By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - When will Nintendo's Wii U get a price cut?

Busted said:
mid 2014, you heard it here first.

After Nextbox and PS4 are already on the market? No chance in hell in my opinion that they'll wait that long, especially if one or both of the other consoles are not too much more expensive (within 50 or 100$ of Wii U Deluxe). 

XBL Gamertag: ckmlb, PSN ID: ckmlb

Around the Network
concity06 said:
It's funny that people are automatically putting doom threads so early in Wii U's life cycle. Come E3 when Nintendo announces all of these great games, boom a surge in sales. Their won't be a price drop until Winter 2014,

I think this is one of the biggest falsehoods in gaming sales logic, I've never seen a company get a real sales bounce from having a good E3. 

I'm sure Nintendo will have the usual suspects at E3, new 3D Mario, Mario Kart, maybe a Smash Bros. teaser. 

New Super Mario Bros. is pretty high on the Nintendo franchise ladder, I'd say maybe only Mario Kart is the bigger franchise that Nintendo has.

Roma said:
will Nintendo really do what they did with the 3DS this time?
I honestly don't think so but what they will do though is show us some games that will make people buy it

cant wait for Aliens CM and Rayman Legends!

I predict Aliens CM to sell better on the 360 and PS3 than on the Wii U and I don't think either of those games will be big system sellers.

Soundwave said:
concity06 said:
It's funny that people are automatically putting doom threads so early in Wii U's life cycle. Come E3 when Nintendo announces all of these great games, boom a surge in sales. Their won't be a price drop until Winter 2014,

I think this is one of the biggest falsehoods in gaming sales logic, I've never seen a company get a real sales bounce from having a good E3. 

I'm sure Nintendo will have the usual suspects at E3, new 3D Mario, Mario Kart, maybe a Smash Bros. teaser. 

New Super Mario Bros. is pretty high on the Nintendo franchise ladder, I'd say maybe only Mario Kart is the bigger franchise that Nintendo has.

How about Fatal Frame, Metroid HD, Xenoblade, Monolith's IP, rumors of another big exclusive being grabbed by Nintendo, Bayonetta 2(Not for me for personally, but people want it).  Don't sleep on Nintendo!

Vinniegambini said:

Nicely put Pezus, I think you bring forth a good question. Nintendo simply cannot afford a price for the Wii U. It's already not selling the hardware at profit and what will that show to it's early adopters and Nintendo fans? I fear it would only hurt its reputation. Especially twice in a row. Furthermore, the sales are not bad per se and the numbers below prove that:

Xbox 360 US Launch (Nov+Dec): 607k
PS3 US Launch (Nov+Dec): 687k
Wii U US Launch (Nov+Dec): 890k

They could be better true. I'm expecting a Nintendo direct soon.

Is this taking into consideration that the PS3 did not launch in Europe till March (I think) of 2007?

Around the Network
concity06 said:
Soundwave said:
concity06 said:

How about Fatal Frame, Metroid HD, Xenoblade, Monolith's IP, rumors of another big exclusive being grabbed by Nintendo, Bayonetta 2.  Don't sleep on Nintendo!

Fatal Frame sales on Wii were dreadful, Metroid Prime 3 never reached 1.75 million worldwide, Metroid Other M never reached 1.25 million worldwide, Xenoblade is not a million seller, Bayonetta never reached 2 million across two systems with stronger 3rd party sales than Wii (PS3 and Xbox 360) and I predict Bayonetta 2 will sell worse than the first one because it's a Wii U exclusive and is releasing very early in the lifetime of the console. On the other hand NSMB Wii has sold over 26 million (more than all the previously mentioned games 5 times over).

Can't speak about the rumored exclusive. 

Ckmlb1 said:
Vinniegambini said:

Nicely put Pezus, I think you bring forth a good question. Nintendo simply cannot afford a price for the Wii U. It's already not selling the hardware at profit and what will that show to it's early adopters and Nintendo fans? I fear it would only hurt its reputation. Especially twice in a row. Furthermore, the sales are not bad per se and the numbers below prove that:

Xbox 360 US Launch (Nov+Dec): 607k
PS3 US Launch (Nov+Dec): 687k
Wii U US Launch (Nov+Dec): 890k

They could be better true. I'm expecting a Nintendo direct soon.

Is this taking into consideration that the PS3 did not launch in Europe till March (I think) of 2007?

The NPD only track US sales. So this is US sales only :)

July/August 2013

Ckmlb1 said:
concity06 said:
Soundwave said:
concity06 said:

How about Fatal Frame, Metroid HD, Xenoblade, Monolith's IP, rumors of another big exclusive being grabbed by Nintendo, Bayonetta 2.  Don't sleep on Nintendo!

Fatal Frame sales on Wii were dreadful, Metroid Prime 3 never reached 1.75 million worldwide, Metroid Other M never reached 1.25 million worldwide, Xenoblade is not a million seller, Bayonetta never reached 2 million across two systems with stronger 3rd party sales than Wii (PS3 and Xbox 360) and I predict Bayonetta 2 will sell worse than the first one because it's a Wii U exclusive and is releasing very early in the lifetime of the console. On the other hand NSMB Wii has sold over 26 million (more than all the previously mentioned games 5 times over).

Can't speak about the rumored exclusive. 

The Wii & Wii U are two different systems.  Things change every generation so don't assume the same results.  Plus, Xenoblade came out pretty much after the Wii was dead.  Fatal Frame on the Wii wasn't even released in the USA.  I can't wait to buy the next one that comes to the USA.

Price isn't the problem with the WiiU currently. It's the lack of games.