By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Official Legend of Zelda Thread: BotW Sells 31.61M Units & TotK Sells 20.28M Units

Which Zelda game have you finished the most?

The Legend of Zelda 6 23.08%

A Link to the Past 11 42.31%

Link's Awakening 0 0%

Ocarina of Time 3 11.54%

Majora's Mask 0 0%

The Wind Waker 0 0%

Twilight Princess 4 15.38%

Skyward Sword 0 0%

Breath of the Wild 1 3.85%

Other 1 3.85%

Total:26
osed125 said:
AlphaCielago said:
I'm wondering if Wind Waker Remake will have a orchestrated soundtrack. To me it does not matter that much but it would be nice.

Wasn't the original already orchestrated? At least some of the songs were I think.

No, it used very high quality MIDI sounds. Twilight Princess too, Skyward Sword is the first Zelda game to have an orchestrated soundtrack.

Around the Network

Is this book a limited edition? or will i be able to buy it in the future?

Pavolink said:
Roma said:
Pavolink said:
Roma said:
I would like to see LTTP remade in full 3D!

Play Ocarina of Time.

are they that much alike? wouldn't know since I haven't played more than an hour or so of LTTP

Ocarina of Time is basically the 3D version of A Link to The Past:

3 dungeons first, obtain Master Sword, dark world (future in OoT), some dungeons, final boss. ALTTP has more dungeons.

Pretty much.  So many similarities beyond that too.  Hookshot?  Check.  Mirror shield?  Check. Green Red & Blue tunics?  Check.  Lake Hylia?  Kakariko Village?  Zora's Waterfall / Domain?  Check check check.  Even the Ocarina itself first appeared in LTTP.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

A Legend of Zelda Official Thread? Why wasn't this thought up sooner?!

Pavolink said:
Roma said:
Pavolink said:
Roma said:

Play Ocarina of Time.

are they that much alike? wouldn't know since I haven't played more than an hour or so of LTTP

3 dungeons first, obtain Master Sword, dark world (future in OoT), some dungeons, final boss. ALTTP has more dungeons.

I have been saying that for years, and yet every time I do I get harassed for it.  It's even a worse version of it, if you ask me.  (fewer dungeons, shorter dungeons, fewer weapons, and some nasty poor conveyance at parts) 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network
Runa216 said:
Pavolink said:
Roma said:
Pavolink said:
Roma said:

Play Ocarina of Time.

3 dungeons first, obtain Master Sword, dark world (future in OoT), some dungeons, final boss. ALTTP has more dungeons

I have been saying that for years, and yet every time I do I get harassed for it.  It's even a worse version of it, if you ask me.  (fewer dungeons, shorter dungeons, fewer weapons, and some nasty poor conveyance at parts) 

Well, to be fair, every Zelda game has fewer dungeons than A Link to the Past.

But I would dispute the argument that Ocarina is A Link to the Past with a 3D treatment. For three reasons:

1) Story

There is a bigger and deeper story in Ocarina, one that plays with narrative logic much more than A Link to the Past.

2) Mechanics

Ocarina operates according to different mechanical rules than it's predecessor. Things like z-targeting and auto-jump seem passe now, but in 1998 they represented major steps forward.

3) Immersion

Ocarina immersed its players more convincingly in the virtual game world. Horseback riding, fishing, the realistic passage of time -- all these things and more made the experience more real, more livable. It's one of the main reasons Ocarina is the greatest video game of all time, at least in my opinion.

Roma said:
DanneSandin said:
Roma said:
DanneSandin said:
Roma said:
so the next Zelda for WiiU will ditch the linearity of the previous games and go back to basics of the first Zelda which is good but how will the story work if you get to chose witch dungeon you can beat first? I haven't played the first Zeldas so I don't know how the story was told in those games.

anywho doesn't this sound like the rumor we got about Zelda for WiiU last year? coincidence?

Did the first game have a story?! I just went about finding rupees and killing monsters ^^ for 20 years...

It does? I remember that they said the first (forest) temple would be huuuge!

lol no story?

It does unless I remember it wrong

it should be huge though with monsters all over the place! they should bring back the monsters that jump down from treas like those they removed from TP

Well it had a story; gather all the 8 pieces of the Triforce of Wisdom, *SPOILER* kill Ganon and save Zelda */SPOILER*

Man I don't even remember those monsters, but I totally agree: moar monzterzzzz!!! Actually, in the original game, they had a lot of enemies!! It seems as if they've only gotten fewer and fewer... =/

probably because there is more work that needs to be done with more advanced models and animations

careful so you don't ruin the story for people lol

But I see a lot of other games (even on Nintendo's own consoles) that has a lot more monsters... Just take Xenoblade vs Zelda SS; Xeno has A LOT more monsters in it... I've seen quite a lot of comments on this very site complaining about that Zelda has become too puzzle oriented; and I think that's true, but it will only be a negative thing as long as you don't have enough of enemies to battle...

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Cheebee said:
DanneSandin said:
Cheebee said:

DanneSandin said:

I don't think we'll see 3 console Zeldas on the same system as long as Nintendo is developing it. Maybe if Retro is allowed to make a trilogy...

Yeah, because Retro's known for really putting out a lot of games, fast. ;) I wouldn't count on it.

No, I don't count on it =) But didn't they manage to put out the Metroid Prime series relatively fast?

Yes. The key word being relatively. ;)

Then again, WiiU is a brand new system, and new hardware always take a while to come to terms with. Also, it's far more powerful, meaning the game(s) they work on are going to be more complex and difficult to create. It's going to take a lot more effort and time.

Of course we also don't know what kind of game they're working on. the Primes were all similar, so after the first one, making the sequels was a lot easier, as they already had the engine, assets, and experience. If the game they're making now is something totally new, that would also add a lot to the development time and effort needed.

Anyway, I'm super excited to see what they'll come up with, it's bound to be spectacular! ^_^

*Sorry for going a bit off-topic here, haha.

Well, they've been staffing up as of late, so they THAT should help some :P And if they start developing Zelda for the NEXT Nintendo console right after their new project I'm sure it would be ready for launch :P

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

S.Peelman said:
DanneSandin said:
(..)

What?! The stories continued after that game??? What happened to him???

(..)

I don't know.

He is personally mentioned in the prologue of the Wind Waker, several times during Twilight Princess and because of what is now said about it in Hyrule Historia, you could say it's implied in the prologue to ALttP that he died at some point before that (though ofcourse that was never written as such back then). Plus the ending to Majora's Mask doesn't exacly wrap things up.

So now there are explanations for the Wind Waker and A Link to the Past stories, but all the references to him in Twilight Princess don't. Some people believe the 'Hero's Shade', the ghost-character that teaches you new moves inside a dream world, is in fact the Hero of Time, mainly because he knows so much about that Link while most of his adventures didn't actually happen for the TP timeline due to timeline issues caused in OoT. Personally I don't think it is Link, but if it is, how? What happened there? It gets quite complicated because of the split timelines and stuff to figure out what happened prior to what game and what in TP could reference the OoT/MM Link though. Like the green tunic in TP, said to have belonged to a 'Legendary Hero', or the Hero's Bow, said by the Gorons to have belonged to one that helped them centuries ago.

Concerning Majora's Mask, the game starts with Link searching for 'a friend', of whom it can be assumed is Navi the fairy since she's abscent, while riding through a dark forest. At the end of the game however, Link is seen riding off through the same woods someplace else, presumably continueing his initial quest before he got interupted by the Skull Kid. This leaves a very open end.

Having read the chronology section of Hyrule Historia, I can reveal the following:

The Hero's Shade is the Hero of Time, confirmed. Twilight Princess follows on from Majora's Mask. The Hero of Time remains as the Hero's Shade and instructs Twilight Princess Link because the Hero of Time has been largely forgotten by the time of Twilight Princess. Remember, Majora's Mask follows on from a timeline in which Young Link saves Hyrule not by defeating Ganondorf, but by warning Zelda of what will happen should she interfere and open the door to the Sacred Realm. The second act of Ocarina, the Adult Link era, only happens because Ganondorf anticipates what Zelda and Link will do, using them to enter the Sacred Realm. Without access to the Sacred Realm, Ganondorf is caught, imprisoned, and eventually the Sages attempt to execute him, as we see in a flashback in TP. So the Hero's Shade is the surviving remnant of the Hero of Time, but in the timeline in which he survives and has saved Hyrule and returned to the past, and THEN saves Termina, he is almost completely forgotten in Hyrule because his confrontation with Ganondorf and his defeat of the King of Evil never happens. Training the new Hero is his way of continuing his forgotten legacy. 

The Hero of Time dies in the Link to the Past timeline, because the Imprisoning War follows should Link fail to defeat Ganondorf at Ganon's Castle at the end of Ocarina. The Hero of Time disappears from the Great Sea timeline, because Zelda returns him to his original time (the 'straight line' section of the timeline that results in Majora and Twilight), where his heroic actions never took place. Ironically, in the Great Sea timeline, the Hero of Time is celebrated as a legend and remembered even to the time of Wind Waker, centuries later. In fact, when Ganondorf initially returns, the people of Hyrule expect a Hero to appear to save them, but the Hero's Spirit (as it is referred to in the chronology section) hasn't been able to reappear due to Zelda using the ocarina to give Link his childhood back.

It's important to remember that the history in the Legend of Zelda isn't constrained by how we percieve history. It's much more like Tolkien's legendarium--certain ideas and themes and heroes and evils are reborn in different forms throughout the Ages, so it won't make sense as literal, linear history. It will only make sense if we accept that certain people, spirits, ideals and evils will renew themselves from time to time. In Zelda, however, the Princess and Hero always have the blood of the Princess and the spirit of the Hero in them. Everyone is bound by the curse of Demise from Skyward Sword, and further bound by Ganondorf splitting the Triforce in Ocarina. For example, in Twilight Princess, despite taking place in the timeline when Ganondorf was stopped from entering the Sacred Realm, the Triforce still splits and resides in Link, Zelda and Ganon. The Triforce is the unifying constant of Hyrule, so it seems to be exempt from normal laws of space and time.  These powerful, binding ties, inevitably mean that during many periods of strife in Hyrule (though not all of them, as the Great Flood and Imprisoning War testify) the Hero and the Princess will return to fight the Demon King, whether that's Vaati, Ganon (the most common and continuous form of evil), or Malladus.

Runa216 said:

I have been saying that for years, and yet every time I do I get harassed for it
.  It's even a worse version of it, if you ask me.  (fewer dungeons, shorter dungeons, fewer weapons, and some nasty poor conveyance at parts) 

Not anymore Runa, not anymore.

NightDragon83 said:

Pretty much.  So many similarities beyond that too.  Hookshot?  Check.  Mirror shield?  Check. Green Red & Blue tunics?  Check.  Lake Hylia?  Kakariko Village?  Zora's Waterfall / Domain?  Check check check.  Even the Ocarina itself first appeared in LTTP.

That's right. Ice Palace = Ice Cavern, just not a main dungeon in OoT. Aghanim = Ganondorf. Ganon's Tower with challenges of past dungeons = Ganon's Castle with challenges of past dungeons.

God, I want to play every Zelda now :(

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile