By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Would PS3 be ahead of 360 if it had launched globally in 2006? - read the gosh darn OP!

Well, assuming the PS3 is the exact same device... I actually think the PS3 could of sold worse. I mean it would either be sold at the same price at a higher loss, or for a higher price... and Sony wouldn't of been able to lower the price as fast... (lets say a little earlier chronologically then it did in real life). A price cut a little less then a year later in it's lifespan and you worry that it might actually LOSE customers and interest at that point.

I'm assuming too that we're assuming the tech just magically got done a year earlier, and that the new rushed launch isn't going to cause a 360 RROD type event.

Sold more at launch?  Yeah, long term though....

Around the Network

Perhaps, but since they didnt launch globally because of supply constraints, I dont think they would have moved anymore than they did.

Now if they had supply to actually deliver o every region...I dont know. There were only so many people willing to pay the launch price... I think Sony's sales would just dry up. Hard to say with hypotheticals.

It wouldn't have made much of a difference. The PS3 would have cost even more than it did and the 360 would have had all the games devs couldn't figure out how to run on the PS3.

Not sure, even separated launch it didn't sell that bad. Now if we are talking Vita, yes having to delay/separate their launch was horrible in hind sight, but that isn't the case for every system. We have to remember the world was a different place in 2006.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

yes PS3 would be in second with a likely 5m lead over 360

Around the Network

Quite possible, but who knows really. Releasing first was a strategic move by MS that worked, so you have to give them credit (considering the advantage releasing first gave PS2 over Xbox 1). But I think that the PS brand would have been strong enough that if PS3 and 360 were released at the same time, PS3 quite possibly would have had more sales than the 360 by now.

My side question is though, what about PS4 and 720 - which, if released about the same time, would PS4 outsell 720? I don't think it would, since MS with the 360 has successfully won the hearts of many former Sony faithful.

Nintendo Network ID: DaRevren

I love My Wii U, and the potential it brings to gaming.

i'm pretty sure we had exactly that topic last month. i said it is not possible to talk about that because microsoft would have maybe changed the strategy then (and sony as well). maybe we would have seen a cheaper 360, maybe earlier price reductions, maybe microsoft would have invetsed more in advertisment for europe.

pezus said:
crissindahouse said:

i'm pretty sure we had exactly that topic last month. i said it is not possible to talk about that because microsoft would have changed the strategy then (and sony as well). maybe we would have seen a cheaper 360 then from beginning, maybe earlier price reductions, maybe microsoft would have invetsed more in advertisment for europe or like 100 more possibilities, as example a weaker ps3 which wouldn't let some exclusive games look better.

No, no, no, read the OP again . The PS3 was ready and already launched in USA+Japan. I'm only talking about moving Europe's launch back around 4 months.

yeah i had a math fail but the rest about advertisement in europe still stands as well as a maybe globally lower price for 360 if ps3 would have sold so much more then. (ok it would need only 2 million more so microsoft would have probably done nothing lol)

crissindahouse said:

i'm pretty sure we had exactly that topic last month. i said it is not possible to talk about that because microsoft would have changed the strategy then (and sony as well). maybe we would have seen a cheaper 360, maybe earlier price reductions, maybe microsoft would have invetsed more in advertisment for europe or like 100 more possibilities.

The same topic pops up every month.

Definitely. Especially considering that RROD the 360 had going for it. Those couple million who got Xbox 360s at launch would have probably gotten PS3s instead.