By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - That sucks so much monkey balls! My wii just crapped out!

Katilian said:

Wow, you and I have very different definitions of conservative. My last bill for 3 months was 891kWh. I too live with my girlfriend and I personally don't consider her or myself conservative either.

I moved out in August, so I'm probably quoting you bills from June and July.  I'm sure that our bills from last December were far lower.

Around the Network

There's a reason most electronic devices have a standby mode. Electronics are made to be consistently run. Every time you turn on a device, a surge of electricity flows through it, wearing out the transistors. Standby mode prevents this, by keeping a low current of electricity flowing through the device perpetually. This is also the reason why PCs have a sleep function.

The only reason people have become accustomed to turning off their electronics after using them is because of Windows OS. Windows has problems with ram allocation, and because of this any computer running Windows will gradually slow down if left on too long (after too many programs have been used on the computer). As such, people have grown accustomed to restarting their computers after a bit of time, to give them a fresh start and speed things up. Macs don't have this problem (as much as I dislike Macs), and I know people that leave them on for months at a time with no slowdowns, crashes, etc.

Needless to say, standby mode was not the cause of your Wii's failure. Standby mode was only helping it to last longer.

The_vagabond7 said:

I'm one of the lucky few who's wii decided to bite it. No More Heroes comes out tomorrow, guess who's playing it. NOT ME. I went to play some Smash Bros Melee (thanks to stupid Benkenobi...) and when I turned it on, it locked up on the channel screen after about 5 seconds. Rebooted it, same deal. Tried again, didn't even make it past the "press A" screen. Won't play for more than a few seconds.

My friend was playing RE:4 the Sunday and left it on Standby (why won't he learn to turn it off!?) And I didn't notice until just now. It was pretty warm, but I used to leave it on standby for weeks at a time before I learned that it wasn't actually off. Now it won't play. DAMNIT ALL TO HELL.

I'll call Nintendo tomorrow and hopefully they will just fix it hassle free. I better have it back before March though or I will be damn pissed! More than I already am I mean!

Nintendo should send you a replacement unit, if you call them before you send it, it'll be there quick, and you use that one till they send yours back, or something along those lines.

Sorry man, never had a Nintendo system crap out on me before. The Wii is probably the system from Nintendo to break the most, but its error ratio is still under 1 percent, that's some pretty bad luck. :( 

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

makingmusic476 said:
There's a reason most electronic devices have a standby mode. Electronics are made to be consistently run. Every time you turn on a device, a surge of electricity flows through it, wearing out the transistors. Standby mode prevents this, by keeping a low current of electricity flowing through the device perpetually. This is also the reason why PCs have a sleep function.

The only reason people have become accustomed to turning off their electronics after using them is because of Windows OS. Windows has problems with ram allocation, and because of this any computer running Windows will gradually slow down if left on too long (after too many programs have been used on the computer). As such, people have grown accustomed to restarting their computers after a bit of time, to give them a fresh start and speed things up. Macs don't have this problem (as much as I dislike Macs), and I know people that leave them on for months at a time with no slowdowns, crashes, etc.

Needless to say, standby mode was not the cause of your Wii's failure. Standby mode was only helping it to last longer.

This is true, in most cases, but not the Wiis. The Wii actually allocates power to internet functions, such as your on system mail. This makes the system hot. The Wii does have a mode like your talking about, and its always passively on:

True standbye mode is when the little red light is on(which exists for the reasons you've stated), to extend the products life cycle. The OP is talking about Standbye mode for Connect 24(orange light). This significantly heats the system at all times above room temperature, with no cooling solution. Heat of any sort eventually wears down the connections and boards within electronics(See RRoD). With no fan, Wii Connect 24 standbye connection is like having your system constantly on, and it reduces the overall life of your system, most likely, however, I there are no studies to confirm or deny these assertions.

All systems have used a passive standbye mode for years. You can feel where their power source is plugged into the box and it will be everso slightly warm. The PS2 even had a red light. Wii connect 24 is not standbye mode. It is a semi-awake state that allows the internet to communicate with your Wii hardware, and though it is debatable that it is bad for your system, it certainly isn't good for it, and should only be used when necessary, imo.

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Katilian said:
Entroper said:
The point is, if you leave your Wii on standby for a month, you use 7.2 kWh of electricity. My electricity bill at my last apartment was usually around 1000 kWh per month, and my girlfriend and I are pretty conservative with our energy use. We're talking about the smallest of fractions here, less than 1%. 20M people * 10 watts is a tiny drop in the bucket compared to what those 20M people already use.

Wow, you and I have very different definitions of conservative. My last bill for 3 months was 891kWh. I too live with my girlfriend and I personally don't consider her or myself conservative either.

That said, stand-by power accounts for in between 5-10% of your electricity bill. Sure you can say that x * total people * kWh isn't much, but that starts to add up across devices, espically when you now consider that 5-10% of totally residential energy usage across the country comes from devices in standby.

Not that I'm trying to preach anything, I too leave all my devices in standby.

u do realize that you prolly didn't just make an apples to apples comparison, right?

u have to factor in month of the year, if u have a gas stove, gas hot water heater, etc...the size of the places and how tall the ceilings are...your local climate, etc etc etc

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp
Around the Network
Fastrabbit09 said:
Katilian said:
Entroper said:
The point is, if you leave your Wii on standby for a month, you use 7.2 kWh of electricity. My electricity bill at my last apartment was usually around 1000 kWh per month, and my girlfriend and I are pretty conservative with our energy use. We're talking about the smallest of fractions here, less than 1%. 20M people * 10 watts is a tiny drop in the bucket compared to what those 20M people already use.

That said, stand-by power accounts for in between 5-10% of your electricity bill. Sure you can say that x * total people * kWh isn't much, but that starts to add up across devices, espically when you now consider that 5-10% of totally residential energy usage across the country comes from devices in standby.

Not that I'm trying to preach anything, I too leave all my devices in standby.

u do realize that you prolly didn't just make an apples to apples comparison, right?

u have to factor in month of the year, if u have a gas stove, gas hot water heater, etc...the size of the places and how tall the ceilings are...your local climate, etc etc etc

I'm perfectly aware there are many factors involved, hence why we have different definitions of conservative. I wasn't saying he was wrong, more to point out the differences between peoples power consumption. After re-reading my post, I can see it might come off a bit harsh, but that wasn't intended.

man that sucks. my wii is always on or someone in my house is always playing it and never had any problems. kinda strange that it just died like that... heres wishing for a march resurrection of your wii!

wii friend code: 3164-3458-9149-5470

PSN ID: youjiro87

360 Gamertag: PM me to find out!

Katilian said:
Fastrabbit09 said:

I'm perfectly aware there are many factors involved, hence why we have different definitions of conservative. I wasn't saying he was wrong, more to point out the differences between peoples power consumption. After re-reading my post, I can see it might come off a bit harsh, but that wasn't intended.

It's all good.  :)  The energy use isn't even the important issue with regard to WC24 anyway; the bigger issue IMO is the popularity of blaming Wii failures on WC24.  I think Wii failures would be extremely widespread (RROD levels) if an intentional, built-in feature of the system was causing it to overheat and fail.

Apart from 6 hours during a power cut and when I took it to pieces to put it in it's shiney chrome case, my Wii has been on standby at least a year.

Back on topic was the GC game and Wii the same region as I imported nearly all of my GC games from Canada and used a freeloader to play them on my PAL GC, I have never tried them on my Wii as I was told NTSC games could brick it so I just play my GC games on my GC.

Wii - 3348 5602 9364 2110

Mario Kart - 0474 1321 9262

Nintendo-systems breaking, that's...new