By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - American Farming subsidies to end- Obama worst president ever?

The only reason anyone would want farm subsidies that I can think of is for geopolitical reasons. So that in case of major war your food supply is secured. Then again everything else is pretty much made in the global economy.

Around the Network
famousringo said:
outlawauron said:
Dear Lord I hope so. Nearly all of the subsidies that are in place are no longer needed. The biggest one that needs to go is corn. Unhealthy foods and drinks have benefited much because of it.

That's just one of the problems with farm subsidies.

Why should the middle class and the rich get a discount on food? Let them pay the real price and save the financial assistance for those who can't. Increasing welfare benefits for higher food prices will cost less than subsidizing food for everybody.

Another problem is international. Farmers in poorer countries can't make a living because subsidized first world farmers overproduce and end up dumping their output on the world market at prices that unsubsidized farmers can't match. The US isn't the only offender here, but the more rich countries kill farm subsidies, the better life will get for farmers without a rich government backing them up.

Yep, interstingly, American's disproportiate love for Chicken breasts is argueably what crippled Jamaica into being so poor and relying on tourism and sweat shops... and that was before subsidies.

People tend to claim "Free Trade" screws rich nations and cheap labor jobs move elsewhere.  In reality I'd argue it's the opposite.  Rich nations benefit, and poor nation are generally hurt.

Just to get this straight:

You have to pay the right price of the product, because no subsidies artifically influence the price any longer. Now you basically pay what the product is worth.
The reaction to this is: "DAMN YOU OBAMA!" and "No it is DAMN YOU CONGRESS!"

You know that subsidies (no matter if they are American or European) basically kill any chance that 3rd world countries get any sort of export? The irony behind this is that African countries import milk poweder from the EU, because it is cheaper for them. Even though that is the only market they could actually compete with Western countries, because there is not much knowhow and or investments needed to produce milk.

Subsidies means that we pay billions (taxes) to artifically reduce a price of a product, which is not a good thing to begin with. Other producers in the world suffer from that, because they sell it for the regular price, which is a bad thing as well. What is wrong with paying the right and fair price?

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Farm subsidies served a purpose once, but they never should have been status quo. Ending them will most likely aid in a repairing of our food structure, as subsidized production farming has destroyed the quality of our health. Americans pay far less than other countries do for food, obesity is an epidemic, and our health is terrible.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

Also.... "Crisis" likely averted.

http://farmfutures.com/story-farm-bill-deal-reached-0-72184

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
famousringo said:
outlawauron said:
Dear Lord I hope so. Nearly all of the subsidies that are in place are no longer needed. The biggest one that needs to go is corn. Unhealthy foods and drinks have benefited much because of it.

That's just one of the problems with farm subsidies.

Why should the middle class and the rich get a discount on food? Let them pay the real price and save the financial assistance for those who can't. Increasing welfare benefits for higher food prices will cost less than subsidizing food for everybody.

Another problem is international. Farmers in poorer countries can't make a living because subsidized first world farmers overproduce and end up dumping their output on the world market at prices that unsubsidized farmers can't match. The US isn't the only offender here, but the more rich countries kill farm subsidies, the better life will get for farmers without a rich government backing them up.

Yep, interstingly, American's disproportiate love for Chicken breasts is argueably what crippled Jamaica into being so poor and relying on tourism and sweat shops... and that was before subsidies.

People tend to claim "Free Trade" screws rich nations and cheap labor jobs move elsewhere.  In reality I'd argue it's the opposite.  Rich nations benefit, and poor nation are generally hurt.

Free trade doesn't screw people over as much as subsidization. A government can artificially destroy an entire market through subsidized incentives. The whole process is seen as a violation of international policy.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

DirtyP2002 said:

You have to pay the right price of the product, because no subsidies artifically influence the price any longer. Now you basically pay what the product is worth.

You know that subsidies (no matter if they are American or European) basically kill any chance that 3rd world countries get any sort of export? The irony behind this is that African countries import milk poweder from the EU, because it is cheaper for them. Even though that is the only market they could actually compete with Western countries, because there is not much knowhow and or investments needed to produce milk.

Subsidies means that we pay billions (taxes) to artifically reduce a price of a product, which is not a good thing to begin with. Other producers in the world suffer from that, because they sell it for the regular price, which is a bad thing as well. What is wrong with paying the right and fair price?

Did every single person just ignore my comment?

We ARE paying for milk at what it is worth. Milk is being sold at $19-$20 per hundred pounds because farmers are able to make a profit selling it for that much (and this profit has NOTHING to do with subsidies). If the price does indeed increase to $39.53 per hundred pounds, farmers are going to be ROLLING in the money. Due to the increased price, there will likely be much less milk bought, but farmers will be able to make considerably less milk, but make such an extreme profit on it, that it honestly won't matter.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

Baalzamon said:
DirtyP2002 said:

Did every single person just ignore my comment?

We ARE paying for milk at what it is worth. Milk is being sold at $19-$20 per hundred pounds because farmers are able to make a profit selling it for that much (and this profit has NOTHING to do with subsidies). If the price does indeed increase to $39.53 per hundred pounds, farmers are going to be ROLLING in the money. Due to the increased price, there will likely be much less milk bought, but farmers will be able to make considerably less milk, but make such an extreme profit on it, that it honestly won't matter.

because there is no competition between farmers?

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

"American Farming subsidies to end".

Good.

Kasz216 said:
pokoko said:
Er. Do you have some kind of information you can share? Any details at all? As far as I know, some farm subsidies are awful and went on way, way too long. Keep in mind that I live in a rural, farming county in a farming state. I know people who made tons of money to NOT plant certain crops while still making money planting others. Look at the corn situation, where corn syrup was literally as cheap as water.

You're really going to need to give us more details if you want people to form any kind of opinion.

Couldn't agree more.   If they do get rid of the farm subsidies maybe soda can go back to superior pure sugar.'

If somehow congress ignored the huge corporate farm lobby and corn lobby and let these uneeded subsidies expire it would be great.

Holy fuggin sh-t pants. I agree. LOL