By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GameStop goes casual in 2008

it's part of buisness so accept it - if the casual games sell, then it's to GS's advantage to stock casual games

Around the Network

just pre-order the games you want.. simple

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

so gamestop will be split in half?
casuals on one side and hardcore on the other

the waves continue to crash

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

@ grandmaster

Mine still has tons small JRPGs that most would throw out.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

People are defending Gamestop now?

I'm pretty sure it was a general consensus that their workers are often misinformed and rude, their used-game structure was absurd and overpriced, and that they push Pre-orders and GI subscriptions so religiously that nauseates. Am I crazy? Isn't this basically a consensus amongst gamers? They're the McDonalds of gaming, I thought. They along with EB:

But now that Gamestop may be courting a more casual audience, it is essential that we keep their ways intact, apparently.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Sorry to get a little annoyed by the sudden defense of Gamestop, but it seems like a completely sudden reversal of opinions.

Some thing seem to be commonly understood by most as bad or corrupt in the gaming industry, and are mocked constantly. Then, it turns out that things may change -- and in particular, they may change to the benefit of casual gaming/Wii/DS.

Suddenly, that bad thing isn't so bad anymore, and people start defending it and insisting that things are just fine the way they are. If you want another example: bringing in the non-gamers. In the PS1/PS2 era, gamers in general seemed very excited about the possibility of bringing in their girlfriends and dads to play games with them. Now that it's apparent that these girlfriends and dads want to play Wii Sports, Wario Ware, Wii Fit and Brain Age, suddenly people don't seem to like the idea of bringing in the non-gamers anymore.

I'm not pointing any fingers at anyone in particular, and it's completely possible I've misread people's general attitude towards Gamestop. I'm just pointing out that it seemed to me, at least, that practically everyone disliked Gamestop for a whole host of reasons (several of which I listed above), and now there's a sudden about face on how we feel about Gamestop the second they announce they may focus more on bringing in the Wii/DS audience.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Bodhesatva said:

Sorry to get a little annoyed by the sudden defense of Gamestop, but it seems like a completely sudden reversal of opinions.

Some thing seem to be commonly understood by most as bad or corrupt in the gaming industry, and are mocked constantly. Then, it turns out that things may change -- and in particular, they may change to the benefit of casual gaming/Wii/DS.

Suddenly, that bad thing isn't so bad anymore, and people start defending it and insisting that things are just fine the way they are. If you want another example: bringing in the non-gamers. In the PS1/PS2 era, gamers in general seemed very excited about the possibility of bringing in their girlfriends and dads to play games with them. Now that it's apparent that these girlfriends and dads want to play Wii Sports, Wario Ware, Wii Fit and Brain Age, suddenly people don't seem to like the idea of bringing in the non-gamers anymore.

This happens in all industries.

Windows XP versus Windows Vista is a very good example.  People would mock XP all day long prior to Vista's release.  Suddenly after trying Vista they wanted to go back to their fast, secure, perfectly working Windows XP.

Remember when Coca-Cola released their new version?  All of a sudden everyone wanted to go back to the original and so they had to bring it back as "classic."

People generally like what they're familiar with.  They're slow moving and usually afraid of change.  Futurama had it right when it described TV Shows.  "New things make people scared and clever things make them feel dumb."  Still, people will adjust given time.  No worries.

I agree with Bod, Gamestop is (usually) an awful store. Most of their employees are condecending asses, and totally misinformed. I only go in there for used games, and only for a few minutes at a time. It's too bad they are the only store around here. I would love to buy games elsewhere.

I don't like gamestop in terms of how its ran (trade in values, used game prices, the obsession of game informer subscriptions and reserves, the abandonment of selling the classics, and the monopoly that stops other places from popping up and providing some real competition.)
But as a gamestop employee i have to give my point of view here. We may seem rude and sometimes you'll run into people who dont know anything about video games, but just imagine how annoyed you might be if 50 times a day you get asked the price of the 360 both new and used and the differences between all the models, and of course the 500 times we get asked "Do you have any Wii's?" "When will you get your next shipment?" "When was your last shipment? "How many do you normally get in a shipment?" "Can i put my name on a list?" "Can i reserve one?" "How often do you get shipments of Wii's?" "Do you have Vii?".... Trust me it will get on your nerves very quickly... So if you have an experience with a rude employee please keep in mind what we have to put up with all day... And if you are sick and tired of being asked to reserve something, think about how we feel, we get yelled at if we dont make numbers, get threatened with our jobs and if we have a really good week of reserves we get absolutely no reward.... I know what your thinking, its your job get over it, but everyone gets annoyed with their jobs at somepoint and i'm not giving an excuse for the rudeness, just an explanation of its origin.......

sorry that was kind off topic...

OT: Gamestop is becoming way too mainstream and is losing its roots..... sad