By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why: MS dominates holidays/Sony dominates year-USA

For this discussion I'd like to only talk about the USA, given that I'm fairly certain Christmas is a bigger deal here than anywhere else. Also this is just for Microsoft and Sony. Nintendo dominates everywhere at all times so they don't count. Lol.

Anyway, why does Microsoft and the Xbox 360 always dominate the Ps3 for the holidays? The Ps3 outsold the 360 every week of this year (minus a couple if I'm not mistaken) but once it get close to the holidays the 360 sales shoot right up. Why?

In my opinion I think it's for two reason. 
1. Microsoft adveritses the 360 much more so than the Ps3 in the Usa. Also I think the advertisments cater to the casual audience expotentially more than Sony's do.
2. The image in general for the 360 leans heavily on Kinect, especially more so for the holidays. While hardcore/older gamers don't care much for Kinect, I'm sure it appeals a lot for the younger audience. In comparison, how many kids/teens do you know that want the PsMove for Christmas? 

Also worth noting that Black Ops 2 on 360 is selling at pretty much a 2:1 ratio compared to the Ps3 version in the US. And Halo 4 is selling great as usual. 
But that's just for this year. Ps3 has a pretty weak exclusive line-up this holiday when compared to the dominating 2011 exclusive list. Yet even then the 360 outsold the Ps3 very easily and every year before that as well.

In conclusion, I just think the 360 is more of a visually appealing gift for Christmas. Microsoft knows how to handle holidays, I'll give them that. When you can start directly competing with Nintendo, you know you're marketing your products correctly.

According to posts I've seen though, the Ps360 gap has tightened up this holiday including this week: 360 - 806k vs Ps3 - 770k. Europe is keeping the Ps3 close when when the 360 completley dominates the Ps3 in the USA.

Just something I've noticed. Thoughts?

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

Around the Network

On the other hand, sony wins japan and europe all year, and global sales too.

Dragon246 said:

But this is not what the topic suggests the thread is about.

kowenicki said:
US sales

Jan to 27th Oct 2012

360 2.7m
PS3 2.0m

Good point I should have focused completley all on USA sales since I brought it up. I guess I switched over to worldwide because the USA sales for the 360 shoot up so much, that it starts outselling the Ps3 worldwide, compared to the rest of the year. 

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

Dragon246 said:

Which isn't relevant as the OP is clearly talking US sales.  

Around the Network

Well it seems blitz advertising works.. plus the 360 may have more appeal overall in games department... yes PS3 is getting some good exclusives.. But Microsoft has already done enough damage in the US anyway.. to be the leader around Christmas time. Basically... since Microsoft has had the lead for so long.. it means more people get to play the 360.. see a lot of it's exclusives.. and other games.. and will in turn if they don't have a system yet.. ask for the 360.. and even the people that are buying the PS3... or have had one for years.. probably want a 360.. and Christmas time is the right time...

Nintendo Wii by generations...

1. Wii

2. Wii U

3. Wii O U

Predictions made by gamers concerning the current Nintendo line up of games.

Pikmen 3= Little Bump to nothing. (Got Little Bump)

Wind Waker HD= Won't sell anything (The explosion happened here and at one time 4 Wii U games was in the Amazon top 100)

Super Mario 3D World= Won't help at all looks cheap. (Currently the most sought after Wii U game and continuing the Wii U increase.)

If you want to know why the 360 historically has had strong Christmas holiday performances it is mainly due to good bundles, temporary/permanent price cuts and of course strong marketing. All that being said, the 360 outsells the PS3 all year so if you're talking specifically US it means the 360 is catering to more US gamers tastes at present.

kowenicki said:
US sales

Jan to 27th Oct 2012

360 2.7m
PS3 2.0m

That doesn't look like "easily" to me.

007BondAgent said:
kowenicki said:
US sales

Jan to 27th Oct 2012

360 2.7m
PS3 2.0m

Well, for a console with ONE WHOLE YEAR of a head-start ... I think it's pretty "amazing". :)

kowenicki said:
007BondAgent said:
kowenicki said:
US sales

Jan to 27th Oct 2012

360 2.7m
PS3 2.0m

35% more sales isn't easily?  Ok then.

Easily is a term used loosely, so it's just a matter of opinion

I'd say it's doing better, but then again, it's pretty much the same as easily :)