By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time Price Drop - $39.99 Day 1 Price - "Makes it a No-Brainer Purchase"

Kresnik said:
Munkeh111 said:

But it is not like Sly was ever a very large franchise, none have ever sold more 2m and the collection only managed 500k (which is admittedly better than Jak.

That's not a very apt comparison :P

Sly has sold 480k in 2-and-a-bit years, Jak sold 450k in less than a year.  Sorry, just thought it needed pointing out.

Otherwise, I agree with your post.  Sly has never been a big franchise, this game won't change that.

Jak as a franchise wasn't huge either, the most any game sold was 3 and a bit million, but the last game sold under 2m...

So Jak is bigger, but I wasn't really sure what else to compare it to, GoW was larger, as it was the first and well timed in the lead up to III (if I recall correctly) and Ratchet HD hasn't been out for long at all

Around the Network
Munkeh111 said:

Jak as a franchise wasn't huge either, the most any game sold was 3 and a bit million, but the last game sold under 2m...

So Jak is bigger, but I wasn't really sure what else to compare it to, GoW was larger, as it was the first and well timed in the lead up to III (if I recall correctly) and Ratchet HD hasn't been out for long at all

Yeah, there's not really a good comparison to be made in all honesty.  As you say, GoW came out around the same time but is a much larger franchise and was timed well as a release.  Jak & Ratchet are both bigger and I expect both of the HD Collections to pass Sly at some point.

If the new Sly game gets anywhere close to Sly 2's numbers, then it'll have done very well.

Kresnik said:
Munkeh111 said:

Yeah, there's not really a good comparison to be made in all honesty.  As you say, GoW came out around the same time but is a much larger franchise and was timed well as a release.  Jak & Ratchet are both bigger and I expect both of the HD Collections to pass Sly at some point.

If the new Sly game gets anywhere close to Sly 2's numbers, then it'll have done very well.

I suppose, though games are more expensive to make and Sony is looking for more big franchises, but if I were them, I wouldn't expect too high sales...

More buyers! YAY!

platformmaster918 said:
teigaga said:

This is great, more developers need to adopt responsive pricing. A lot of these titles without the mind blowing visuals, mass market appeal and huge marketing budgets should be priced appropriately to find themselfs an audience. I'm not worried about this games quality one inch. I was largely on the fence and was probably just going to skip the game, but now its $29 on the Vita I'll be downloading it day one (provided the UK pricing is similar). I enjoy a light paced platformer but unless its 3D mario or something unique/very impressive looking, theres no chance I'll pay full price for one.

I was just going to wait till it went down to $30 but now I might just buy if there's any pre-order bonus

Preorder bonus: Murray diving suit, Sly Cooper sanzaru paraglide and a Cooper Logo Paraglide :)

Around the Network
aimancooper said:
platformmaster918 said:
teigaga said:

This is great, more developers need to adopt responsive pricing. A lot of these titles without the mind blowing visuals, mass market appeal and huge marketing budgets should be priced appropriately to find themselfs an audience. I'm not worried about this games quality one inch. I was largely on the fence and was probably just going to skip the game, but now its $29 on the Vita I'll be downloading it day one (provided the UK pricing is similar). I enjoy a light paced platformer but unless its 3D mario or something unique/very impressive looking, theres no chance I'll pay full price for one.

I was just going to wait till it went down to $30 but now I might just buy if there's any pre-order bonus

Preorder bonus: Murray diving suit, Sly Cooper sanzaru paraglide and a Cooper Logo Paraglide :)

meh.  I like exclusive missions or weapons.  Any word on if diving suit makes a difference in gameplay?  I would totally buy this, Beyond, Puppeteer, LoU, GoW, Tomb Raider, Biochock, and GTA5 at launch but I really don't have the money so I'm picking 1-2 at the most to pay full price for.  LoU has a multiplayer one pre-order bonus so that's out of the running as I never do MP.  I've really gotta be selective so if none of them have something that's going to enrich my SP experience then I can't buy them.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

This means I may buy it at launch then :)

Where do I have to preorder this game to get the additional content?

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

sergiodaly said:
i don't get people... always complaining games are expensive... when the price drop for a game from a great dev and a great franchise, people still complain. LOL
its the decline part of this generation, publishers and dev team want to sell loads of copies, i say smart move...

But it is not a great game and a great dev and that is why they dropped the price

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/sly-cooper-thieves-in-time

It is now around 75 on metacritic.

They know people don't want to buy it full price because the game is not that great so they cut the price.

I forgot about this. Opening sales will be more disappointing depending on what the numbers are.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.