By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Update: Pokemon X and Y announced for 3DS! Coming October 2013 worldwide!

Which starter is the best?

Fennekin (Fire starter) 186 60.39%

Chespin (Grass Starter) 61 19.81%

Forakie (Water Starter) 57 18.51%

Total:304
KylieDog said:
I hope there is no importing or backwards pokedex nonsense. Do not want to play old pkemon games to catch a pokemon type just so can import it into the new pokemon game, the one I want to play,

Clean slate!

Unless they somehow implement all the legendaries from previous pokemon games into this one, either in-game or via events, importing will continue to be there. I still have my Gen II Celebi and still want to continue to transfer it to the new games.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Around the Network
lestatdark said:
KylieDog said:
I hope there is no importing or backwards pokedex nonsense. Do not want to play old pkemon games to catch a pokemon type just so can import it into the new pokemon game, the one I want to play,

Clean slate!

Unless they somehow implement all the legendaries from previous pokemon games into this one, either in-game or via events, importing will continue to be there. I still have my Gen II Celebi and still want to continue to transfer it to the new games.

Psh I still have my Gengar from the my original Red waiting on m White version  to get transfered to my X version. Though I think Kylie was wondering less about legendaries and more about older gen pokemon in general, on that you should be able to get all pokemon (excluding those that are exclusive to each version and older legendaries) in the game either through scanner or unlocked in post Elite Four.

Former something....

lestatdark said:
KylieDog said:

Clean slate!

They could do as they did with Gen 3, and make sure there's more games in the generation that give you further access.

Picture it this way - three pairs of games released in Gen 3. Pokemon X and Y starts in the new region, and then lets you visit Hoenn. Then there's a new Kanto/Johto game and a new Sinnoh/Unova game. Not that they'd actually do this combination (it would reduce the motivation for further visits to older regions in Gen 7), but it demonstrates that they could definitely do it.

Aielyn said:
lestatdark said:
KylieDog said:

Clean slate!

They could do as they did with Gen 3, and make sure there's more games in the generation that give you further access.

Picture it this way - three pairs of games released in Gen 3. Pokemon X and Y starts in the new region, and then lets you visit Hoenn. Then there's a new Kanto/Johto game and a new Sinnoh/Unova game. Not that they'd actually do this combination (it would reduce the motivation for further visits to older regions in Gen 7), but it demonstrates that they could definitely do it.

They could definitely do it, but it wouldn't be something that I would enjoy that much. A lot of people have been bringing pokemons from previous gens into newer ones since the games launched, my example of the legendaries was only because it's the most restrictive group of pokemons in-game.

Until the worlwide distribution of wi-fi events, it was impossible to get certain pokemon and complete the pokedexes unless you brought them from previous generations. Even on Gen III, you still had some limitations of what pokemon you could get. Now, if they did a fresh start on Gen VI which allows you to obtain all pokemon in that particular gen, then it wouldn't be a big issue (though i'd still want to bring some pokemon that I've put long hours into training and raising), but it would all depend on Game Freaks approach.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

KylieDog said:
lestatdark said:
KylieDog said:

Clean slate!

The point of a clean slate it to forget any other pokemon except for the ones in X/Y exist. 

If a Pokemon exists in the X/Y pokedex, it should be obtainable in X or Y with no need to import from previous gens.

That would create a rift on the current fanbase, I believe. A lot of people have been breeding and training pokemon and using them either competitively or in-game. One of the most fun things to do is taking your old team and see how it would fare against new competition on recent games, and what you're proposing would void that and annoy a lot of people. 

I'd agree with you if you'd say that every pokemon should be available on X/Y, as in full pokedex on both games and no need to go to previous gens. That would encourage a lot of newcomers into the series to complete their own dexes, because the current method of using the GTS is nothing less than a fiasco (99% of the trades are ridiculous), but keeping open the option of importing for the veterans of the series.

Current PC Build

Around the Network
KylieDog said:
lestatdark said:
KylieDog said:
lestatdark said:
KylieDog said:

Clean slate!

The point of a clean slate it to forget any other pokemon except for the ones in X/Y exist. 

If a Pokemon exists in the X/Y pokedex, it should be obtainable in X or Y with no need to import from previous gens.

That would create a rift on the current fanbase, I believe. A lot of people have been breeding and training pokemon and using them either competitively or in-game. One of the most fun things to do is taking your old team and see how it would fare against new competition on recent games, and what you're proposing would void that and annoy a lot of people. 

I'd agree with you if you'd say that every pokemon should be available on X/Y, as in full pokedex on both games and no need to go to previous gens. That would encourage a lot of newcomers into the series to complete their own dexes, because the current method of using the GTS is nothing less than a fiasco (99% of the trades are ridiculous), but keeping open the option of importing for the veterans of the series.

A more important reason is to stop people creating hacked pokemon on old games and transfering them to X/Y.   X/Y has a really great chance to out all the hacked pokemon and masses of shinies and shiny legendaries because 3DS is not hacked yet.

If importing is allowed, it will be ruined from day 1.

'Competitive pokemon' is an oxymoron, it doesn't exist with how corrupted the series is.

I agree, importing should be blocked. For other reasons though. I don't want to play all games from Ruby to Black/White before X/Y to be able to complete my Pokedex.

KylieDog said:
lestatdark said:
KylieDog said:
lestatdark said:
KylieDog said:

Clean slate!

A more important reason is to stop people creating hacked pokemon on old games and transfering them to X/Y.   X/Y has a really great chance to out all the hacked pokemon and masses of shinies and shiny legendaries because 3DS is not hacked yet.

If importing is allowed, it will be ruined from day 1.

'Competitive pokemon' is an oxymoron, it doesn't exist with how corrupted the series is.

It exists, in certain circles. You'd be crazy to go into random online battles, but if you have a group of friends, or are part of a competitive group, it's pretty easy to spot the hacked pokemon and purge that element out of the group. I've done a lot of competitive battles in Black 2 and they've been great.

That's why I said that they should make out with the GTS and they could also promote an additional layer of security for hacks. Even if they ban importing all together, you will have hacked pokemons on X/Y sooner or later, accounting for how fast they adapt the Pokesav programs to newer games, hence the new measures. 

Current PC Build

KHlover said:
I agree, importing should be blocked. For other reasons though. I don't want to play all games from Ruby to Black/White before X/Y to be able to complete my Pokedex.

You should be able to do that with just a few games, you don't need all of them all the way back to Gen III. You would probably be able to get just about all of them with Platinum, Heart Gold or Soul Silver, and Black 2 or White 2. It would require a bit of checking, though. Note that I'm assuming use of the GTS to get alternate-version pokemon, such as Vullaby if you get White 2.

One of the defining reasons I loved Black and White so much was that it was basically a fresh start. 150 NEW Pokemon, all new, no crossovers or repeats until you beat the game and unlocked the endgame content. I was able to get all 150, making me feel fantastic, until I finished the game and remembered I still had like 400+ left to get, then I just gave up.

Black and White 2 were a little bit confusing thanks in part to the fact that it was the 150 from Black and White with 150 more, making the game START with 150; it also took some of the challenge out by giving you Growlithe and Riolu super early in the game (levels 11 and 5, respectively), and that made huntung for an ideal team pretty easy since Arcanine is one of the best fire pokemon in the game (double so once he gets Flamethrower), and Lucario remains my single favorite pokemon to date.

My Black/White and Black/White 2 teams were VERY different. I had Eelektross (or whatever his final evolution was) as my electric type in the first game since he had levitate and therefore had NO weaknesses, but I'm using the fully evolved MAgnezone in Black and White 2, and even though he has a great type mix and fantastic stats, I'm not finding him all that useful. I'm noticing a lot of what's going on in black and White 2 remains useless by comparison, and I don't know why.

X and Y being new pokemon games really could open up a world of opportunities, but I figure this will just be the same old same old. I love the same old same old, but I'd love to really see them overhaul it. We just had 9 goddamn pokemon games on the DS, I think it's time we moved on. (Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HEartGold, SoulSilver, Black, White, Black 2, White 2).

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

I must add that these starters are somewhat lacking, for example the fire starter is quite similar to Vulpix and using a frog to construct a Pokemon has become a mind-numbing cliche. Perhaps the the grass starter is the only thing that turns to me to at least considering they still have somewhat good ideas but I sense a failure on the horizon, I will however be patient and wait for further announcements.