By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - 1/4 of American kids on food stamps! USA a-ok?

Should we have tighter restrictions on what poor can buy?

yes 34 41.46%

no 29 35.37%

I am rich and they paid f... 19 23.17%

Total:82
spurgeonryan said:

Should we be worried about the economy or Happy that 1/4 of Americas kids are fat?

Are they really? How do kids get fat? I'm not American, but I don't remember the last time I saw a fat kid.

Around the Network

It's not surprising when you consider 1 out of every 6 people is on food stamps. It's only natural for kids to be more likely to be on that list since they contribute nothing.

Im from a country without foodstamps.. So how does this work? The goverment sends coupons worth money to the poor and the only thing you can do with it is to buy food? Are there special supermarkets? Or can you trade them in into any food place?

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

You have no idea how much it pisses me off to be working, and then someone strolls up with a half a cart full of candy and uses food stamps. Buying a bag here and there is fine, but $30 of candy? ffs.

There needs to be more regulations. It's so much easier to sit on your ass and collect then it is to get out there and do something yourself. The people who need these programs should be on it, not the lazy.

NiKKoM said:
Im from a country without foodstamps.. So how does this work? The goverment sends coupons worth money to the poor and the only thing you can do with it is to buy food? Are there special supermarkets? Or can you trade them in into any food place?

its on a credit card looking think. It replenishes every month and you use it just like a credit card. You can use it in almost every place that sells food. Also, I believe you can use it at McDonalds now.... you can by anything you want that is considered food... this includes soda, chips, chocolate, gummy bears, ect ect

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
It's not surprising when you consider 1 out of every 6 people is on food stamps. It's only natural for kids to be more likely to be on that list since they contribute nothing.

Harsh, man. You seen Children of Men? You know what the world would be like without kids?

Wagram said:
You have no idea how much it pisses me off to be working, and then someone strolls up with a half a cart full of candy and uses food stamps. Buying a bag here and there is fine, but $30 of candy? ffs.

There needs to be more regulations. It's so much easier to sit on your ass and collect then it is to get out there and do something yourself. The people who need these programs should be on it, not the lazy.

Ive seen that happen... then they get in an escalade and drive off... And I get denied everytime i apply because Im a student and don't work 20hours a week (considering i am in school M-F from 8am-7pm this is near impossible)... but if i quit school I'd get them!

Max King of the Wild said:
Wagram said:

Ive seen that happen... then they get in an escalade and drive off... And I get denied everytime i apply because Im a student and don't work 20hours a week (considering i am in school M-F from 8am-7pm this is near impossible)... but if i quit school I'd get them!

Yup. My mother is a working woman who makes roughly $280 net a week. She can't afford health insurance, and barely gets enough food ($60 for 4 people a week) to keep her family up. Stroll into my fathers house who doesn't work not because he's disabled, but because he's just a lazy bum. Full insurance for everyone, cubards stacked sky high with food (over $700 a month for 4 people). What's the point?

BasilZero said:
Wagram said:

Sounds like someone's gonna be on Metformin and Glipizide in the future ;x.

t's okay, when you apply for food stamps you can ask for health insurance which the government will pay for prescribtions

I don't know what it's like there, but healthy food generally costs quite a bit more than eating junk food. However, making healthy food yourself is a viable, cost-effective option.

What saddens me is so many just take the lazy, cheap junk food option, where one contributes to the other (ie. Junk food can be known to promote lethargy, which in turn encourages the purchase of more quick-to-make junk food the next time).

The only way I can see out of it is to regulate food stamps for healthy food only. However, there will always be circumvention somewhere. It's nearly impossible to keep an eye on.