By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Live: No Longer the Gold Standard

KHlover said:
J_Allard said:
The difference is more than "a couple seconds". The difference in time just browsing for messages/invites is more than "a couple seconds". And yeah, you can mute on PSN.. if the game allows it. If not, you're out of luck. That's the problem with PSN, features and usability are a la carte. And your excuse regarding voice quality is hilarious. Yes, I know anyone can use any BT headset. That's the problem, not an excuse.

Why do you even bother asking for an opinion, if you're just going to shrug the things off as "insignificant"? Like i said, people like you in these threads are always funny. Sorry that my paying for Live's vastly superior service and being happy to do so, bothers you so much :)

Are both of you sure the problem with voice quality lies inside the service? I think it depends far more on the game, IF it is comparable to the PC. When I play TF2 all the voices of my friends sound crappy via ingame voice-chat, perfectly fine via Steam's own voice chat. Also in CoD.

If it is not comparable, go ahead and ignore this post.

Yes, it does also depend on the game and developer. But that makes it a PSN issue for me. There should be a more unified, de facto standard quality for a lot of features but it's a lot like SegaNet on the Dreamcast or the PS2 where developers fend for themselves.

Around the Network
dsgrue3 said:
JayWood2010 said:
Nothing of relevance.

You haven't addressed my point. You keep addressing XBLG as a service. I'm asking you to address charging people to *unlock* their multiplayer aspect of their game they already paid for.

I have no issues with the service itself and all of the features offered. Charging me to use the multiplayer portion of my game that I paid for that you had nothing to do with is my dispute.

In case no one else has laid it out for you yet in the simplest terms possible so that ANYONE could understand:

Nothing on the disc is "locked". You can still play ALL the mulitplayer content on the disc if you want WITHOUT Xbox Live Gold. You simply have to play local multiplayer on the same console, LAN, or other free xbox live service emulators that turn LAN matches into online matches (I used to do this for Halo 1 on original Xbox via Xbox Connect).

You pay for playing the multiplayer content online because Microsoft hosts and provides all the servers, matchmaking, achievement framework, etc for all developers on Xbox Live. This means that every developer has equal share to the wonderful Trueskill ranking system and Microsofts online services for their games without having to devote their own servers or resources.

On PSN, the DEVELOPERS have to foot the bill for all matchmaking, servers, etc. That is the main reason why PSN was free this generation, but even going forward I see it much more likely that PS4 will no longer offer a free service and just make PSN+ the default. There is a reason Sony lost billions this generation with Playstation and the vast majority of it was from online expenses that they could not recover because they decided to have a free service.

And again, these articles are so incredibly stupid because their titles and information are all focused on one aspect. Price. They claim Xbox Live is no longer the best service, which is an outright fallacy. It is still the best online service/community for gamers and the price is fully justified. If you don't feel it is justified and want to use a competitor's service for free and get slightly less quality/services, that is perfectly fine!

There, hopefully we can end this thread with some good ole' fashioned knowledge for so many ignorant Xbox Live haters :)

Yeah right. You can explain to these guys who don't even use XBLG why it is superior to PSN and they will just stick their fingers in their ears and tell you it's irrelevant. Some people simply cannot wrap their heads around the idea that other people value things differently than they do themselves.

J_Allard said:
Yeah right. You can explain to these guys who don't even use XBLG why it is superior to PSN and they will just stick their fingers in their ears and tell you it's irrelevant. Some people simply cannot wrap their heads around the idea that other people value things differently than they do themselves.

Yeah, you for example can't seem to wrap your head around the idea why people would value a slightly less better service for free more than one they have to pay for :D

KHlover said:
J_Allard said:

Yeah, you for example can't seem to wrap your head around the idea why people would value a slightly less better service for free more than one they have to pay for :D

Yeah except that's entirely wrong. Unless you can point me to a thread where I crapped on someone for believing what you typed or told them they are wrong. In fact in the couple of PSN vs XBL threads I have commented in, I have never done either of those.

But fiction can be fun I guess :D

Around the Network
J_Allard said:
KHlover said:
J_Allard said:

Yeah except that's entirely wrong. Unless you can point me to a thread where I crapped on someone for believing what you typed or told them they are wrong. In fact in the couple of PSN vs XBL threads I have commented in, I have never done either of those.

But fiction can be fun I guess :D

Dude, you even wrote it yourself o.O. They value the few things XBL does better not as much as you and you can't understand it.

You seem confused. I can understand that some people don't agree Live is worth paying for and are fine with PSN or other platforms on PC. Nothing you bolded says otherwise.

When I start going into PC/PSN threads and telling people that they are wrong for settling for those inferior services and calling them moronic and that their reasons for their opinions are irrelevant, then you'll have a point. I'll be on pins and needles waiting for that day.

what's funny is we are more than likely to move into model than XBL on everything..... on the long run you'll get the hardware for dirt cheap you'll get the game engine for dirt cheap but you'll have to pay for services, subscriptions, apps, extra content/DLC, accessories.... a model free like sony can't last with the ever growing demand in security and bandwidth/hardware requirement.... sooner or later the infrastructure of the virtual world will be the only thing they can monetize on.... or yeah it will be free but heavily ad supported and you'll get the ad free version at a premium..... but one way or the other, money won't be on the hardware for much more....

Gold is one of the reasons why I'm switching to PS4 for the next gen. I rarely use the multiplayer features of games.

Also, it should be criminal to charge for something like that; we're already forced to pay for internet.

NightDragon83 said:
Scoobes said:
Well, these threads always end up the same with the two camps firmly entrenched in their opposing viewpoints.

Personally, I find the idea of paying to play online, something I've been able to do for free since I got my first PC in 1996, absolutely ridiculous and abhor MS' business model with Live. For MS it seems to be working though. I suspect in the future though that MS will find the subscription fee to play online actually drives more customers away and growth will slow to the point of being detrimental (less consoles sold). The whole industry seems to be moving towards Free-2-Play, and not just for MMO based games. Eventually, MS will have to change to compete with this general trend.

You've been connecting to the internet for free for the last 15 years???

In all seriousness though, you can't compare online gaming on PCs to online gaming on consoles.  It's an apples to oranges comparison.  Online gaming on PCs started off mainly through LAN networks and private servers.  There was never a centralized network through which all online gameplay and interactions went through such as XBL or PSN.  Of course these days you have things like Steam and Origin, but it's still not the same thing.

The reason M$ started charging for XBL from the beginning was because it cost money (lots of it) to lay the groundwork for such an online network unique to one console.  It cost even more money to revamp XBL for the current gen, not to mention score exclusive agreements with other companies like ESPN and UFC for their online apps.

And it's not like M$ are the only ones to ever charge people for playing online... Sega did the same thing years earlier, initally allowing gamers to play certain games for free on Dreamcast but later requiring a subscribtion to SegaNet, and even earlier they charged a nominal fee to play compatible Saturn games online with the NetLink adapter.

Personaly I think M$ should drop the price of XBL a bit... there was no need for them to raise the price from $50/yr to $60/yr while providing no new services or benefits in return, but if they dropped it to say $30 or $40 a year I'd have no problem paying it... hell, I only pay $40/year now anyway for XBL because I always get the subscription cards or online codes on Amazon or elsewhere when they go on sale.

Funnily enough, the first game I ever played online was a Microsoft published title; Age of Empires. And personally, I think saying it's comparing apples to oranges is a bit of a cop out. The reason people are willing to pay is because they want to play online and that basic feature is the core of what I've been doing on PC for the last 15 years. All the extra features are simply that, extras. Steam and Origin are also very similar and have largely the same costs (servers) as Live does.

Anyway, I think Microsoft can find alternative revenue streams to suplement subscriptions to the point they could give casual/Silver players a few hours of free online play per month. A lot of MMOs give players free play up to a certain level (if not entirely). That may even increase subscriptions, lol.