The "beacons are lit" scene where the new towers fire up was super cool, and skydiving feels incredible, it's like that feeling when you're cutting paper and the scissors start gliding.
The whole experience is just bursting with the unnameable magic feeling that only the best games have; I'm barely passed the tutorial area and I'm already feeling like this is gonna be top 10 of all time material.

Slownenberg said:

Yeah the people who criticize the games seem to just be people who don't like open world games or just didn't want to zelda formula to change to open world because they think of Zelda very specifically as the pre-BotW Zelda formula.

Basically everyone else that doesn't hold those biases loves BotW (and presumably TotK). BotW is definitely one of the coolest and most engrossing games I've ever played. I do love the old Zelda formula, but I think it is better for new 2D Zelda games, while 3D should stick to the open world formula which is just so much more engrossing.

So yeah I agree, the criticisms seem to be personal bias, while the compliments are more objectively based like talking about how amazing the gameplay is and how amazing the open world is and the freedom is and so on. Not to say their are valid more general objective criticisms for BotW, cuz the game ain't perfect, though hoping TotK went a long way to perfecting it.

I'd guess there are quite a lot of Zelda fans who don't like BotW formula cause they like previous 3D Zelda formula or just don't like open world games. Then there are those who like open world games and still don't like BotW formula from numerous reasons.

I can speak only for myself, open world game design is something I grew up with, been playing such games from 80s onward and they are something I always look forward to. After first BotW announcement and showcase, I was very optimistic, given that previous formula, from my POV, was quite flawed and long overdue for overhaul.

The thing is, I find BotW's open world formula to break easily after certain amount of hours and becomes quite repetitive and unrewarding for the most part. And given that I can quite easily imagine open world Zelda game that does not suffer from such problems and retains key elements (pun intended) from its rich past, I can quite easily say that, no, I don't think BotW is such a great game (physics or no physics), just like I can easily say that Skyrim, while commercial smash hit and universally praised, pales creatively compared to Morrowind or Daggerfall.

Kakadu18 said:

I've just seen someone call Tears of the Kingdom a Genshin Impact wannabe.
Now I've seen everything.

Circles back

How the turntables have turned

IcaroRibeiro said:
Hynad said:

The game’s combat is balanced around that very mechanic, so you’ll have a hard time through the game if you don’t learn to use and appreciate it.

That's a non issue, I have over 200 hours and beat BOTW 3 times still having no fucking clue of how to really fight

My strategy is always going on shrine hunting to unlock powerful weapons and get as much upgrades are possible, avoiding enemies as much as possible and when I'm comfortable powered try to challenge the divine beasts. Had no problem beating BOTW with this. 

That's the thing with TotK. Powerful weapons don't seem to really exist anymore because all weapons got degraded. That is specifically designed this way to make you fuse weapons with increasingly more powerful monsterparts.

Around the Network

Finally getting the paraglider feels great. 30 hours in I finally decided to go where I was told to go and got it quicker than I expected.

Kakadu18 said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

That's the thing with TotK. Powerful weapons don't seem to really exist anymore because all weapons got degraded. That is specifically designed this way to make you fuse weapons with increasingly more powerful monsterparts.

So I'm probably going to suffer a lot I think

IcaroRibeiro said:
Kakadu18 said:

It's not so bad, if you're careful you can defeat powerful enemies from afar with arrows fused with Bomb flowers. You collect their parts and then everytime you get a cheap stick or a rusted sword, you drop one monster part on the ground and fuse it to get a strong and more durable weapon. 

Signature goes here!

IcaroRibeiro said:
Kakadu18 said:

When not fusing weapons they are also less durable than in BotW but can be much more durable when fused.

TruckOSaurus said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

It's not so bad, if you're careful you can defeat powerful enemies from afar with arrows fused with Bomb flowers. You collect their parts and then everytime you get a cheap stick or a rusted sword, you drop one monster part on the ground and fuse it to get a strong and more durable weapon. 

I didn’t think about fusing monster parts yet. I’ve been holding onto them just in case a Fairy wants a bazillion of them before physically abusing me in their ponds…