By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - THQ bidding ends: Vigil's done, older IPs to be auctioned in a few weeks

Kresnik said:
oni-link said:

since Sony is strapped for cash (damn Vita).

I don't even know where to begin with this sentence :|

Let's be honest, Sony great decline in videogames (3rd place this gen) started when they entered the difficult handheld market.  With their current financial situation; it beffudles me that they chose to release a money losing handheld instead of staying with the still competitve (and profitable PSP).  The PS3 had just started becoming a profitable endeavor for them the last 2 years or so; and now they commit themselves to this resource hemmoraging platform.  I picked up X360 over the PS3 because I think Sony had lost focus on what's important and what they do good (consoles).  I hope they can regain that focus and comeback strong for the upcoming next gen of consoles. I hope all 3 platforms(720, PS4 and Wiii U) remain and sustain a healthy financial state; as we see it is sad when companies fail and good people lose jobs.

Around the Network
Scisca said:
noname2200 said:
Scisca said:
This is what happens to a great company that started to release casual games...

Query: What does "THQ" stand for?

So? How many lakes are there in Lakerland?

So it shows that you're theory is completely backwards.

Also, there are a thousand lakes in Lakerland.

haxxiy said:
oni-link said:

yeah anything...but Platinum Games don't really have funds.  It's gotta be one of the big 3...probably MS or even Nintendo, since Sony is strapped for cash (damn Vita).

Sony still has a cash reserve on the mid ten billions, at least twice as much as Nintendo... and really, with those prices you are pratically stealing stabilished franchises from THQ's corpse. Any mid-sized developer could afford it.... but I guess the lack of profits from Darksiders 2 and the fact they didn't have any game close to launch really weighted against Vigil. Like big time. I mean... hell, literally no one thought they were worth the risk.

I have a pdf of Nintendo's financials and they have appx $9.7 Billion dollars in reserve(begining 2012) with a market cap of ~$15B.  I don't have Sony's financial pdf but I doubt they have double that!!!  Sony's total market capitalization for all their departments only amounts to ~$13 Billion, that's less than even Nintendo whose majority income is from gaming.  Now if you were talking assests (liquid and non-liquid) than yes they have more than double that (even probably 10x) of Nintendo for sure!!!

For those of you wondering about older IPs, there will be a separate auction to sell of the "legacy" and back catalogue in a few weeks, so stay tuned.

okay Wii U owners lets hammer Nintendo in picking up these franchises.(Sony and Nintendo fans should do the same on their respective areas) Darksiders needs to get picked up!!!!

Around the Network
oni-link said:

Let's be honest, Sony great decline in videogames (3rd place this gen) started when they entered the difficult handheld market.  With their current financial situation; it beffudles me that they chose to release a money losing handheld instead of staying with the still competitve (and profitable PSP).  The PS3 had just started becoming a profitable endeavor for them the last 2 years or so; and now they commit themselves to this resource hemmoraging platform.  I picked up X360 over the PS3 because I think Sony had lost focus on what's important and what they do good (consoles).  I hope they can regain that focus and comeback strong for the upcoming next gen of consoles. I hope all 3 platforms(720, PS4 and Wiii U) remain and sustain a healthy financial state; as we see it is sad when companies fail and good people lose jobs.

I don't disagree with much of that, but that's not what I'm saying.  Haxxiy's replies pretty much sum it up.  Sony are absolutely in financial trouble, but to attribute it to Vita is just nonsensical.  It's not helping their situation, but it is far from the reason Sony is financial trouble.

And I know it gets brought up all the time, but it still stands true:  Sony Computer Entertainment spent $375 million just over 6 months ago acquiring Gaikai.  Some of these studios in the THQ sale sold for as little as $2.5 million.  Financial trouble or not, to think that Sony couldn't afford that is just silly.

I'm not sure Nintendo have $10 billion in cash reserves anymore, either.  I remember in this Kowenicki thread he posted that "Nintendo cash reserves fell from $10 billion to $5.9 billion in the 12 months to March 2012", which he took from this document.  If they've made $4 billion in the past 6 months then this information is out of date, obviously, but I was under the impression Nintendo had been losing money lately, rather than making it.  

Saint's row going to Koch Media (aka deep silver) is not bad and i'm glad take two acquired a completely new franchise, i can't wait to see it. Ubisoft certainly did benefit too, as for the other stuff i don't care too much. It's still sad that THQ are gone though :(

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

What legacy IPs do they have? The only THQ games I can think of that haven't been auctioned off are de Blob, Destroy all Humans, and Darksiders. All of their earlier games, that I can remember, were licensed.

I think Sony buying Darksiders would be a good move, but Nintendo would have been better off buying Vigil, as they really need more Western studios. Nintendo really does like their developers to be of a certain mindset though, and the fact that no one wanted the studio is telling.

It would be great if Platinum games or anybody bought Vigil, although Darksiders was buggy it was a well constructed game and my second favourite Zelda inspired game, the first being Okami which was made by Clover studio who are basically Platinum, so it would be a perfect fit. Come on let it happen.

My 3ds friendcode: 5413-0232-9676 (G-cyber)

Spazzy_D said:
What legacy IPs do they have? The only THQ games I can think of that haven't been auctioned off are de Blob, Destroy all Humans, and Darksiders. All of their earlier games, that I can remember, were licensed.

Summoner.  Goddamn, bloody, Summoner.  Still waiting for Summoner 3 to happen, fml.  (No-one will buy it, but I can be hopeful).

Red Faction, Homeworld, Juiced & as Rol mentions, Tak are some other ones.  Not too much which is interesting, really (although some small PC-focused studio buying Homeworld would be nice.  Unless it moved with Relic.  Not too sure on that one.)