By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - End of the year results: PS3 outsold WiiU by 59% from launch

Thoughts?

Good sales for both! 30 34.09%

Good for PS3, bad for WiiU 41 46.59%

Bad for PS3, good for WiiU 9 10.23%

Bad sales for both! 3 3.41%

I have no opinion on the matter 5 5.68%

Total:88
morenoingrato said:
Whoa. What the hell happened in Europe? O_o

The same thing which has happened to every nintendo console, excluding wii. We europeans aren't that interested in Nintendo.

Around the Network

Finnally ps3  fans got something to say lol 

I have to say, looking back at sales of Gen 6 consoles during the launch of Gen 7, the difference was much, much larger. If the PS3 could only outsell the Wii U by 59%, it's doing pretty badly.

Of course, if you compare a well-established system with a new system, you'll find that the well-established system will do better. That's a given. It takes time for momentum and supply to both build enough to start selling huge numbers.

pezus said:
Gamerace said:
I remember in 2006/2007 how it was an ongoing joke that the long since replaced GBA continually outsold the PS3 which was even more insulting than this comparison.

360 was outsold by older systems (vastly) when it launched. So was PS3. This is nothing surprising. The only valid comparison is how WiiU launched compared to other systems with is: far better than 360/PS3 but not as good as Wii.

However, fanboys and techies will buy up any system early - so I'm waiting until March to really access if the WiiU will be a success or not.

GBA outsold PS3, that was insulting. Yet now PS3, which was humiliated, gets a glorious revenge by outselling WiiU! This is surprising because PS3 is a third place console. Not even the first place console can outsell WiiU!

lol ! .. enjoy these numbers while it lasts.. i guess sony fans have not much to celebrate these pasts years aye!..  seeing the wiiU being outsold least its bringing you some form of happiness.. lol anything will do =)

Aielyn said:
I have to say, looking back at sales of Gen 6 consoles during the launch of Gen 7, the difference was much, much larger. If the PS3 could only outsell the Wii U by 59%, it's doing pretty badly.

Of course, if you compare a well-established system with a new system, you'll find that the well-established system will do better. That's a given. It takes time for momentum and supply to both build enough to start selling huge numbers.

If you compare the wii-u launch numbers/gap  with the PS3 within the same timespan, what figures does it bring up? I.e Rather than comparing wii-u launch to the 6th? year of the PS3, compare it in the same timeframe as the previous gens comparison.

This generation has gone on pretty long compared to the last, so maybe comparing the Wii-U launch figures with the current sales of the PS3 (which is a year or two longer???) might not be a fair comparison.

This is the problem with this gen, its been confusing, much more competition and gone on longer, so its not so easy to compare figures.

Around the Network

It'll be interesting to see how things actually pan out next year when another next-gen console is likely to release. If the current trend continues into the first half of this year, then Nintendo will need to respond.

I think if the new console releases are true, all the new games, and GTA, then Nintendo will not really be able to do much Pr related until after E3..(as i think it will just go unnoticed) I think they might be better off waiting until after E3 and hold their own event again.

I think ps3 was released first

IMSM

kowenicki said:

This is unusual? I haven't checked but didn't this happen at the start of this gen?

do you plan on checking?

if it did,it's almost fitting. congrates to PS3, but this shows Wii is still popular

Wake up people: GTA5, TLOU, GOW Ascension, Gears Judgment and etc.

Who the hell would prefer a WiiU instead of PS360 that will have great games(exclusives and multiplats) this year? A lot of multiplats won't appear on WiiU.