By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Shadow of the Colossus movie gets Hanna writer

Tagged games:

Are you excited for this?

Yes 9 64.29%

No 5 35.71%

Total:14

Hmmmm I just really don't like movies made of games....They ruin the game for me when I go back and try to play them.

Around the Network
Wander_ said:
CChaos said:
Wander_ said:
No no no no change the character? really? die hard fans like me would never watch it, a new path WTF!! they better name it something other than shadow of the colossus.

I guarantee they'd watch it anyways.

Transformers fans watched those films, despite knowing that Bay crapped all over the comics and shows. If there is a fan base, they will come, simply because it's something to do with a thing they very much like. They hope it will be good, others will be sure it's terrible, but they'll come anyways. This is generally why, even with the complaints of the fans, they do whatever they want with the conversion (sometimes utterly destroying the original thing's ideas and concepts) and then release it.

Good or bad, the fans will still go. They always do.

You insulted my intelligence without even knowing it LOL. Anyway you're right i'll watch the movie and buy the DVD&Blu-ray to add them in my shadow of the colossus collection ive got the japanese,european and american version of the game same with the ps3 HD collection:)

...I guess that was kind of passively insulting, wasn't it? Whoops! Obviously, not the intent. heh

Fans love what they love and they'll roll with it, even if it ends up being terrible. Hopefully it's good though.

BasilZero said:
Wander_ said:

You insulted my intelligence without even knowing it LOL. Anyway you're right i'll watch the movie and buy the DVD&Blu-ray to add them in my shadow of the colossus collection ive got the japanese,european and american version of the game same with the ps3 HD collection:)

Just be grateful that it isnt being developed/created by a small unknown studio like Crystal Sky Pictures (Tekken) or some other horrible anime/video game adaptation like Dragon Ball...

It has a chance of not messing up although you know games -> movies transition never works usually.

Hopefully.

the movie could be interesting, but it won't follow the line of the game well enough for any fans of the game to want to see it.

BasilZero said:
Kantor said:
I've never seen Hanna, so I can't judge based on that.

This movie on the other hand... no, I'm not excited for it. It's not because I dislike SoTC. Shadow of the Colossus is quite literally my favourite game of all time (#1 on my top 50). But it is a game. The attraction was very much in the gameplay, the immersion, the atmosphere. Take away the game aspect and it's a movie about a guy who rides around in silence for ten minutes then jumps on a monster and stabs it to death. Sixteen times.

I guess it could work, but I am 90% sure that it will not.

Pretty sure they'll change up the storyline and the main character's personality. Spiderman is different in the movies from what people expected him to be from the comics. (both the original and the amazing spiderman). <- Even if it is some minor changes. I mean what is the most they can do with the main character in SotC that some people will find awkward - add a voice? XD

My only concern is that I hope they just dont take off in a whole new path where it just goes away from the story or the basis of the game....kinda like what happened with the Resident Evil movies.....l0l.

How do you equate adapting Spiderman with SoTC? Spiderman is a comic book series which is virtually a pre-made story board for a movie. The fact the movie changed things doesn't alter the fact that they started with almost the ideal source material. It has important stuff like...you know... dialogue already written. Not to mention a plot with sufficient substance to carry a 90min - 2hr movie. SoTC is almost the opposite of ideal source material for adaptation, as such it would have to be subject to considerable alteration as to not resemble the game in the slightest. 

Better to take the idea of SoTC and make a movie called something other than SoTC.

My prediction would be that this movie will not be the one to break VG adaptations out of the realms of mediocrity.

My pick for a mediocrity busting adaptation would be if you took God of War Chains of Olympus, GoW I and Ghost of Sparta and mashed them all into one movie. With GoW II and III as the potential sequel. I'm assuming Ascension is somewhere before GoW I in chronology so that could be folded into the first movie. There you have plenty of source material (plot, dialogue, theme, setting) to work with.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network

Hanna was a solid film with some great action bits and acting, so that's a plus for this.

I just think SotC is so distinctly video game that they will either make a poor film or have to adjust so much that much of the game will be lost.

If they follow three act structure be three Colossi. First one to introduce, second to be test and third one to bring closure. This could be done in about two hours, but pacing will be key in setting the mood and giving weight to the characters actions.

I would say I expect the worst and hope for the best.

BasilZero said:
binary solo said:

How do you equate adapting Spiderman with SoTC? Spiderman is a comic book series which is virtually a pre-made story board for a movie. The fact the movie changed things doesn't alter the fact that they started with almost the ideal source material. It has important stuff like...you know... dialogue already written. Not to mention a plot with sufficient substance to carry a 90min - 2hr movie. SoTC is almost the opposite of ideal source material for adaptation, as such it would have to be subject to considerable alteration as to not resemble the game in the slightest. 

Better to take the idea of SoTC and make a movie called something other than SoTC.

My prediction would be that this movie will not be the one to break VG adaptations out of the realms of mediocrity.

My pick for a mediocrity busting adaptation would be if you took God of War Chains of Olympus, GoW I and Ghost of Sparta and mashed them all into one movie. With GoW II and III as the potential sequel. I'm assuming Ascension is somewhere before GoW I in chronology so that could be folded into the first movie. There you have plenty of source material (plot, dialogue, theme, setting) to work with.

I'm talking about minor additions and changes to the storyline or the basis of it. Pretty sure they've had changes in the movies (even minor ones) compared to the comic books/cartoon/each movie. The same thing can be said about the movie for SotC, if it was gonna be exactly the same mute character...it would be boring yes ;o?

I dont think even God of War could save the transition between games to movies. They just dont go well together and usually come out more as B-rated movies.

That is unless the movie is animated in CG.

Also isnt God of War Acension a sequel that involves time traveling o.O?

Exactly the point. The necessitiy of making up an entire movie's worth of dialogue for the main character ends up requiring a massive change and departure from the game. For one thing he's got to have people to talk to, which means introducing a new characters who do not exist, and / or having him chat with the Colossi before killing them. Tweaking a bit of Spiderman dialogue and plot is very minor and virtually inconsequential, and is actually a choice on the part of the screenwriter, not a necessity.

I think movies like John Carter and Clash of the Titans (albeit they were not very good movies) show that CGI+live action works very well. A GoW adaptation suffers from the sort of problem Dredd 3D suffered: make it with the right level of violence and it will be R rated and hence get a very low audience even if it is well received by the critics. Or make it with M level violence for a wider potential audience but suffer qualitatively and hence not get many people going to the movie anyway. So then it comes down to making the movie with the R rated violence on a tight budget which then will give it a cheap look and again poor audience. With a cheap CGI look you might as well simply watch all the game cutscenes (plus Linda Hunt narration) off the discs as a movie experience. So while I think there is the potential for a critically well received live action GoW adaptation I don't think there's any adaptation that can be made that would make a profit, so I don't see any adaptation of GoW actually happening even though there's one aparently in the works.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

I wonder how there going to film the 16 big fights, it's quite a bit for a movie, I can see them bringing that number down. There really isn't much to the story either, or dialog it would just be Wander and Agro (his horse) most of the movie. To pull this off as a good movie will take a lot of effort, I cross my fingers for this movie because the game was so amazing.

It would be cool if they made it in the style of The dark crystal.
Hopefully it won't be another mediocre cgi fest like Clash of the titans.