By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - American Farming subsidies to end- Obama worst president ever?

famousringo said:
outlawauron said:
Dear Lord I hope so. Nearly all of the subsidies that are in place are no longer needed. The biggest one that needs to go is corn. Unhealthy foods and drinks have benefited much because of it.

That's just one of the problems with farm subsidies.

Why should the middle class and the rich get a discount on food? Let them pay the real price and save the financial assistance for those who can't. Increasing welfare benefits for higher food prices will cost less than subsidizing food for everybody.

Another problem is international. Farmers in poorer countries can't make a living because subsidized first world farmers overproduce and end up dumping their output on the world market at prices that unsubsidized farmers can't match. The US isn't the only offender here, but the more rich countries kill farm subsidies, the better life will get for farmers without a rich government backing them up.

Eh, I think we're having a disconnect. Healthy foods like fruits and vegetables need to subsidizied while unhealthy foods consumed by the poorest people because they're the cheapest needs to be unsubsidized. Middle class and rich are spending their dollars at Whole Foods and Fresh Markets, they're not getting a discount on food.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
famousringo said:
outlawauron said:
Dear Lord I hope so. Nearly all of the subsidies that are in place are no longer needed. The biggest one that needs to go is corn. Unhealthy foods and drinks have benefited much because of it.

That's just one of the problems with farm subsidies.

Why should the middle class and the rich get a discount on food? Let them pay the real price and save the financial assistance for those who can't. Increasing welfare benefits for higher food prices will cost less than subsidizing food for everybody.

Another problem is international. Farmers in poorer countries can't make a living because subsidized first world farmers overproduce and end up dumping their output on the world market at prices that unsubsidized farmers can't match. The US isn't the only offender here, but the more rich countries kill farm subsidies, the better life will get for farmers without a rich government backing them up.

Eh, I think we're having a disconnect. Healthy foods like fruits and vegetables need to subsidizied while unhealthy foods consumed by the poorest people because they're the cheapest needs to be unsubsidized. Middle class and rich are spending their dollars at Whole Foods and Fresh Markets, they're not getting a discount on food.

Really all you would have to do is make it so food stamps only works with healthy foods.   Right now SNAP cards can be used to buy Pepsi.  If you wanted to be even more extreme you could make it so that SNAP only works for raw foods.

Never heard about this.
Amusing thread.

Congress, Senate, then President. and where the hell is the link for this.

you're over reacting ryan. it won't become law unless Obama signs it. it won't go to Obama if the Senate doesn't pass it.

Kasz216 said:

Also.... "Crisis" likely averted.

http://farmfutures.com/story-farm-bill-deal-reached-0-72184

Not surprised at all. Ending subsidies is hard. Not only do voters see an increased sticker price (a very visible effect, even if you compensate with tax cuts and increased welfare), but rural voters are likely to punish lawmakers for the change. With rural votes being worth almost twice as much as urban votes, it's easy math for representatives to do.

@outlawauron

The idea of subsidizing healthy produce has some merit, but farm subsidies do certainly lower prices for rich and poor alike. I realize that poor people eat more corn-derived processed food, but the price of that food is low no matter what income your household has. There's no reason rich people need a discount on bread and tortillas.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network

Good. Drop Corn and get the fucking Ethanol out of my Gasoline.

spurgeonryan said:

Are you prepared to spend 7 dollars on a gallon of milk?

Say hello to Mr Clinton, the guy who caused the recession. He possibly is one of the worst presidents ever due to his utter lack of foresight. 
And let's not forget Nixon... 

spurgeonryan said:
spaceguy said:
spurgeonryan said:
Obviously you have no clue about anything to do with Business. America is a poorly run business. Obama is the CEO. If there is a problem it comes down to the CEO, no matter what part the board of directors play in the problem. Managers are responsible for what happens below them. Plain and simple. Sorry Spaceguy.

Why do you post politics. You have no clue what your talking about. LOL

I'm suppost to take you seriously. Power is well split up and the constitution makes that clear. Low information voters have only them selfs to blame. A government is not a business. You know what I'm not going to teach you. Go watch fox, they will continue ur destroyed education of how our government works.

So I have to be the smartest person in the world like you to post politics or be interested in what is going on?

Lol, you are my favorite book smart member.

I'm glad I gained another fan, Here you can also join my side business on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/#!/DJEvolve

spaceguy said:
spurgeonryan said:
spaceguy said:
spurgeonryan said:
Obviously you have no clue about anything to do with Business. America is a poorly run business. Obama is the CEO. If there is a problem it comes down to the CEO, no matter what part the board of directors play in the problem. Managers are responsible for what happens below them. Plain and simple. Sorry Spaceguy.

Why do you post politics. You have no clue what your talking about. LOL

I'm suppost to take you seriously. Power is well split up and the constitution makes that clear. Low information voters have only them selfs to blame. A government is not a business. You know what I'm not going to teach you. Go watch fox, they will continue ur destroyed education of how our government works.

So I have to be the smartest person in the world like you to post politics or be interested in what is going on?

Lol, you are my favorite book smart member.

I'm glad I gained another fan, Here you can also join my side business on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/#!/DJEvolve

Here's a fan photo too!!! LOl I know I'm really sexy in this pic. The girls love it. LOL

spurgeonryan said:
Kasz216 said:
pokoko said:
Er. Do you have some kind of information you can share? Any details at all? As far as I know, some farm subsidies are awful and went on way, way too long. Keep in mind that I live in a rural, farming county in a farming state. I know people who made tons of money to NOT plant certain crops while still making money planting others. Look at the corn situation, where corn syrup was literally as cheap as water.

You're really going to need to give us more details if you want people to form any kind of opinion.

Couldn't agree more.   If they do get rid of the farm subsidies maybe soda can go back to superior pure sugar.'

If somehow congress ignored the huge corporate farm lobby and corn lobby and let these uneeded subsidies expire it would be great.

They tried using pure sugar again about a year ago. Tastes horrible in soda. There is a reason These unhealthy foods and beverages taste so good and are so addicting. Pure filth is put in them, bordering in poison.

Couldn't disagree more, i go out of my way to buy mexican cokes when i'm not drinking diet soda.