By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Zelda: Ocarina of Time N64 vs 3DS - WHICH IS BETTER?

Tagged games:

Which Version of Ocarina of Time is Better?

N64 Original is Better 24 26.37%

3DS Remake is Superior 62 68.13%

Masterquest Anybody? 5 5.49%

Total:91

I got into a debate with someone over which of the versions was better. I took the side of the 3DS version, for a number of reasons:
1) Improved Controls: smother joystick movement, easier to control the camera etc.
2) Improved touch menus: Easily switch between the map, items and gear with ease rather than "menu hopping"
3) Improved Graphics: Models looks drastically improved, Textures improved greatly, 3D capability which you can always turn off if you like
4) Its mobile: You can take it wherever you want to go, its all in your hands!

He however refused to agree with me, saying the original was way better, for the following reasons:

1) The N64 controller is the genuine experience for playing the game. Different controls can change the difficulty of the game
2) The graphics shouldn't be updated, and the game is best experienced with the original textures, and in its original look as that was how it was "meant" to be.
3) The game needs to be experienced on a bigger screen, and playing on the 3DS's screen does not bring the full experience to the player.

I think his reasoning is ridiculous, but what do you guys think about this? I'm fully behind calling the 3DS version of Ocarina of time the definitive version of the game. (Masterquest I could maybe argue for moreso than the original)

Guitar Hero 3/ Smash Hits
Around the Network

I like the old grafix with the 2D backgrounds more, the game was designed with the controller in mind so it worked better too......actually th only thing better on the 3DS would be the 3D and the touch menus

I'll go with the N64 only for nostalgia.

i don't care about the graphics its F*****g Zelda who gives a s**t.

I guess I understand liking the old graphics better, but to me with the improved ones it brings the old N64 world into new life, which is really nice to see!

Even though I have never played the N64 version, I would have to pick 3DS. The reasons you listed made the most sense.

Around the Network

I haven't played the 3DS version, but i don't think it will be superior IMO because what I like more about the N64 version isn't either the graphics or the gameplay, but its charm !!

I understand why you think the 3ds version is better, but Ocarina blew my mind when it came out for N64. To this day that is by far the greatest game I have played. Nostalgia usually prevents me from preferring a remake and imo the 64 controller is why it is not better.

On a side note, no FPS has been better for me than Goldeneye (original Halo is right there). I realize they are way better today overall but that leap was insane. Doom2 on PC was the original bar set for me anyway.

__XBrawlX__ said:

I got into a debate with someone over which of the versions was better. I took the side of the 3DS version, for a number of reasons:
1) Improved Controls: smother joystick movement, easier to control the camera etc.
2) Improved touch menus: Easily switch between the map, items and gear with ease rather than "menu hopping"
3) Improved Graphics: Models looks drastically improved, Textures improved greatly, 3D capability which you can always turn off if you like
4) Its mobile: You can take it wherever you want to go, its all in your hands!

He however refused to agree with me, saying the original was way better, for the following reasons:

1) The N64 controller is the genuine experience for playing the game. Different controls can change the difficulty of the game
2) The graphics shouldn't be updated, and the game is best experienced with the original textures, and in its original look as that was how it was "meant" to be.
3) The game needs to be experienced on a bigger screen, and playing on the 3DS's screen does not bring the full experience to the player.

I think his reasoning is ridiculous, but what do you guys think about this? I'm fully behind calling the 3DS version of Ocarina of time the definitive version of the game.

Obviously the 3DS version.

To counter your arguments:

1) Just because you learned to play the game with a N64 controller does'nt make it the genuine experience. Play the water temple again and tell me that on the N64 it's the ''genuine'' way to play it.

2) Just because the limitation at the time forced the game to look like crap does'nt mean that it was ''meant'' to look like crap. I'm sorry, OoT looked great at the time, but after playing it on the 3DS the N64 version looks super terrible.

3) Again, the game look so terrible that I don't see your point. Why does a terribly looking game needs to be experienced on a biger screen? Super Mario 3D Land looks way better than SM64. But does SM64 needs to be experienced on a bigger screen and SM3DL does'nt? I cant understand your logic. OoT on 3DS looks way better on a small screen than the N64 on a bigger screen. The 3D adds alot, and despite the smaller screen, you can see alot more details and alot more things going on than on N64.

Now my arguments for the 3DS.

Better graphics. more content(boss battle mode, master quest), better controls, better UI, can play the game on the bus or on a toilet. Can use the bow with the gyroaxis (I actuly loved that option, especyaly on the shooting minigames) And it have a few SS easter eggs :)

What?! I can't hear you over all this awsome! - Pyrrhon (Kid Icarus:Uprising)

Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE! - Wonder-Red (The Wonderful101)

I picked the 3DS, as the controls felt WAY better and the menu wasn't nearly as much of a hassle to use.
Also the 3DS version included Master Quest and the graphics were definitely nicer on the 3DS, while maintaining its core art design.

Metrium said:
__XBrawlX__ said:

I think his reasoning is ridiculous, but what do you guys think about this? I'm fully behind calling the 3DS version of Ocarina of time the definitive version of the game.

Obviously the 3DS version.

To counter your arguments:

1) Just because you learned to play the game with a N64 controller does'nt make it the genuine experience. Play the water temple again and tell me that on the N64 it's the ''genuine'' way to play it.

2) Just because the limitation at the time forced the game to look like crap does'nt mean that it was ''meant'' to look like crap. I'm sorry, OoT looked great at the time, but after playing it on the 3DS the N64 version looks super terrible.

3) Again, the game look so terrible that I don't see your point. Why does a terribly looking game needs to be experienced on a biger screen? Super Mario 3D Land looks way better than SM64. But does SM64 needs to be experienced on a bigger screen and SM3DL does'nt? I cant understand your logic. OoT on 3DS looks way better on a small screen than the N64 on a bigger screen. The 3D adds alot, and despite the smaller screen, you can alot more details and alot more things going on than on N64.

Now my arguments for the 3DS.

Better graphics. more content(boss battle mode, master quest), better controls, better UI, can play the game on the bus or on a toilet. Can use the bow with the gyroaxis (I actuly loved that option, especyaly on the shooting minigames) And it have a few SS easter eggs :)

For the record he was the one arguing for the N64 version :P Just to clear that up, I share your view XP