By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Any predictions on Microsoft's quarterly results being released tomorrow?

It's pretty much a given that the Entertainment and Devices Division will be reporting a profit and of course that will be dwarfed by Nintendo's profit but does anyone want to take a guess at how much their profit will be?  I'm hoping it's at least in the $100-$125 million dollar range.

Around the Network

a profit, but how much i don't know, just a guess : 175 million

I think MS will post a $200M profit. I think the new Falcon, plus huge software sales of Mass Effect and Halo 3 are going to have them smiling.

- $1b hole in the game division, $200m profit overall.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

ssj12 said:
- $1b hole in the game division, $200m profit overall.

Do you even know how quarterly reports work?  They aren't posting a 1 billion loss in their gaming division for one quarter and their "overall" profit for the whole company will be more than 200 million.  For the game division however, it will probably be some kind of profit like last quarter.  

Completed XBLA: 16 / 32
Completed Retail: 17 / 64
GS Completion %: 82.63%

Around the Network

I guess it will be less than last quarter.

Hardcore gaming is a bubble economy blown up by Microsoft's $7 $6 billion losses.

What was their profit last quarter? $150 million or so?

I'll go for $200 million this quarter. Last quarter only had one week of Halo 3 and they're probably profiting on each console sold at this point, and they sold quite a few consoles this quarter.

Really, that's pretty impressive considering that it's highly unlikely any other segment of the H&E division is making money (like the Zune). 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Hmm. yeah I'll say double last quarter, it was Christmas after all.

This [Oct-Dec] is Q2 for MS right?

rocketpig said:

What was their profit last quarter? $150 million or so?

I'll go for $200 million this quarter. Last quarter only had one week of Halo 3 and they're probably profiting on each console sold at this point, and they sold quite a few consoles this quarter.

Really, that's pretty impressive considering that it's highly unlikely any other segment of the H&E division is making money (like the Zune).

Actually, the Zune has been sold out at several places, and not just in my neck of the woods. I know a guy told me he had to go to 3 stores before finding a 30gb Zune. Dunno if M$ did it to create demand, but even online Zunes were hard to find around the holidays. 

Whatever their profit is, it will be a paper-only profit. That is, their expenses will exceed their revenue, but they will hide that fact with money set aside and charged to their previous fiscal year.