By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - America thinks gun laws are a joke, and here is why

Rab said:
sc94597 said:

How does Japan have such a high suicide rate without guns then? Should we ban cliffs and skyscrapers to jump off of? 

What a hand moving that goal post? :D

The argument of that article was that more guns is a causation for more suicides, which certainly isn't true for many countries. 

Around the Network
Rab said:
timmah said:
Rab said:
timmah said:

I have a shotgun, I have a much better chance of winning and keeping my family safe.

Most gun deaths to the family are caused by the owners own gun

Source?

http://www.totalcriminaldefense.com/news/articles/criminal-evidence/gun-deaths-suicides-statistics/

What does suicide have to do with anything? It's not like those people wouldn't have killed themselves without  a gun. They would have found another way to do it.  Suicide =/= homicide.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
sc94597 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Viper1 said:
DieAppleDie said:
isnt NYC the safest city in the US thanks to strict gun control?

Of all the cities with a population above 250,000, those with the strictest gun laws are actualy those with teh worst gun related crime.

Our problem isn't guns, it's gangs and drug laws.   Take another city with little gang or drug issues an the gun related crime rates are incredibly low.

Look up gun laws in Japan. LOL...oh wait...they have no real issues with guns because they are banned with a 1/3 of the US population on an island.

Japan never had guns in the first place, so there are none in circulation. If you honestly think you can compare Japan and the U.S on a one-to-one basis you need to take a few history courses and a statistics course. 

They've had cases of shootings but took the guns away. Their gun murder rate last year was two I believe.

"During the Tokugawa period in Japan, starting in the 17th century, the government imposed very restrictive controls on the small number of gunsmiths in the nation, thereby ensuring the almost total prohibition of firearms. Japan, in the postwar period, has had gun regulation which is strict in principle. Gun licensing is required, and is heavily regulated by the National Police Agency of Japan.

The weapons law begins by stating "No-one shall possess a fire-arm or fire-arms or a sword or swords", and very few exceptions are allowed. The only types of firearms which a Japanese citizen may acquire are rifles or shotguns. Sportsmen are permitted to possess rifles or shotguns for hunting and for skeet and trap shooting, but only after submitting to a lengthy licensing procedure.[81] Without a license, a Japanese citizen may not even hold a gun in his or her hands.

The former ruling Liberal Democratic Party, in response to violent crimes by minors and gangsters, has called for rewriting the constitution to include even further stringent firearms control measures. In January 2008 Prime Minister Yasuo Fukuda in a policy speech called for tighter regulations on firearms."

Now let's compare it with the U.S, in which an American owned a cannon during the revolutionary war and they used it against the British. ENTIRELY different histories. 

DieAppleDie said:
sc94597 said:
DieAppleDie said:
sc94597 said:
DieAppleDie said:
Viper1 said:
DieAppleDie said:

Of all the cities with a population above 250,000, those with the strictest gun laws are actualy those with teh worst gun related crime.

Our problem isn't guns, it's gangs and drug laws.   Take another city with little gang or drug issues an the gun related crime rates are incredibly low.

dont you think controlling guns is far easier than controlling drugs?

Not when there are over 300 million guns in the country. 

well yeah, but remember guns are created in factories, and could be easily tracked unless weapons, drugs can be created by anyone

You can make a handgun with $5 dollars worht of material in 20 minutes. You can make an automatic rifle with less than $100. The only thing that prevents people from doing such is that there are already guns on the market. The bigger problem would be a lack of ammunition of course, but even that can be made easily. In fact, guns are easier to make than drugs because you have to grow the plants or play with the chemicals. All you need to make a gun is to put a few components together. 

lol, are going to forge the components yourself? anyway, my point is gun control maybe not be the panacea, but sure is better than zero control

no. easy enough to buy solid pipe and have it bored at a local steel shop. Was at a gun range once where a guy had a homemade cannon that shot golf balls. Was a steel plate, and a bored out solid steel pipe. Pretty easy.

thranx said:
DieAppleDie said:
sc94597 said:

You can make a handgun with $5 dollars worht of material in 20 minutes. You can make an automatic rifle with less than $100. The only thing that prevents people from doing such is that there are already guns on the market. The bigger problem would be a lack of ammunition of course, but even that can be made easily. In fact, guns are easier to make than drugs because you have to grow the plants or play with the chemicals. All you need to make a gun is to put a few components together. 

lol, are going to forge the components yourself? anyway, my point is gun control maybe not be the panacea, but sure is better than zero control

no. easy enough to buy solid pipe and have it bored at a local steel shop. Was at a gun range once where a guy had a homemade cannon that shot golf balls. Was a steel plate, and a bored out solid steel pipe. Pretty easy.

Actually, it's very easy to make your own firearm.

Heck, a guy made an AK-47 out of a shovel recently: http://thepeoplescube.com/peoples-blog/shovel-ready-ak-47-t10152.html

America has sufficient gun restrictions. The real issue is enforcement with background checks and mental health care.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network
nuckles87 said:
sc94597 said:
nuckles87 said:

1. I fail to see how CNN's audeince can be "hyper liberal" when their programming typically goes middle of the road to conservative leaning.

lol. that gave me a good laugh. at least your opening comment saved me the time of actually reading your whole post, as i knew it would be at least as ludicrous as this comment.... cnn conservative... lol. ha

that pole is obviously utter BS

badgenome said:
DieAppleDie said:

Isn't Chicago the least safe city in the US thanks to strict gun control?

I bet DC isnt any safer than Chicago thanks to strict gun laws.

Answer is simply more guns=less crime, just take a look at kenesaw in georgia

kain_kusanagi said:
Rab said:
timmah said:
Rab said:
timmah said:

I have a shotgun, I have a much better chance of winning and keeping my family safe.

Most gun deaths to the family are caused by the owners own gun

Source?

http://www.totalcriminaldefense.com/news/articles/criminal-evidence/gun-deaths-suicides-statistics/

What does suicide have to do with anything? It's not like those people wouldn't have killed themselves without  a gun. They would have found another way to do it.  Suicide =/= homicide.

You didn't read the article did you!

Quote:

"Given that 95 percent of gun-related deaths are either suicides or homicides, public health researchers have come to the reasonable conclusion that in homes where guns are kept, there is a much greater likelihood that someone in the home will be killed by a gunshot either through suicide or homicide.

Studies have also indicated that in homes where a suicide has occurred, a gun was three to five times more likely to be present in the home than in a home that did not have a suicide, even after factoring in all other risks."

AmericanAli said:
Answer is simply more guns=less crime, just take a look at kenesaw in georgia

Not true

What really reduces crime in the US is the extremely high imprisonment rate, it's higher than almost any other country including 3rd World countries (Not great for the US deficit)

The US is the most policed state in the World almost bar none, people protecting themselves from the Government my a$$

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_incarceration_rate