By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Tomb Raider hands-on: “a lack of meaningful interaction”

At walsufnir: Well if most games are to easy for you thats fine by me. But guess what if modern games would have control like in the old days the would be getting slamed by critics and fans. So dont blame the developers for that point. If Uncharted would have Tomb raider 1 like controls i would crush it out of the window.
Last time i have tryed to play Zelda on Wii and its surely a great game but after 2 hours i give it up playing because of the shitty controls. There was one scene where i had to jump on two threes to climp a big rock. I have tryed it about 30-40 times and failed. Thats not how i define game fun.

The same is about of the game lenght. Some gamers always want to convince me that all the older games were longer but in fact most arent. M;ost old games tended to be much lunger because they have way much trial and error than most of the modern games.

Around the Network
SunofKratos said:
Last time i have tryed to play Zelda on Wii and its surely a great game but after 2 hours i give it up playing because of the shitty controls. There was one scene where i had to jump on two threes to climp a big rock. I have tryed it about 30-40 times and failed. Thats not how i define game fun.

You gave up on a game after only 30 tries? I take it you wouldn't have ever finished an NES game if you'd be born then.

Finishing a game should sometimes take mastery of its controls.

SunofKratos said:
At walsufnir: Well if most games are to easy for you thats fine by me. But guess what if modern games would have control like in the old days the would be getting slamed by critics and fans. So dont blame the developers for that point. If Uncharted would have Tomb raider 1 like controls i would crush it out of the window.

The same is about of the game lenght. Some gamers always want to convince me that all the older games were longer but in fact most arent. M;ost old games tended to be much lunger because they have way much trial and error than most of the modern games.

My point was not only controls but many games seem to think I am stupid. "Use the switch to open door". Oh, ok, switch. Of course. Look around "bling, bling"... Oh, I found it! Activate switch, done. Really, is that fun for you?

Sure, nowadays controls like in RE1 are a horror but the game itself would still be challenging, even with modern controls. But somehow these games are not developed anymore. The RE-story is of course a great of mistakes by Capcom and it would go too far to discuss this here. The point is: the games are made for the lazy casuals although it *seems* like for core-gamers. Linear gameplay, scripted events for "wow"-effects, movie-like scenery, almost no dying anymore and so on. The devs don't want to frustrate the gamer as it seems but it feels ... strange. I don't say the games aren't fun anymore but to me too easy sometimes. And no, TR1 was a *big* game. Speedruns last several hours without using glitches and shortcuts.

walsufnir said:

I think it's even worse: games are mostly too easy. I remember me playing Tomb Raider 1 on Sega Saturn and it was a disturbing experience at first. The levels were gigantic, there was a lot of platforming, enemies were hard (because of controls also) and save-crystals were as rare as health-packs. There was one level where I played a whole week to finish it! Nowadays games show you which switch to activate (then why is there one?!), the levels are linear so you can't take the wrong direction... Everytime you play you get "forward" - there are almost no frustrating sequences. Sure, this gives players a feeling of success but I think some things could really be more challenging - enemies and level-design.

Of course not all games are like this but the very popular ones seem to fit in my description.

Yes, completely agree, I hate this new "hand-holding, all cinematic" standard industry has set in last few years. People seem to forget what TR was all about - huge levels, great enviromental puzzles, lot of exploration and platforming, and occasional, but hard enemies. Oh, and I find it so funny when people think TR became what it was cause of Lara's boobs - you could throw any random character in TR1 and it would still be just as great and genre defining game that it was, cause its gameplay was top notch (not saying anything was wrong with the boobs though ;).

This new "Tomb Raider", from eveything I've seen so far - it's more like "Dumb Raider - Adventures of Moana Croft". (oh and btw, young Lara was explorer with her mentor when she was 16 in Last Revelation, so in addition to all other stuff, this reboot for me really hits all the wrong chords in making her what they are trying to make her)

n HoloDust said:
walsufnir said:

I think it's even worse: games are mostly too easy. I remember me playing Tomb Raider 1 on Sega Saturn and it was a disturbing experience at first. The levels were gigantic, there was a lot of platforming, enemies were hard (because of controls also) and save-crystals were as rare as health-packs. There was one level where I played a whole week to finish it! Nowadays games show you which switch to activate (then why is there one?!), the levels are linear so you can't take the wrong direction... Everytime you play you get "forward" - there are almost no frustrating sequences. Sure, this gives players a feeling of success but I think some things could really be more challenging - enemies and level-design.

Of course not all games are like this but the very popular ones seem to fit in my description.

Yes, completely agree, I hate this new "hand-holding, all cinematic" standard industry has set in last few years. People seem to forget what TR was all about - huge levels, great enviromental puzzles, lot of exploration and platforming, and occasional, but hard enemies. Oh, and I find it so funny when people think TR became what it was cause of Lara's boobs - you could throw any random character in TR1 and it would still be just as great and genre defining game that it was, cause its gameplay was top notch (not saying anything was wrong with the boobs though ;).

This new "Tomb Raider", from eveything I've seen so far - it's more like "Dumb Raider - Adventures of Moana Croft". (oh and btw, young Lara was explorer with her mentor when she was 16 in Last Revelation, so in addition to all other stuff, this reboot for me really hits all the wrong chords in making her what they are trying to make her)

waht boobs?! :D

And yes, it looks like dumb raider. Why did they have to go the uncharted-way? Why? But lets hope it is different to UC or any other me2.

Around the Network
HoloDust said:
Nem said:

As for beeing able to swim... cmon... we know thats irrelevant.

Not sure if you're being serious here or not, but in case you are - swimming (diving actually) has always been one of the main staples of Tomb Raider games.

Its called fluff. It makes little impact on how good the game is. The old games didnt all of a sudden become good because you could dive and swim.

I still think theres an ammount of hating going on here. I dont see how this game and uncharted are substancially different and how one is considered thrash and the other a masterpiece. Theres a bit of logic missing from it. But, we will see when we have more info about the game.

Some of my greatest gaming memories come from the Tomb Raider series. Though I almost immediately hated the sequel, I spent many hours and did multiple playthroughs of the Tomb Raider 1 (the game only having one save probably had a lot to do with all of that). Solving the puzzles, experiencing the story, and running through the huge 3D world meant a lot to me at the time.

My personal favorite was Tomb Raider Legend. It was a bit of a series reboot, as well. It simplified the controls, gave us some epic boss battles, boosted the graphics to what, at the time, was near the industry's very best, and still maintained some brain busting puzzles. Play Tomb Raider Legend and then play Drake's Fortune and it is obvious how much Naughty Dog was influenced by it.

Tomb Raider Legend was followed by the remake of the original (Anniversary) and the puzzle filled Tomb Raider Underworld. Both were editions worthy of the Tomb Raider Name. The problem is, as great as those games were, they never did the kind of numbers expected of such a big name franchise in this day and age. Just like Resident Evil 5 before it, some big changes are being made to do what video games are supposed to do--make money.

Now, I'm adaptable. I can play a gameplay heavy title like Mark of the Ninja or 'Splosion Man and have a blast. I can play a puzzle heavy game like Fear Effect and get a feeling of great accomplishment. I can play a cinematic feeling game like The Walking Dead or Heavy Rain and greatly enjoy it. I can play an action heavy game like Gears of War and Uncharted and be totally satisfied. Looking at this Tomb Raider (and I admit that I purposely avoid almost anything pertaining to it--I want to be surprised), I don't know where it's going to fall. I just know that, if it does whatever they set out to do and it does it very well, I will enjoy it.

Starfox Adventures was a great game but it was a shitty Starfox game. I'm okay with that. This game could be a shitty Tomb Raider but if it's still a well done game and it is successful, I am fine with that, too. The way we used to game back in the day is almost extinct. Tomb Raider has to evolve or fail to exist, too. I hope the game does succeeds.

I think a YouTube walkthrough in 1080p will be enough to satisfy my hype for this game.

Ugh, at least there will be quite a few games with actual gameplay coming out next year, so I can skip this until much later

At walsufnir: Well i do understand you in some terms. Prince of Persia came in my mind. ( the one game in which you cant die)This game was made for casuals, i dont even need tow arms to play this game. I agree some games are a liitle bit to easy and are more casual friendy in difficulty.
In uncharted on the other hand i dont have the feeling that its to easy. You have three or four difficultys and i have dieed a several times( specialy in Uncharted 1 and 3).
And when i died it was because of my skills. What i dont like is if i only die because of shitty controls ( yeah than i would have propably not finsihed many snes games)

As for Tomb Raider i have no clue if it is a difficult game or not. We also didnt know on which difficulty the reviewers have played the game. But to me persoanlly Tomb Raider became intresting withLegend because it was the first Tomb Raider game where i have full control of my abilitys and the whole game became more fluid to me.