By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Investors Thread

Thanks for the replies guys! I'll start investigating about it, thanks for the tips. I also had invested money in the bank but there's very little profit you get in return (in Mexico at least). So I hope this is a better option =)

Castlevania Judgment FC:     1161 - 3389 - 1512

3DS Friend Code:   3480-2746-6289

Wii Friend Code: 4268-9719-1932-3069

Around the Network

Damn, just saw the Jan 5 Wii U number posted here on vgchartz...134k. Lower than Nintendo needed to hit projections.

I thought if they did 170k / week on average which seemed reasonable through March they'd hit 5mill at retail, and come close to the 5.5m shipped.

But yeah, 134k the week after Christmas isn't a good sign or showing. Looks like Ninty will for sure miss the 5.5 m goal. If they avg. 134k from now until March that puts the U at 4,460,000 retail, and probably just shy of 5m shipped. But now even that looks optimistic.

Don't see any catalyst to boost U sales before then.

495k 3DS last week is actually pretty solid. Ninty now stands at 11.5m on their 17.5 projection for 3DS units. As with the U I'd say they need to sell about 16.5 at retail to report 17.5 shipped. That's only an average of 357.1k/week to hit 3DS hardware.

So this week's numbers have made me more pessimistic on Wii U projections, but more optimistic on 3DS.

As for the software projections for them...still pessimistic on 24m & 70m respectively.

WiiU needs about 155k from here on out to hit targets. 134k is about 86% which isn't a big deal. I'll be concerned if it dips down more. The next few weeks will be interesting for sure. Can't wait for the financial statements!

Right when I get some optimism around Nintendo's stock, I get knocked back down.

First the U limps into January with a 134k number.

Now I find out VGchartz adjusted down from 2.45m to 2.25 as of end Dec.

The total's at 2.38m now. With 14 weeks, just to hit 5m we need 187k/wk.

Not going to happen. Based on the above, I have to say Wii U will come in at 5m max...500k or more shy of goal.

When Nintendo announces a revision down on Wii U, I highly doubt investors will care about Q3 profits, which are expected.

OceanJ said:

Right when I get some optimism around Nintendo's stock, I get knocked back down.

Not going to happen. Based on the above, I have to say Wii U will come in at 5m max...500k or more shy of goal.

When Nintendo announces a revision down on Wii U, I highly doubt investors will care about Q3 profits, which are expected.

Again, it's shipped to retailers that count. Nintendo most likely shipped over 2.75 million units to retailers in Q3. In comparison, Wii did 3.08, that's very healthy. Q4 should be between 1.25-1.75, but you are right, they won't hit their target. Nonetheless, if profitability is ensured, trust me investors will be more than happy. Nonetheless, before earnings the stock should go up as investors seem optimistic as shown by the 5% jump today.

Around the Network
TheLastStarFighter said:
WiiU needs about 155k from here on out to hit targets. 134k is about 86% which isn't a big deal. I'll be concerned if it dips down more. The next few weeks will be interesting for sure. Can't wait for the financial statements!

It will dip lower for sure. 

Sales are still inflated in Japan because the week after Christmas is still a huge shopping/gift buying week in Japan. In layman's terms the "holiday season" in Japan goes through the first week of the New Year. So those Japanese sales are 30-40k higher than what they would be in a normal week. 3DS, PS3, PSP, Vita Japanese sales are all much higher than week than they would be in a normal Jan/Feb week. 

Second half of January and Feburary will be grim. 

134k will start to look pretty darn good in a couple of weeks, lol. 

Vinniegambini said:
OceanJ said:

Again, it's shipped to retailers that count. Nintendo most likely shipped over 2.75 million units to retailers in Q3. In comparison, Wii did 3.08, that's very healthy. Q4 should be between 1.25-1.75, but you are right, they won't hit their target. Nonetheless, if profitability is ensured, trust me investors will be more than happy. Nonetheless, before earnings the stock should go up as investors seem optimistic as shown by the 5% jump today.

I wonder if Nintendo can pull a shipping trick, where they get retailers to buy U's in advance in exchange for something, to hit 5.5.

That way Nintendo can spin the crap out of it, can claim victory, and use it to generate a huge amount of buzz alongside major game announcements.

Shareholders would be very happy about that.

OceanJ said:
Vinniegambini said:
OceanJ said:

I wonder if Nintendo can pull a shipping trick, where they get retailers to buy U's in advance in exchange for something, to hit 5.5.

That way Nintendo can spin the crap out of it, can claim victory, and use it to generate a huge amount of buzz alongside major game announcements.

Pissing off your retail partners by loading them up with unsold inventory isn't a great way to go about things. Especially with a new product. 

You can't run from a demand constraint forever. 

Just to mix this thread up a bit and not be single-mindedly focused on numbers, here's a general question.

What do you think the single biggest announcement Nintendo could make, tomorrow, that would cause demand for the Wii U to skyrocket?

A price drop?
Zelda 2013 release date?
Anything?

Or is there no such thing as a single announcement that could do so.

Soundwave said:
OceanJ said:
Vinniegambini said:
OceanJ said:

Pissing off your retail partners by loading them up with unsold inventory isn't a great way to go about things. Especially with a new product. 

You can't run from a demand constraint forever. 

Yeah I was just dreaming.