By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - When will Nintendo's Wii U get a price cut?

Soundwave said:
Max King of the Wild said:
Other than the 3ds which system did Nintendo quickly drop the price for? I honestly don't think they tend to do that.

SNES, N64, GameCube, and DS all got price cuts within the first year from North American launch as I recall. 

GameCube was down to $99.99 within about 2 years I believe. 

Though none quite as quickly as the 3DS or as dramatically ($80 drop).

didn't the ps2 get a price cut down to $200 from $300 in it's 1st year?

Around the Network

will Nintendo really do what they did with the 3DS this time?
I honestly don't think so but what they will do though is show us some games that will make people buy it

cant wait for Aliens CM and Rayman Legends!

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

N64 dropped from $199.99 to $149.99 at the end of March 1997:

http://ca.ign.com/articles/1997/03/18/n64-price-drop-points-to-future

GameCube dropped to $149.99 from $199.99 by May 2002, and then to $99.99 in September 2003.

And Iwata has said that Nintendo did not act quickly enough to drop the GameCube price. 

I'd expect a Wii U price cut to be coming some time between April-June 2013 unless there is a dramatic upswing in sales. 

enditall727 said:
Soundwave said:
Max King of the Wild said:
Other than the 3ds which system did Nintendo quickly drop the price for? I honestly don't think they tend to do that.

SNES, N64, GameCube, and DS all got price cuts within the first year from North American launch as I recall. 

GameCube was down to $99.99 within about 2 years I believe. 

Though none quite as quickly as the 3DS or as dramatically ($80 drop).

didn't the ps2 get a price cut down to $200 from $300 in it's 1st year?

No, seems like it got its first price cut (which was indeed $100) in the US in May 2002, which would be over 1 1/2 years from launch (Oct 2000). 

460k is not bad for a new console that had some shortage problems.
If anything Nintendo will drop the basic wii u . But it has sold over 2 millon.
It dont need a price drop

VITA 32 GIG CARD.250 GIG SLIM & 160 GIG PHAT PS3

Around the Network

0 chance until sep 2013, but may get bundles.

coolguy said:
460k is not bad for a new console that had some shortage problems.
If anything Nintendo will drop the basic wii u . But it has sold over 2 millon.
It dont need a price drop

Eh, I think shortage problems are a minor issue.  There are undoubtedly some people who tried to buy a Wii U on Black Friday and couldn't find one, and then said **** it I'll buy an X-Box, but anyone who put their mind to it could have gotten a console by Christmas.

It doesn't need a pricedrop yet.  What it needs is proof that the concept is a good one.  I could definitely see the right software inspiring a whole family to gather around the living room TV with a Wii U gamepad, but that experience isn't there yet.  Wii Fit U will be a start, but hopefully Nintendo has a true killer app to be debuted at E3.

I think some of the "it doesn't need a price drop" crowd will be awfully quiet when Jan-March NPDs come in, because I don't think they'll be pretty.

I think the December sales were actually that high because most of the hardcore Nintendo fans got theirs, now they are going to really have some trouble IMO, just like the 3DS launch.

Bold prediction:

$269.99 Black Wii U w/Nintendo Land ($80 reduction)

$299.99 White Wii U w/Wii Fit U (pre-installed) + Balance Board (Fitness Bundle)

Both come with 32GB storage. Then a NSMBU bundle for holidays 2013. 

Basic 8GB package gone.

Nintendo has to have casuals bite on this or they are toast because they didn't spec the machine high enough to get the attention of third parties, which means no way to non-Nintendo fan core gamers.

pezus said:

Don't you remember the Vita launch (and pretty much every month since then)? This is what happens to every console that doesn't meet expectations. It's only fair.

Can't aruge with that statement.

Personally I am more concerned on what will happen with gaming in general. I dont know why but I just got a bad feeling that all three wil be down in overall sales next gen compared to this one. I hope I am wrong.

It's funny that people are automatically putting doom threads so early in Wii U's life cycle. Come E3 when Nintendo announces all of these great games, boom a surge in sales. Their won't be a price drop until Winter 2014. 

Another thing... Iwata says he is good with the Wii U sales.  Obviously, he isn't worried, which could mean Nintendo has some things up their sleeves.  I can't wait to E3 for the big 3.  Get ya popcorn ready!