By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U game sales 'far behind launch levels for Gamecube and Wii'

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

Fortunately, the Wii has boosted the popularity of most Nintendo IP's since the Gamecube. Additionally, the Wii U has "Wii" in its name, thus ensuring a few bonus sales down the road (when the price is more casual friendly) simply by brand recognition. Not to mention that Nintendo barely supported this launch themselves.

This console has much more potential than the Gamecube. Remember that games like Wii Sports and Wii Fit haven't even arrived yet.

Quoted for truth.  I dunno about Wii Fit, but I think that games like Mario Kart Wii and such will take off quicker and have a more immediate impact on hardware now that a lot more people have experienced them.

Around the Network

hard to believe it would trail the wii. as i recall, a lot of people picked up the hardware and just played wii sports for a while.

People, realize that the Wii had Wii sports bundled in and TP for ze hardcore. Casuals aren't going to be attracted to this console as much, and the rest of us are still waiting on the Pikmin 3. NSMBU is all about legs, of course software sales will seem low at 1st. Mang the GC really had the advantage of SSBM releasing early.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

The Gamecube was $200, the Wii was $250 and the Wii U is $300-350. It costs a lot of money to buy the console itself and therefore there is less left over to buy games. If you had bought the GC you would have been able to also get 3 games for the same price as the Wii U.

There is also the factor that a lot of people buy Nintendo consoles as their second console AND/OR because of the first party games, hence the reason that Nintendo games have a significant advantage on the system and the launch of the Wii U had few Nintendo titles which means fewer sales.

Tease.

Above me is an excellent point

I just miss the days when systems launched with a "must buy" game.  I blame the success of Sony systems for this trend of hype, promises, and guauntity. (over quality)

Around the Network
_crazy_man_ said:
osed125 said:
nnodley said:
What about digital sales? I imagine a lot of the people who bought the wii u have bought some games on the eshop.

Hard to say how big the digital numbers are, the number 1 game digitally is NSMBU and I can see that game being a max of 100k, the rest of the games are probably way lower than that. 

Since when?

Last time I looked Trine 2: EC was #1 and NSMBU was #3.

You're right I was way off. #1 Trine 2, #2 Little Inferno and #3 NSMBU. Highly doubt the indie games have reach more than 100k (although the Trine dev was very happy with the game sales). But it's impossible to tell at the moment. 

Nintendo and PC gamer

osed125 said:
_crazy_man_ said:
osed125 said:
nnodley said:
What about digital sales? I imagine a lot of the people who bought the wii u have bought some games on the eshop.

Hard to say how big the digital numbers are, the number 1 game digitally is NSMBU and I can see that game being a max of 100k, the rest of the games are probably way lower than that. 

Since when?

You're right I was way off. #1 Trine 2, #2 Little Inferno and #3 NSMBU. Highly doubt the indie games have reach more than 100k (although the Trine dev was very happy with the game sales). But it's impossible to tell at the moment. 

So, what would you estimate the total amount of sales are digitally for all combined?  Enough to drop those percentages a little or keep them about the same..

The thing is, NintendoLand is bundled and the system is somewhat more expensive, so you can't just buy loads of games as previous consoles could. In addition, there's no "heavy-hitter" (e.g. Luigi's Mansion. Twilight Princess) in this launch. NSMBU is, but that's a game which will keep selling for years and years yet.

Hopefully E3 and Nintendo Direct can shed some light on the Software situation for the remainder of the year.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Worse than GC? Wii U is doomed.

nnodley said:
osed125 said:
_crazy_man_ said:
osed125 said:
nnodley said:

Since when?

So, what would you estimate the total amount of sales are digitally for all combined?  Enough to drop those percentages a little or keep them about the same..

I'm sure they're enough to change the percentage by some whole amount.