By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - That sucks so much monkey balls! My wii just crapped out!

ZenfoldorVGI said:
makingmusic476 said:
There's a reason most electronic devices have a standby mode. Electronics are made to be consistently run. Every time you turn on a device, a surge of electricity flows through it, wearing out the transistors. Standby mode prevents this, by keeping a low current of electricity flowing through the device perpetually. This is also the reason why PCs have a sleep function.

The only reason people have become accustomed to turning off their electronics after using them is because of Windows OS. Windows has problems with ram allocation, and because of this any computer running Windows will gradually slow down if left on too long (after too many programs have been used on the computer). As such, people have grown accustomed to restarting their computers after a bit of time, to give them a fresh start and speed things up. Macs don't have this problem (as much as I dislike Macs), and I know people that leave them on for months at a time with no slowdowns, crashes, etc.

Needless to say, standby mode was not the cause of your Wii's failure. Standby mode was only helping it to last longer.

This is true, in most cases, but not the Wiis. The Wii actually allocates power to internet functions, such as your on system mail. This makes the system hot. The Wii does have a mode like your talking about, and its always passively on:

True standbye mode is when the little red light is on(which exists for the reasons you've stated), to extend the products life cycle. The OP is talking about Standbye mode for Connect 24(orange light). This significantly heats the system at all times above room temperature, with no cooling solution. Heat of any sort eventually wears down the connections and boards within electronics(See RRoD). With no fan, Wii Connect 24 standbye connection is like having your system constantly on, and it reduces the overall life of your system, most likely, however, I there are no studies to confirm or deny these assertions.

All systems have used a passive standbye mode for years. You can feel where their power source is plugged into the box and it will be everso slightly warm. The PS2 even had a red light. Wii connect 24 is not standbye mode. It is a semi-awake state that allows the internet to communicate with your Wii hardware, and though it is debatable that it is bad for your system, it certainly isn't good for it, and should only be used when necessary, imo.

I assumed he was talking about normal standby mode, and not WiiConnect24.

As for the ps2, I once had a friend that would get psised at me for "leaving it on" simply because the red light was still on. Every time I went to turn it off, he made me flip the switch on the back, no matter what I told him, lol.