By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Official Legend of Zelda Thread: BotW Sells 31.61M Units & TotK Sells 20.28M Units

Which Zelda game have you finished the most?

The Legend of Zelda 5 21.74%

A Link to the Past 10 43.48%

Link's Awakening 0 0%

Ocarina of Time 2 8.70%

Majora's Mask 0 0%

The Wind Waker 0 0%

Twilight Princess 4 17.39%

Skyward Sword 0 0%

Breath of the Wild 1 4.35%

Other 1 4.35%

Total:23

He is gonna remake the whole intro of TLOZ for funsies as well. Could be a cool project.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Around the Network

BOTW's total now with updated numbers is 30.7m (29m for NS, 1.7m for WiiU), first time the series has broken 30m at all, in the quarter where TOTK releases it will cross 30m on NS alone meaning it also breaks 30m on a single format as well.

BOTW will outsell every Pokemon game and every Mario platformer minus Super Mario Bros. because it was bundled with almost every NES in the West.

As I said in that other thread ... that's fucking crazy. You gotta figure the inevitable 4K version of BOTW for the Switch 2 will probably amass a bunch of extra sales too in time. 

Wyrdness said:

BOTW's total now with updated numbers is 30.7m (29m for NS, 1.7m for WiiU), first time the series has broken 30m at all, in the quarter where TOTK releases it will cross 30m on NS alone meaning it also breaks 30m on a single format as well.

Thanks for the heads up! I updated the thread title and the front page.

Yep, it is pretty unbelievable. I don't think anyone would have guessed this game would get this high ever. And it's not even done yet, it has some more million in it, and yeah even before a potential rerelease.

I remember hoping that one day a game in the series, any game, would reach 10M "because the series deserved it", and then hoping A Link Between Worlds would finally be it maybe due to the retro/nostalgia effect like what happened with NSMB. Seems like ancient, and laughable, history now. I'm glad with with how it worked out though, Breath of the Wild is the perfect game to have widened the fanbase as much as it did and take the franchise's crown. I think it's unrealistic to expect Tears of the Kingdom to match BotW's sales, excellent as it may be, also keeping the late release in Switch's life in mind, but I hope the fanbase has indeed widened enough for it to at least get to half of these sales.

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:

Yep, it is pretty unbelievable. I don't think anyone would have guessed this game would get this high ever. And it's not even done yet, it has some more million in it, and yeah even before a potential rerelease.

I remember hoping that one day a game in the series, any game, would reach 10M "because the series deserved it", and then hoping A Link Between Worlds would finally be it maybe due to the retro/nostalgia effect like what happened with NSMB. Seems like ancient, and laughable, history now. I'm glad with with how it worked out though, Breath of the Wild is the perfect game to have widened the fanbase as much as it did and take the franchise's crown. I think it's unrealistic to expect Tears of the Kingdom to match BotW's sales, excellent as it may be, also keeping the late release in Switch's life in mind, but I hope the fanbase has indeed widened enough for it to at least get to half of these sales.

I think 15M is a given for Tears of the Kingdom, can't see it doing less than 20 million honestly. But it will fall short of Breath of the Wild's numbers.

mZuzek said:
S.Peelman said:

I think 15M is a given for Tears of the Kingdom, can't see it doing less than 20 million honestly. But it will fall short of Breath of the Wild's numbers.

I agree, 20M would be a great goal and result for TotK.

I'm actually expecting Zelda TOTK first fiscal quarter sells to be about 10M copies sold. People can't underestimate how much hype this game will get once we get close to release.

I'd say close to 20M lifetime sales could be doable but even then, it'd be an insane achievement for a franchise that previously did not reach those highs

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Bruh, Tears of the Kingdoms first week is going to be 10 Million! Book it. 

Mar1217 said:

I'm actually expecting Zelda TOTK first fiscal quarter sells to be about 10M copies sold. People can't underestimate how much hype this game will get once we get close to release.

I'd say close to 20M lifetime sales could be doable but even then, it'd be an insane achievement for a franchise that previously did not reach those highs

Your post could age like milk, so you better hope that today's Direct doesn't show us a Tears of the Kingdom that is an evolution of Skyward Sword rather than a better Breath of the Wild.

During the past 25 years the Zelda series went up and down. Ocarina of Time (well-received) was followed up* by The Wind Waker (not well-received) which led to Twilight Princess (well-received), followed by Skyward Sword (not well-received) which led to Breath of the Wild (so well-received like it hadn't been the case since the original The Legend of Zelda). Nintendo has to buck this trend for once.

*I am not counting Majora's Mask as the next big Zelda game because its working title was Zelda Gaiden (read: sidestory), hence why it lacked any reference to Ganon.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.