By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - $8bn - the total losses made by Xbox 360 and PS3

Seems like Ninty did know what they were doing afterall. Xbox360 is doing great now due to Kinect, but if the PS2 hadn't made them a shitton of money I don't think Sony would have been able to recover from the early losses with the PS3.

Around the Network
Barozi said:
So is that simply all "Game" or "Entertainment" division losses added together ?

Looks like entertainment division figures to me so he's miles out guessing losses.  Just another analyst writing a article for hits in a quiet January period.

Wander_ said:
Chris Hu said:
Wander_ said:

if there's no consoles i will retire

Even if consoles eventually die, which I can't see in the near future there alway will be emulators.

LOL you want me to play with a mouse & keyboard ? yeah wait for me

Dude, just buy a gamepad :D

The numbers are complete nonsense. Since they don't have breakdowns of the cost of R&D for 360 and PS3 they instead used the divisions numbers for the 2 years preceding the launch as the cost of R&D. So the PS3 made a profit from its R&D (actually the profit being made by PS2 and PSP) while 360 lost ~2.5billion dollars.

That in itself is ridiculous but they are not even consistant with their logic since they then put 100% of all R&D of the 720/PS4 towards the 360/PS3 as well since they count the two years proceding those consoles completely toward sthe 360/PS3. That's in addition to any other losses the divisions may be having (eg. 100% of Zune losses they consider to be 360 losses).

TheLastStarFighter said:
Comments like this about the death of games consoles annoy me, because it over looks the fact that people like games consoles. They don't want to play on a tablet or PC. They like playing on their TV, they like a controller.

XBox and PS3 were over-spec'd for various reasons. It was a bad decision by both companies...but neither has games as their main focus. If they were true games companies they would have followed the Nintendo pattern of making systems as they would have needed to actually make money. I'm just glad Nintendo was able to stick around, unlike Sega.

Xbox & playstation doesnt focus on games because they rely on 3rd party games Nintendo doesn't.

Around the Network
KHlover said:

Seems like Ninty did know what they were doing afterall. Xbox360 is doing great now due to Kinect, but if the PS2 hadn't made them a shitton of money I don't think Sony would have been able to recover from the early losses with the PS3.

PS2 outsold the xbox360 and ps3 the first 2 years and with the help of the PSP they probably didn't lose any money selling the ps3 at a loss.

Wander_ said:
Chris Hu said:
Wander_ said:

if there's no consoles i will retire

Even if consoles eventually die, which I can't see in the near future there alway will be emulators.

LOL you want me to play with a mouse & keyboard ? yeah wait for me

It might not be quiet the same but pretty much all emulators support controllers since pretty much most console games are meant to be played with a cotroller.

what the hell are we going to do then if they all disappear on here,be just PC for me then

Above & Beyond

Wander_ said:
KHlover said:

PS2 outsold the xbox360 and ps3 the first 2 years and with the help of the PSP they probably didn't lose any money selling the ps3 at a loss.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-10448137-17.html

Sony lost money with every sold PS3 until 2010! I don't think PSP and PS2 were enough to cover the losses entirely, and even if, they lost their entire financial reserves of the gaming division. Thus leading to my statement they wouldn't be around for Gen8 without the huge PS2 sales.

Wander_ said:
KHlover said:

I dout that the PSP helped out the PS3 any since it has pretty poor software sales and that is where the money comes from.