By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - To Christians: Adam/Eve vs dinosaurs?

ps3-sales! said:

Okay. So I problem is figuring out the timeline of the Earth according to Christian beliefs. Obviously, we believe in creationism and not evolution.

Only some sects do not believe in creationism. As for those that do, i.e. the point of this thread... I guess they just choose to ignore evidence to the contrary?

Around the Network

The Creation story was not real. Judaism did not have it's own "creation" story, so the Jews wrote it. All cultures have their own creation story such as Native Americans, Greeks/Romans, Celts, Bushmen, etc. None of them are correct or accurate. This is also true with the Flood stories and the like.

My coworker at my old job said that people and dinosaurs coexisted. That really irked me because of what I was taught. I'm Catholic, but I believe in evolution. I even went to a Catholic school and they taught classes on Christianity and biology. The one nun at my school actually believed in evolution and even said Adam and Eve were not real people, but symbolic in the Jewish/Catholic/Islamic faith(s) as how "humans," came into being. She told me that us humans evolved to the way we currently are, as being the image of what God had intended. Even now, there are the diverse races of humans such as Africans, Caucasians, and Asians (a lot of Native Americans and South Americans can trace their own lineage to Asia; you can tell this by facial features such as the eyes and skin tone). Africans spent more time in the sun, so their skin got tan and gained pigment. Caucasian skin stayed white/pale after being sheltered from the sun. Asians adapted to arid environments by having slanted eyes so they could block out sand.

As we became what we are now as humans, that is when God recognized and acknowledged us as being worthy enough to know of our faith, and that is when he sent His son, Jesus, as a human (Jesus is God in human form) to guide us in the faith. At least that's what "I" believe and have studied over the years.

I believe that God created the world and had a plan of what it was supposed to become. He created life and then sat back so lifeforms grew and changed. He did not interfere as much until humans came into being. I think everything had to happen naturally and within time. Dinosaurs were the apex creatures of the past. God did not destroy them by sending a meteor; it just happened and no one knows why. Life changed after they perished and other lifeforms arose to fill in the niche that dinosaurs left behind (ancient mammals).

Besides, we can all trace our lineage to the first human that was found in the southern part of Africa. The real Garden of Eden is the Fertile Crescent in the Middle-East. That is true.

miz1q2w3e said:
Max King of the Wild said:

That's good. It's just that people love to use science as absolute truth and grasp to what the evidence points to... until we observe that view was wrong and then on to the next theory to be absolutely true. (Obviously people won't say science is absolute truth but if you observe how they talk they usually don't acknowledge the possibility of their views or beliefs to be wrong just like religions due)

As for Flash Gordon's statement, he acknowledges science will be off sometimes... yet he still seems to believe it... funny how usually those people don't allow the same to religion.

Because one is the word of man, and one is the word of God, i.e. supposed to be perfect by definition. God's word is held up to a much higher standard; perfection. If ONE thing is wrong, then it's all wrong, period.

Thanks miz.  Furthermore religions tend to state something and pass it on as fact without any evidence of diligence. Science is understood to be an evolving explanation which is why even gravity is still a theory.  Scientists try to prove each other wrong all the time because science experiments to come as close to fact as possible. Science has proven time and again that it is superior to religion at explaining the physical world around us.  This is mainly because science is not static like most religions. The supernatural and things beyond our current understanding do not work well with science.  Religion is a way for some to explain these things among its other benefits.  I find it naive to expect people to give equal merit to religion at explaining the physical world when it is clearly inferior to science in this specific regard.  It is asking people to abandon logic to fit your preference.  

Sorry if I came/come off as condescending.  We can have religion and science in most instances.  They don't need to be at odds but people naturally want to convince others to agree with them.  Just respect people and accept that they have the right to believe and say what they want.  Good luck to the OP on finding what works for you.

miz1q2w3e said:

That's good. It's just that people love to use science as absolute truth and grasp to what the evidence points to... until we observe that view was wrong and then on to the next theory to be absolutely true. (Obviously people won't say science is absolute truth but if you observe how they talk they usually don't acknowledge the possibility of their views or beliefs to be wrong just like religions due)

As for Flash Gordon's statement, he acknowledges science will be off sometimes... yet he still seems to believe it... funny how usually those people don't allow the same to religion.

Because one is the word of man, and one is the word of God, i.e. supposed to be perfect by definition. God's word is held up to a much higher standard; perfection. If ONE thing is wrong, then it's all wrong, period.

But the word is interpreted by humans who are not perfect. Please extend the courtesy you want shown to your beliefs to others beliefs

With the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

_mevildan said:
peanut1972 said:

To answer your original question -

Non-Christians are not always educated to the reality there is a lot of diversity of though among Christians. There are things debated across denominations, theologies, and more. One of them is Young Earth versus Old Earth. In essence how old the earth is. I am around 85% on the Young Earth side.

How? I do not put my faith in carbon dating. I remember being in public school (very liberal and anti-Christian beliefs that are taught), and they told us it took millions of years for the Grand Canyon to be created. Then Mt St Helens erupted in my area and gouged out a valley in a few minutes. It has all those layers and according to science it would have taken thousands to millions of years for that to happen. Yet we watched on video and it happened over the span of minutes to hours. So that made me question other things science taught.  Especially when we talk theory and not fact. A fact is gravity. Evolution is a theory. Difference is the fact has been tested, and proved to be reality every single time. A theory has not been proven, and the longer a theory stays around unproven - well the less likely it is true.

I also read quite a bit on both sides of issues related to faith and science. There have been many frauds perpetrated upon the public over the years. Some of those frauds are taught in school books as fact. The Bible Answer man had that in one of his books. I verified he was right by checking my own school books when I was in school. Cave men were one of these. I do believe normal humans lived in caves - like David when he was hiding from Saul.

I do believe humans and dinosaurs lived together. We have all kinds of myths about dragons. Humans have hunted a variety of species to extinction, so it is certainly plausible our ancestors killed them off. Another theory is they were not put on Noah's Ark. There are also reports from a variety of countries of dinosaurs existing there in this day and age.

When it comes to fossils I laugh as "scientists" claim to know what their skin was like, and what colors they had, and if they had feathers or not. All from some bones that we put faith in them to put together right. There has been a long history of mistakes made in terms of fossils. From having the T-rex stand wrong to mixing pig and ape bones. How can we know they put things together right? Either we put faith in them or we don't.

Speaking of things we do not know for sure. How long did Adam and Eve stay in Eden? It may have been thousands of years, or millions of years. We have no clear picture on how long they lived there. Sin had not yet entered the world. So it was a different place. A place we may not be able to fully comprehend on this side of eternity.

There are interesting aspects that Old Earth (millions of years old) proponents can not answer. Like the decay rate of the moon, or why wasn't there more dust on the surface of the moon.

DNA exposes how messed up the belief in evolution is. The computer programs written into DNA are insanely complex - more so than we can write today in our technology age. No scientific way that is random. No transitionary species ever found, horse sizes that contradict the theory, and on and on.

I do find it humorous to see you being called ignorant for asking questions and not blinding believing in the religious belief of evolution.

Some real old chestnuts here...

Carbon dating is not used to date rocks.

A theory in science is held to higher regard than a fact.

Scientists correct their mistakes, therefore they can't be trusted?

Mt St Helens, dust on the moon... have you been watching Kent Hovind nonsense?

" The computer programs written into DNA are insanely complex" - what on earth are you talking about?

I read plenty of books exposing the holes used to date fossils, rocks, etc.  Sorry I do not take those on faith.  Hey if you want to believe in it thats your choice. Do not think everyone will share your belief in that or "scientists."  One of the points I made is scientists are human. Which means they are prone to error, and have agendas they are trying to spread.  You might be cynical of say pastors and preachers. Imagine that same cyncism applied to scientists. Take all of your arguments against the Bible and apply it to the scientists.  That is the simplest way I can explain it.

Your wrong, a scientific fact is held in a higher regard than a theory.

I have no idea who Kent Hovind is. I have studied these issues from a variety of books for decades.  I have studied ancient aliens, bigfoot, multiverse, etc.  I took the time to educate myself to wide array of origin concepts and ideas.  After decades of study the Christian relationship with God made the most logical sense to me.

Do I have all the answers?  Of course not. I do have a healthy cynicism for the agenda too many scientists have. I would suggest you brush up on genetics and DNA. Some of the recent findings of complexity and programming found within are eye opening.

Around the Network
Naraku_Diabolos said:

I'm Catholic, but I believe in evolution.

Why the "but"? My understanding is that the Catholic Church is officially on board with evolution, so long as the discussion is limited to the body and not the soul.

I'm a Deist (formerly a Christian). I choose to believe in God, but I reject the idea that he intervened in the world by sending his son, Jesus, who died on the cross for our sins.

I believe God, to some extent, created the world. But to what extent I have no idea...perhaps he created it like it says in Genesis...or perhaps he just put everything in place so the big bang could happen on it's own and create things like the Atheists say...but either way I believe God set things in motion...

Not this again.. people has the freedom to believe in a whoever wizard they will..

To say.. Gandalf is more real than allah or budha is just... a lost course..

I personal. do not belive in anything people can present.. ufo's.. gohst.. or gods..
But i still believe in life i the univers and also that the "mind" do not stop when we are dieyng.. and that we live in a "creation".. but not anything people can imagine (or make monye or power from)

FromDK said:

To say.. Gandalf is more real than allah or budha is just... a lost course..

You don't think the Buddha actually existed?

I'm not asking whether you believe in his teachings, or the events ascribed to him, just whether you believe he actually existed.

And the saying is "lost cause." Although the way it is written here would not completely fit the purpose of your post.

peanut1972 said:

To answer your original question -

Non-Christians are not always educated to the reality there is a lot of diversity of though among Christians. There are things debated across denominations, theologies, and more. One of them is Young Earth versus Old Earth. In essence how old the earth is. I am around 85% on the Young Earth side.

How? I do not put my faith in carbon dating. I remember being in public school (very liberal and anti-Christian beliefs that are taught), and they told us it took millions of years for the Grand Canyon to be created. Then Mt St Helens erupted in my area and gouged out a valley in a few minutes. It has all those layers and according to science it would have taken thousands to millions of years for that to happen. Yet we watched on video and it happened over the span of minutes to hours. So that made me question other things science taught.  Especially when we talk theory and not fact. A fact is gravity. Evolution is a theory. Difference is the fact has been tested, and proved to be reality every single time. A theory has not been proven, and the longer a theory stays around unproven - well the less likely it is true.

I also read quite a bit on both sides of issues related to faith and science. There have been many frauds perpetrated upon the public over the years. Some of those frauds are taught in school books as fact. The Bible Answer man had that in one of his books. I verified he was right by checking my own school books when I was in school. Cave men were one of these. I do believe normal humans lived in caves - like David when he was hiding from Saul.

I do believe humans and dinosaurs lived together. We have all kinds of myths about dragons. Humans have hunted a variety of species to extinction, so it is certainly plausible our ancestors killed them off. Another theory is they were not put on Noah's Ark. There are also reports from a variety of countries of dinosaurs existing there in this day and age.

When it comes to fossils I laugh as "scientists" claim to know what their skin was like, and what colors they had, and if they had feathers or not. All from some bones that we put faith in them to put together right. There has been a long history of mistakes made in terms of fossils. From having the T-rex stand wrong to mixing pig and ape bones. How can we know they put things together right? Either we put faith in them or we don't.

Speaking of things we do not know for sure. How long did Adam and Eve stay in Eden? It may have been thousands of years, or millions of years. We have no clear picture on how long they lived there. Sin had not yet entered the world. So it was a different place. A place we may not be able to fully comprehend on this side of eternity.

There are interesting aspects that Old Earth (millions of years old) proponents can not answer. Like the decay rate of the moon, or why wasn't there more dust on the surface of the moon.

DNA exposes how messed up the belief in evolution is. The computer programs written into DNA are insanely complex - more so than we can write today in our technology age. No scientific way that is random. No transitionary species ever found, horse sizes that contradict the theory, and on and on.

I do find it humorous to see you being called ignorant for asking questions and not blinding believing in the religious belief of evolution.

PS3-Sales, it is posts like this one that make it difficult for atheists and agnostics to debate this topic without blowing a fuse in their logic circuits.

And I don't mean difficult because  his points are difficult to refute (far from it) but difficult in that this is either a bait post (intended to agitate) or the poster is so ingrained in his beliefs that no manner of intellectual discourse will be fruitful.  

It reminds me of "Tide goes in, tide goes out....you can't explain that".   If you're unfamiliar with that phrase, look it up.    It makes my brain hurt just hinking about it.

The rEVOLution is not being televised