By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Would PS3 be ahead of 360 if it had launched globally in 2006? - read the gosh darn OP!

platformmaster918 said:
sunK1D said:
platformmaster918 said:
sunK1D said:
platformmaster918 said:
YukanaSenix said:
Yeah with ease
Even with the high price Tag - But well 1 year late,far to expensive and having a bad start cause developers are unloyal,getting hacked by some Sony haters and still finishing 2nd is a nice demonstration how far superior Sony is.
Just don't make the same mistakes with the next console and we are back were the world should be.

I've made this point 1,000 times and people just don't like to acknowledge it.  If MS makes any one of those mistakes they're out of the equation entirely (like Xbox made 2 of them).  I mean by the time this gen is done (aka when all 3 cease production on current gen) Sony could end up being the first company to lead the industry with the most expensive console throughout the gen.

Sony lost siginificant brand preference with the PS3. The PS4 can be a much better product than the PS3 ever was but it simply won't be able to count with "blind" adoption that the PS3 enjoyed. At the end of the day, the Playstation brand went from being the prefered gaming machine before the PS3 was even launched to having to prove themselves with the PS4 launch.

This is "the end of the world" from a marketing perspective, made worst by the fact that Sony themselves put them into this situation. Microsoft only capitalized on it.

but PS3 is doing very well now.  I don't think a 3rd place console has ever done so well this late in a gen.  I think people recognize that they have the best exclusives and free online makes up for initial cost eventually.  People don't realize how huge a $200 difference is.  It wasn't $50 like now, and PS3 launched against Wii which was under half as expensive and stole the launch thunder.  People like to point to Vita but home console is where Playstation is king and portables have never been their dominant market.  They may never regain the dominance they had during PS2 but they are still the most powerful name in home consoles.  Yes they're third this gen but they'll end up selling around 100m making every blunder possible.

The PS3 has sold half of what the PS2 sold. No one in their right mind at the time(around PS3 launch) would tell you that the PS3 wasn't gonna lead next gen, it was just unthinkable that Sony would drop as much as they did.

Exclusives are good only during a consoles initial years, as MS has proven. They look at Sony releasing exclusive after exclusive and yet failing to make a meaningful difference in sales compared to the X360. Microsoft must be asking, does Sony just not understand the market or what? In this day and age of CoD, exclusives take the back sit. Whoever can offer the best experience overall wins and while XBL is $50/y, people seem to have no problem paying up whereas how many times i hear people complaining about PS+ because they don't like the games and etc. IT'S "FREE" for FFS..

but why would PS3 be selling more at all now?  They are still the most expensive.  The only reasons I can think of is A.) people are seeing the exclusives  B.) People are seeing online plays basically the same minus cross game chat (which is weird for me anyway as I would only want to talk with people I'm playing with) for $50 less and you can use all your apps without paying.

That.

Around the Network

I don't think it would have overtaken it by now, but the gap would be a max of a few 100K. That's just as long as Sony could have kept up with demand.

I live in a PAL territory. I can only speak of personal experience/opinion in this matter.

I know that if PS3 launched in 06 with hardware BC - I'd have bought one at launch for AUD$995 - still I paid AUD$695 for the PSX at launch and wasn't worried.

The six months wait wasn't so bad, and in Australia, was kind of expected- the removal of hardware BC was a MASSIVE slap in the face. Especially since I'd bought one of those new fangled LCD HDTV's in 2006 and couldn't connect my PS2 to it without buying new fangled cables.

Removing a feature that is key to your established user base upgrading - in your largest market showed me how much they wanted my business.

JimmyDanger said:
I live in a PAL territory. I can only speak of personal experience/opinion in this matter.

I know that if PS3 launched in 06 with hardware BC - I'd have bought one at launch for AUD$995 - still I paid AUD$695 for the PSX at launch and wasn't worried.

The six months wait wasn't so bad, and in Australia, was kind of expected- the removal of hardware BC was a MASSIVE slap in the face. Especially since I'd bought one of those new fangled LCD HDTV's in 2006 and couldn't connect my PS2 to it without buying new fangled cables.

Removing a feature that is key to your established user base upgrading - in your largest market showed me how much they wanted my business.

I thought all phats were BC with PS2 and I know a lot of PS3s are BC with PS1. 300 AUD increase from PS1 to PS3? not bad I think in america it was a 500$ increase. Still terrible prices overall.

Hmm, I think it could've shifted the balance of the "console war" 10 to 15 million in playstation's favour. The Xbox may not have sold huge amounts before the PS3 launched, but it helped it get a lot of mindshare (particularly in the US.) If they had launched simultaneously the Xbox would have sold less than it did and just generally penetrated the market less. This would've likely resulted in less investment from 3rd parties (and possibly MS) in the Xbox generally and more of a shift towards the PS3.
People will probably disagree with me but I think the overall console war would've been very different.

Around the Network

Looking at the numbers, the PS3 actually sells better. I even predict that the ps3 will outsell the Xbox360 in the next 2 years, the exclusive titles are way more promising and Sony was able to push a version of the PS3 through a certification process in china.

In terms of money the Xbox 360 was a complete mess. The first generations had a failure rate of up to 50%. And honestly, Microsoft will have a really tough battle in the next gen, same as in the current one. Exclusive games are selling the console and right now Sony has the upper hand. Beyond, The Last of Us, Ni no Kuni, God of War.

I also read a lot about the Xbox 360 being the superior console from US folks. I only see one, the controller, and the quality of them really sucks. Take that away, what's left? It's all about your favorite games. Seems like NA buyers just enjoy Halo and Gears of War an awful lot more than PS3 exclusives.

pezus said:
JimmyDanger said:

They didn't remove it completely though! I remember playing Ratchet and Clank 3 on mine

Hardware BC - the one thing PS3 unarguably hands down did better than 360 at launch - if you lived in NA/JPN. And was top bullet point in the PS3/360 advantages/disadvantages.Full software support vs a list of a few hundred emulation supported titles.

Hardware BC - not limited library emulation like the 360 had. And the PS3's software emulation had less titles supported than 360 - and bugs were rife. That ended up being taken away anyway - while funnily enough - it's the 360 that supports more 6th gen titles now. Although supporting more than zero isn't hard.

Like I said - to yank out that emotion engine that cost around $20 - for a unit I'd be paying AUD$995 for (and indeed all us PAL territories pay a premium over our NA counterparts - but that's cool - if we're basically not getting gimped hardware too.

That they expected their PS2 library loyals to upgrade to PS3 at that cost  - without even giving us the opportunity other territories and gimping the motherboard -  was a huge slap in the face. Like I said before - I bought a PSX at launch (for $695AUD - I think I was earning $10 an hour working retail back in 95) - I'd supported them for launches, bought a ton of software for 12 years (95-07).

As a PAL gamer for 30+ odd years - it's the biggest regional hardware gimping slap in the face I can recall. The only thing that comes close was when Nintendo borked the component out ports of PAL Gamecubes. Though I cared less about that because a) I didn't have a component capable TV til around when 360 was launched - and b) I DID have a ton of PS2 games that I had to play still (mostly unsupported)  , most of which were bettr than launch PS3 games - and limited room under the TV with a 360 and Wii there already to have to keep a PS2 AND a PS3 there.

So - more on topic - if the OP means if it launched globally and had hardware BC - and wasn't more than AUD$995 for the 60gb/hardware BC model - It would have sold one more unit to me at launch at least. Maybe more. Probably quite a few PS2 owners wouldn't have dragged their feet.

pezus said:
kowenicki said:
Maybe

This is a comment I would've liked.

You're asking too much.

crissindahouse said:

one reason obviously advertisement, otherwise i wouldn't mention it for the 360. people always complain about the weak sony advertisement but at least in germany they are way better as microsoft for their consoles. much more ads (microsoft most of the time only for christmas, sony the whole year) and much better ads in my opinion. and with their aggressive advertisement in football (champions league main sponsor, plenty of ads in every "bundesliga" game) they are the leader for one of the most favourite games and the leader for the game many people buy a console for here in my country.

i'm not saying microsoft would sell more or as much as sony but they could compete better with more advertisement in germany and probably rest of europe. and nobody has to tell me adverstiement doesn't change anything, if that would be the case companies wouldn't pay billions for it.

do you know which ads i saw this christmas for ps3 and 360?

ps3: psabr, wonderbook, need for speed, asscreed, fifa and some more....

xbox: halo (and a stupid ad without gameplay or anything) (edit: i also saw resident evil ads for only one console, i am not sure but it could have been the 360)

that wasn't just this year, it is like this since the consoles are out, in my opinion microsoft fails hard with xbox advertisement in germany.

and not sure which supply issues you are talkng about but one year after the release of the 360 i didn't see much supply issues in german retail, maybe uk. but if you want to talk about supply issues, if sony would have released the console the same time worldwide including europe they would have had less consoles for other markets and with that a weaker first holiday outside of europe. so with that logic they would be maybe stronger in europe nowadays but weaker in usa as they already are. earlier release in europe = less produced consoles for america.

Actually if Sony managed to release the PS3 in November 2006 worldwide it means they wouldn't have had any prodcution problems so supply should have been healthy in both regions.

Anyway I just realized that XBox 360 launched in 2005 so I don't think it is certain that PS3 would have stolen that many 360 sales as the damage had already been done....

n

pezus said:
Kasz216 said:

Well, assuming the PS3 is the exact same device... I actually think the PS3 could of sold worse. I mean it would either be sold at the same price at a higher loss, or for a higher price... and Sony wouldn't of been able to lower the price as fast... (lets say a little earlier chronologically then it did in real life). A price cut a little less then a year later in it's lifespan and you worry that it might actually LOSE customers and interest at that point.

I'm assuming too that we're assuming the tech just magically got done a year earlier, and that the new rushed launch isn't going to cause a 360 RROD type event.

Sold more at launch?  Yeah, long term though....

The PS3 was ready to go back in 2006, and it did in Japan+USA but not in Europe because of some manufacturing issues I think. I'm assuming that they could've made enough PS3s for a global launch in Nov 2006, instead of only in America+Japan

I remember to have read that the war between BD and HD-DVD caused blue laser shortages during 2006, and this forced Sony to a staggered launch.

https://www.google.com/search?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=blue+lasers+shortage+ps3+launch&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

So if this was the only reason, it's likely that were Sony able to do a global launch, it could have sold more.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!