By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Animal Crossing New Leaf sells 2.3 million in Japan; 500k digital

Tagged games:

Owning this game in Digital must be amazing. So that means you can play whatever you want but in your "down time" you go and maintain your town, easy peasy.

I want this game so badly :'(

Around the Network
pezus said:
Does anyone know the digital cards vs. bought digitally split? That's the real figure we should be looking at for digital sales. Didn't famitsu or MC track the cards and if so, we could possibly figure out from there how many have bought it online?

Famitsu tracks the download cards as well as retail copies. Media Create only tracks retail copies. Media Create has the sales at 1,810,244. Famitsu has the sales at 2,123,029This gives us a difference of 312,785 units. Now that doesn't take into account the percentage difference between the two trackers. Also I am not sure if Week 52 is included with the numbers. What we can confirm though is that a vast majority of the download sales came from the card and only a few came from straight download.

95% of gamers don't know they are noobs, the 5% who do won't be noobs for long

Check out my kickstarter project: http://kck.st/15CEuUT

Check out my blog: http://www.metropolisgaming.com

tbone51 said:
think-man said:
Crazy numbers for a game I've never heard of.

Have you ever played SSBB?

Nope :P

Wyrdness said:
This series is really booming, ACDS sold something like 11m with City Folk hitting 4.5m.

Its actually close to 12mil! (AC DS) here.... http://www.vgchartz.com/game/82/animal-crossing-wild-world/

think-man said:
tbone51 said:
think-man said:

Have you ever played SSBB?

Nope :P

Oh damn! You missed out bro lol!

Around the Network
osed125 said:
think-man said:

I understand never playing it but never heard of...

Don't follow Nintendo,  aside from the well known marios and zeldas etc I don't know of much else.

pezus said:
This is a game I wouldn't know about if I wasn't a VGChartz regular :o. Do you think they'll make an Animal Crossing U?

It was released on GCN and Wii, so why not?

pezus said:
This is a game I wouldn't know about if I wasn't a VGChartz regular :o. Do you think they'll make an Animal Crossing U?

If you were making crap tons of money from one game just in Japan do you think you would make another?

From this report to others regarding digital sales it seems safe to assume, for the time being, digital sales make up 20-30% of total sales. So, taking physical copies sold of recent games released and are available digitally and using a multiplier of 1.2 to 1.3 should put you in the ball park of how well a game is really performing. Unless they begin monitoring digital sales but I doubt because transactions are done internally and doesn't get scanned at a third party retailer who are being monitored by tracking agencies or whatever.

So Tom Nook is still a pimp in Nihon.