By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Best conclusion to a movie trilogy?

Best conclusion to a movie trilogy?

The Dark Knight Rises 42 16.09%

Toy Story 3 53 20.31%

Harry Potter: Deathly Hallows Part 2 4 1.53%

Godfather Part 3 5 1.92%

Back to the Future: Part 3 9 3.45%

Lord of the Rings: Return of the King 97 37.16%

Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith 21 8.05%

Star Wars: Return of the Jedi 18 6.90%

Other 9 3.45%

Total:258
dsage01 said:

So what do you think?

My favourite is hands down TDKR...also in my opinion even better than TDK making it the best film of all time! In order here are my favourite conclusions to a movie trilogy.

1. The Dark Knight Rises (by far better than any film on this list despite all of them being great)

2. Lord of The Rings: Return Of The King

3. Harry Potter: Deathly Hallows Part 2

4. Toy Story 3

5. Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith

evidently you don't know what trilogy means...

Around the Network
richardhutnik said:
dsage01 said:

So what do you think?

My favourite is hands down TDKR...also in my opinion even better than TDK making it the best film of all time! In order here are my favourite conclusions to a movie trilogy.

1. The Dark Knight Rises (by far better than any film on this list despite all of them being great)

2. Lord of The Rings: Return Of The King

3. Harry Potter: Deathly Hallows Part 2

4. Toy Story 3

5. Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith

You aren't going to get universal agreement to Dark Knight Rises as best movie ever.  Because of this, it isn't.  I would actually count it the weakest of the 3 films, eventhough good. And it did make a good ending to the trilogy.  I could TDK as the best of the three flims, although its ending was weaker and it didn't quite fit in with the other two films.  It was just, for me, Heath Ledger was THAT strong of a character as the Joker.

I could Return of the King as the best ending to a trilogy of the nmovies you mentioned.  It just worked for me.

Heath Ledger's performance of the Joker is what made TDK one of the best films of all time. But really TDKR weakest of the trilogy...I mean most people would consider TDKR second to TDK only because of Heath Ledger's brilliant performance as the Joker. Funny thing is I remeber back in 2003 I tried saying that LOTR: Return of The King was better than the other two in the trilogy and almost NO ONE agreed with me. Why? Due to crazy expectations. Same thing happening with TDKR...except the expectations of TDKR was much higher than LOTR still almost everyone is calling it a great film and many the best of 2012. So 5-10 years from TDKR will be probably considered on part with TDK...that's my theory.

richardhutnik said:
Cross-X said:
The Dark Knight Rises by a large margin. Large large margin.

Followed by Spider Man 3... LOL JK Fuck that shit movie

Only wide marging connected to the Dark Knight Rises, in regards to this thread, is "of error".  You are aware of how many people think that the Dark Knight Rises is NOT the best of the three movies?  That is reaity.  As a result, there is a wide margin OF ERROR when trying to pontificate that it is the best movie, let alone best one "by a wide margin".   One can say this, without actually putting down the whole Nolan Batman trilogy, because the trilogy is excellent, and generally agreed to by a wide margin.

If one does want to argue that the Dark Knight Rises should be the best ending, what should of been is that it be broken up into two movies and the Dark Knight be dropped.  I say this realizing I find the Dark Knight the best of the three, but it first the least in the whole way the first and third movie fit together.

Anyhow, carry on.  I just wish people would realize here, how much of a fan they are of the Dark Knight Rises, a good number of people disagee with them on this point.

So where would you rank TDKR when looking at the TDK trilogy?

I'd say Return of the Jedi followed closely by Toy Story 3.

I personally don't count RotK since it's all one story broken into 3 movies, and Dark Knight Rises was certainly better than TDK turd but it was still a far cry from Batman Begins imho and was a pretty meh movie. Back to the Future has the same issue imho, was a pretty dull movie that failed to live up to the first two. I don't remember much of Godfather 3 to be honest and the rest, meh.

adriane23 said:
dsage01 said:
adriane23 said:

1. Toy Story 3 (Not gonna lie. I got a little teary-eyed)

2. The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

And that's it I think. Honorable mention to TDKR, but in my opinion, the last 40 minutes was a mess.

The last 40 min of the film was what most people considered phenomenal.

Then most people consider a shit sandwich, delicious. Or they really think it's plausible for an entire city's police force would go underground and get trapped. No one's gonna stay in the precincts to answer phones? Not one officer? No one's gonna watch the entrance to the underground area, like say to block it off to keep it secure?

Instead of executing her plan, Talia decides to try and get close enough to Batman to stab him in the gut with a knife. Why not avoid the risk of being defeated and detonate the bomb. It had already been like 5 months at that point, A few more minutes would not have really mattered.

*Edited my grammar. I hadn't slept since Friday morning when I wrote this.*

You my friend clearly did not understand this movie...or any film for that matter. It would have been the worst film ever she detonated the bomb at that point...there would have been nothing theatric making it a lousy film similar to almost all the films being nomitated as best picture (Oscars) this year. Agreed this film isn't the most realistic but it doesn't have to be...excellent movies such as TDK, Fight Club even Avengers for that matter was far from releastic...they could have done many things that wouldn't have resulted in such an extreme ending still they aren't nitpicked because they didn't have unreal expectations or massive online popularity even close to TDKR. You don't like it that's your opinion but only an idiot would try and bring realsim into comic book/fantasy films. 

Around the Network
dsage01 said:
adriane23 said:
dsage01 said:
adriane23 said:

And that's it I think. Honorable mention to TDKR, but in my opinion, the last 40 minutes was a mess.

Then most people consider a shit sandwich, delicious. Or they really think it's plausible for an entire city's police force would go underground and get trapped. No one's gonna stay in the precincts to answer phones? Not one officer? No one's gonna watch the entrance to the underground area, like say to block it off to keep it secure?

Instead of executing her plan, Talia decides to try and get close enough to Batman to stab him in the gut with a knife. Why not avoid the risk of being defeated and detonate the bomb. It had already been like 5 months at that point, A few more minutes would not have really mattered.

You my friend clearly did not understand this movie...or any film for that matter. It would have been the worst film ever she detonated the bomb at that point...there would have been nothing theatric making it a lousy film similar to almost all the films being nomitated as best picture (Oscars) this year. Agreed this film isn't the most realistic but it doesn't have to be...excellent movies such as TDK, Fight Club even Avengers for that matter was far from releastic...they could have done many things that wouldn't have resulted in such an extreme ending still they aren't nitpicked because they didn't have unreal expectations or massive online popularity even close to TDKR. You don't like it that's your opinion but only an idiot would try and bring realsim into comic book/fantasy films. 

Don't call Nolan an idiot. He did a pretty good job of bringing realism to comic book/fantasy films. (See what I did there? Naw, you probably didn't)

I understood it just fine. You clearly don't understand the point of Christopher Nolan's approach to the Batman world. Here's something that might blow your mind.....he wanted the movies to seem REALISTIC. Why would you compare TDKR to the Avengers? They were two completely different approaches to comic book heroes. Don't get mad at me because I believe the last 40 minutes of the movie was logically ridiculous, even for the theatrical world Nolan created. Dismissing my opinion isn't going to change that.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

Ending of the Dark Knight Rises does not make any sense, at least to me...

My favourite ending is Toy Story's. It was such an emotional ending, I just forgot I was watching a cartoon.

adriane23 said:
dsage01 said:
adriane23 said:
dsage01 said:
adriane23 said:

Don't call Nolan an idiot. He did a pretty good job of bringing realism to comic book/fantasy films. (See what I did there? Naw, you probably didn't)

I understood it just fine. You clearly don't understand the point of Christopher Nolan's approach to the Batman world. Here's something that might blow your mind.....he wanted the movies to seem REALISTIC. Why would you compare TDKR to the Avengers? They were two completely different approaches to comic book heroes. Don't get mad at me because I believe the last 40 minutes of the movie was logically ridiculous, even for the theatrical world Nolan created. Dismissing my opinion isn't going to change that.

LOL and I did see what you did there pretty smart I must admit...as good as Nolan's mainstream films are (TDK, TDKR, Inception) those films are far from releastic. Don't get me wrong Nolan made 2 of my favourite films of all time and in my opinion there is no director quite like him...but to say his films are relastic are far from true. Nolan always makes his films seem relastic but in reality he puts an overdose of imagination into the plot and the climax and that's what makes it intresting. If you didn't like the last 40 min of the film that's your opinion but to say that there should have been completley realistic ending to TDKR ( a comic book film!) when none of his other films had had anything close to a relastic ending (still all are fantastic endings) is just stupid. 

I'm conflicted between Toy Story 3 and Return of the King.

Also didn't Tom Hanks hint at Toy Story 4 being in the works?

1:Return Of The Jedi

2: Return of the King 

3: Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade 

4: Toy Story 3

5:  Army Of Darkness

Atto Suggests...:

Book - Malazan Book of the Fallen series 

Game - Metro Last Light

TV - Deadwood

Music - Forest Swords