By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo 3rd Quarter Results (Oct-Dec) - Profit of over 450 million US

im coming...yeah...oh.....450......milion ...yeah.....

Around the Network
pezus said:
And where are the regional shipments??

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2013/130130e.pdf

Page 7

Keep in mind that is for the 9 month period.  You'll have to look at last quarter's report to find out what they did in just Q3.

Vinniegambini said:

Operating Income loss of 20 million yen, net income of 14,000 yen for year-end forecast.

Bascially, they are not profitable at the moment by selling video games, they are currently catching a break with the weaker yen and will post a profit because of the it.

I think you mean 20 billion yen for operating and 14 billion yen for net.

Iwata is blaming slower software development rate (lack of titles in other words) for the sudden drop in Wii U sales:

"The sales of Wii U were smooth at the beginning but since the turn of the year they have been losing momentum," Nintendo President Satoru Iwata told reporters in Osaka after revealing the loss forecast. He blamed the lacklustre performance on a dearth of games titles to woo players back.

"Due to delays in software development, we had to postpone sales of software products we had planned to (release) early this year, which is interrupting our sales," he said.

http://ca.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idCABRE90T08T20130130

SW is just one part of the problem, marketing and overall interest in the console itself also play big here.
I'm sure however that we will see all these addressed by investors during the roundtable Q&A session they will have with Iwata tomorrow (is it tomorrow right?)

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

trestres said:

Iwata is blaming slower software development rate (lack of titles in other words) for the sudden drop in Wii U sales:

"The sales of Wii U were smooth at the beginning but since the turn of the year they have been losing momentum," Nintendo President Satoru Iwata told reporters in Osaka after revealing the loss forecast. He blamed the lacklustre performance on a dearth of games titles to woo players back.

"Due to delays in software development, we had to postpone sales of software products we had planned to (release) early this year, which is interrupting our sales," he said.

http://ca.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idCABRE90T08T20130130

SW is just one part of the problem, marketing and overall interest in the console itself also play big here.
I'm sure however that we will see all these addressed by investors during the roundtable Q&A session they will have with Iwata tomorrow (is it tomorrow right?)

Should be tonight

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
Can someone explain to me the difference between operating loss/profit and net income? Which is more important?

Operating income/loss are the amount of money made or lost by the business itself, in this case making  and selling games, consoles as well as licensing fees. Basically all that has a direct connection to their business.

Net income takes into account other factors like foreign exchanges ratios, which in this case made each dollar to turn from 80 yen to 90 yen, hence 10 yen profit from every dollar they made. Other expenses such as interest payment from loans, buying or selling of assets such as buildings, vehicles, etc

Net income is financially, the most important one, because it decides if you are on red or black ink. However, Operating income is the most important when looking at core business, because it tells you if the company is being profitable doing what it does. If at the end of the year the company posts an operating loss but a positive net income, this will tell you that the company is depending on outside factors that are many times volatile, most importantly foreign exchange rates.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

LOL those hardware numbers fucked me up until I remembered it's SHIPPED numbers. XD

But damn. Almost half a billion in profit despite the Wii U's sharp drop off? That prompted a 20% cut in HW projections and 30% in software? Damn, 3DS, you scary!

Have some time to kill? Read my shitty games blog. http://www.pixlbit.com/blogs/586/gigantor21

:D

pezus said:
Yakuzaice said:
pezus said:
And where are the regional shipments??

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2013/130130e.pdf

Page 7

Keep in mind that is for the 9 month period.  You'll have to look at last quarter's report to find out what they did in just Q3.

Oh, Jesus save me. Does no one have that figured out yet? 

Jesus here.

DS: Japan 0.00m; Americas 1.13-1.14m; Others 0.03m.

3DS: Japan 2.94-2.95m; Americas 2.59m; Others 2.11m.

3DS XL ratio: Japan 67%; Americas 55%; Others 73%.

Wii: Japan 0.05m; Americas 1.43-1.44m; Others 0.72m.

Wii U: Japan 0.83m; Americas 1.32m; Others 0.90m.

Because of the subtraction, all figures have a possible rounding error of ±0.01m, except where a range is specified (these are precise).  Wii U has a rounding error of ±0.005m because there is no second data point.

Vinniegambini said:
Soundwave said:
Vinniegambini said:
Soundwave said:
Someone should fix the title, it's misleading and inaccurate. Nintendo posted a net income of $159 million for the quarter, not $450 million.

NINTENDO - Consolidated Results for the Nine Months Ended December 2012. Thus, Nintendo's report is from Q1 through Q3. As a result, if one only looks at Q3, Nintendo did 450 million as Q1 and Q2 totalled over 300 million losses. In all, Nintendo posted a net income of 159 million combining all three quarters.

Shouldn't net income be below $150 million then if they had losses over $300 million for Q1/Q2?

450 - 300 (+) < 159

I'm judging with current exchange rates. Tomorrow we will have the full breakdown with the investors meeting and a seperate report with Q3 only results.

At the moment its:

Q1 = (189.5 million)
Q2 = (118.4 million)
Q3 = 468 million
To date Q1-Q3 = 160 million

I will update the OP once the report is out. Nonetheless, the results should not differ by that much.

So have you decided to sell yet? or are you gonna hang on a little while longer?

gigantor21 said:

LOL those hardware numbers fucked me up until I remembered it's SHIPPED numbers. XD

But damn. Almost half a billion in profit despite the Wii U's sharp drop off? That prompted a 20% cut in HW projections and 30% in software? Damn, 3DS, you scary!

The sharp drop off mostly came after the quarter ended.  They also managed to get retailers to take a crazy amount of Wii U software which likely helped to significantly offset the losses on Wii U hardware.  With no major releases in Q4 and millions of pieces of software left on shelves after Q3, expect their SW shipments in Q4 to be dire.

ebw said:

DS: Japan 0.00m; Americas 1.13-1.14m; Others 0.03m.

So, the DS is basically dead outside of the Americas.  Looks like most of the overtracking came from Europe.  It doesn't seem that the DS will have the same kind of tail that the PS2 has had in developing markets.  The PS2 will likely retain its title.